TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Dec-2015, 6:57 PM   #1
HRG

Benbrook TX & CM-2016

I have a family member who lives there, and needs to upgrade from their existing equipment. Currently has a generic VHF/UHF antenna in the attic, is willing to let me put a 10' mast on the chimney w/straps, I'm thinking a Channel Master CM-2016 should do the trick.

Here is the report from their location:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b97dc88684b278

The only channels they're interested in are the following:
KDFW Fox, channel 4-1
KDVT CBS, channel 11-1
KERA PBS, channel 13-1
KXAS NBC, channel 5-1
WFAA ABC, channel 8-1

From what I can tell, all these transmit from the same basic location, 30 miles E/SE, in Cedar Hill TX

Only 2 TV's, the splitter will be 13' from the antenna, then a 10' run to the primary set, about 25' to the other TV.

Thoughts?

Thanks, HRG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-30-2015 1-52-52 PM.jpg (114.5 KB, 545 views)

Last edited by HRG; 30-Dec-2015 at 7:12 PM.
HRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings HGR,

Your family member's requirements helps greatly whittle down what antenna would yield the desired reception. There are a couple low-VHF signals in DFW (real channels 2-6) which if desired would require a different antenna. Luckily, they are a non-issue.

That said, you've chosen reasonably well. For your family member's requirement, you will need a high VHF and UHF combo antenna. If I were installing off this provided map, I might choose a Antenna's Direct Clearstream 2V-J3. This antenna supports high-VHF and UHF signals.

The reasons for this are:
1. There are 1 edge or 2 edge conditions present with good to moderate signal strengths. The 2V-J3 would allow for greater signal gathering ability. In 1 and 2 edge conditions signals can shift and bend slightly. A "panel" UHF antenna can tolerate slight shifting signals better than a yagi.

2. The greater signal gathering ability will provide better signal into your coax, thus with this antenna you ought to be be able to split your coax without the aid of any sort of amplification.

3. The 2V-J3 ought to provide signals well down into the pink shaded part of your map. Thus, even though your family member is specific in their wants, the 2V-J3 ought to give them the vast majority of the DFW market if they should find something else they like.

Your proposed set up sounds good. Are there trees or other obstructions present? Do they have a fairly open view to the E/SE? Yes, pointing towards magnetic 100 in a non-obstructed environment ought to yield pretty good results.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Note: The "J3" suffix on the SKU simply denotes a Walmart-specific line item. They had special packaging mandates that requires us to provide them with a unique SKU.

The C2V should work fine. Do not become fixated on a particular mounting location or height when installing any antenna. Locations immediately behind a hill often have signals that are scattered or layered and it usually takes some patience to find an ideal mounting location where everything plays nice. My best advice is always to not drill any holes until you've verified reception in that location, use only temporary mounts during testing.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2016, 2:49 PM   #4
HRG

Thanks all!

HRG
HRG is offline   Reply With Quote