TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Apr-2010, 3:20 AM   #1
Alkaline

Help with antenna choice

Hello,

I am interested in others opinion as to what antenna I should get. I can only place it indoors such as in a room or attic.

I just recently purchased a tv tuner for my computer and I am trying to receive as many channels as I can. Currently I am using a cheap rabbit ear antenna that pulls in about 10 channels.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c84b56e82161

thanks
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2010, 1:02 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Looks like you have Pittsburgh to the SE and Youngstown to the NW. What height did you use for the antenna? Rerun the prediction for the right height to see if some of the weaker stations (like WTAE) come up in signal. BTW, too bad you don't see WTAE's fill-in translator on ch. 22 better.

You have VHF and UHF, so you need an antenna such as the AntennaCraft HBU-22 or HBU-23. Aimed to the SE, you'll get all the Pgh. stations. It is possible to get both markets with a 4-bay bowtie antenna with NO screen. I don't know of commercially-available antennas of this design, but you can order an easily assembled kit here (get the 9.5" size). Aim SE/NW and you'll get a ton of stations. You might also benefit from a pre-amp (Winegard or ChannelMaster are good brands).
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Apr-2010, 2:29 PM   #3
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I'd personally be very leery of a screen-less bow-tie type antenna in an attic, since we have no idea of the multipath conditions that may exist in the attic. HVAC ducting, foil-backed insulation, stucco exterior walls or aluminum siding can play havoc with any indoor or attic-mounted antenna. If you want to insure proper reception of all of the Pittsburgh and Youngstown stations, use a Winegard HD-7694P or an AntennaCraft HBU-33 or HBU-44 mounted on an antenna rotator like a Channel master 9521a or an AntennaCraft TDP-2 on the highest part of your roof: you may be able to get away with less, but there is no way to know for sure based on your TVFool.com report.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Apr-2010, 3:23 AM   #4
Alkaline

Thank you for the suggestions. This has been an extremely fun project to start my htpc. The computer part I understand but the antenna jargon has been a challenge to comprehend. This sight has been really great to read and thank you two for responding and helping me.

My attic has blown in insulation and I have vinyl siding. I do not have HVAC ducting nor stucco exterior walls in attic. I am running my computer on the second floor which if measured from ground level to attic it would be around 20feet.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c821f2e42338

Last edited by Alkaline; 4-Apr-2010 at 3:25 AM.
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote