TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Mar-2012, 7:04 AM   #21
GroundUrMast

Back to the issue of satellite system parts that would block OTA signals;

Multiswitches: http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp...witches&page=1

And Diplexers: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...%28STD-9501%29

are common examples of components that would need to be removed from the cable run befor you can expect to get OTA signals from one end to the other.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Mar-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
signals unlimited

To keep it simple and affordable, I would start over. Just mount the ANT 751 on the North side of the house. Run new coax into the basement to feed the basement set. use a simple splitter to feed that set and run a seperate coax to the second set, or if it makes more sense split the coax on the side of the house and and feed the coax from there. Aim the antenna 20 degrees magnetic. This will fulfill your basic OTA needs and preserve your internal cabling, should you ever need or want to go back to some satellite or cable service.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Mar-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
signals unlimited

Don't forget to ground. Your splitter should have a ground terminal. If you place it outside, run a 12 gauge solid copper wire to a ground rod. If you split inside, run the ground wire to your service panel or the cold water pipe in your plumming.
Old 30-Mar-2012, 3:38 PM   #24
mapliopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The photo of the splitter appears to be a passive 8-way for the cable TV network, true? If so, it should work fine with OTA signals. I see terminators on three ports, so you have five TVs connected? Depending on how many sets are connected and how much cable lies between the antenna and farthest TV, you may need a preamp.
I think that's correct. I have 5 hookups around the house. I was only using two of them. Will I need terminators on the other three inside the house? It should just be right at the outlet, right? Or should I disconnect the coax from the splitters?

Sounds like I do need a pre-amp. I'll try to estimate how much cash this will set me back to consider my options.

Thanks for all the help.
mapliopl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Mar-2012, 4:20 PM   #25
mapliopl

These are what these guys usually do in Lincoln. For them to do this, it's $459... yikes. For me, if I bought their packaged antennas, coax and amps, it'd be about $300. Still pretty hefty. I think, from what I gathered here, that I could get it all done for less than $100 if I bought it all myself.

http://www.dishmanusa.com/antenna.php
mapliopl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Mar-2012, 4:57 PM   #26
signals unlimited

$100 bucks..right on! Just the RCA 751, coax and a splitter. that is all you need. simple and effective.
Old 30-Mar-2012, 5:06 PM   #27
GroundUrMast

On a tight budget, the ANT-751 makes a lot of sense.

At Amazon,
ANT-751, $48.
2-way splitter, $3.
Factory built RG-6 coax assemblies, $7 to $30 each.
Misc. ground wire & fasteners, $... job dependent.

If you are only going to connect two TVs, keep the cable runs short, and avoid wasting signal in an 8-way splitter... You should be able to avoid the need for an amplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote