Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2014, 5:22 PM   #1
tkjones

Antenna Recommendation

Hi all,
Just looking for a bit of help with my setup. Here's my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2436d2547ed58

I want to put an antenna in my attic and then send that signal through the house. From the other posts in here, I'm guessing the recommendation is going to be to put an HBU-44 up there and point it north west. Am I right? Will I need an amplifier as well?
Thanks,
tkj.
tkjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2014, 6:24 PM   #2
elmo

That seems like a big antenna for the job. You certainly wouldn't need that much outside. The attic will have some impact though. Are you sure you have room in the attic for it? I'd think about the HBU-22 instead. A lot more maneuverable and should pull pretty well. Think about roof materials - metals, foils, etc make a nice Faraday experiment. Also consider trees nearby. NW is pretty much your direction, but consider that it may tune better at off angles due to being in the attic. I have one small antenna in the attic for a single station and I was surprised to find a better signal strength about 15 degrees off what I expected. If only we could turn on visible RF and watch it come bouncing in!
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2014, 6:37 PM   #3
tkjones

It's a big attic - one room on top of the second floor that's probably 1500 sq ft. I could probably mount the antenna at 25 or 30 feet above the ground. I think I'll be able to clear the nearby trees. The roofing is shingles. I already have an RCA ANT1650F set up on the wall in my 2nd floor bedroom. It works fairly well to pull in about 5 channels but it's a flat mount so I'm unable to point it effectively at a tower. There are times when one or two of those channels fail. This is why I'd like a larger, more reliable antenna to feed the whole house.

I know the other option is to mount an antenna on the roof but I feel like I'd have to bring in a pro to do that and I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on it.
tkjones is offline   Reply With Quote