TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2013, 6:51 PM   #1
BobHaskett

Setup Help

I cut my Time Warner Cable this month after debating over it for a while.

My TVFool report is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddad5495e5145

We have 6 rooms that would ideally get the local channels.

Any equipment suggestions?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by BobHaskett; 13-Mar-2013 at 6:11 PM.
BobHaskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2013, 7:12 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

I would be quite a bit more aggressive in my selection of an antenna. A larger all channel antenna such as the Winegard HD7084P would be my choice. I believe you'll need the added gain for both the Low-VHF and the UHF signals. Also, I would opt for a preamp with better noise performance, I'm thinking of the Antennas Direct PA-18.

A satellite J-pole is a bit small if not guyed, also, the antenna needs to be high enough to 'see' over, not through the roof. Can you chimney or gable mount?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2013, 8:50 PM   #3
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I would be quite a bit more aggressive in my selection of an antenna. A larger all channel antenna such as the Winegard HD7084P would be my choice. I believe you'll need the added gain for both the Low-VHF and the UHF signals. Also, I would opt for a preamp with better noise performance, I'm thinking of the Antennas Direct PA-18.

A satellite J-pole is a bit small if not guyed, also, the antenna needs to be high enough to 'see' over, not through the roof. Can you chimney or gable mount?
Wow, that antenna is huge. Would I need to be more aggressive due to the distance, or because I need 6 rooms?

I do not have a chimney. I would really like to re-use the satellite mount if possible. Would rather not have a bunch of equipment mounted on my roof if I can avoid it. I can take a picture of my satellite mount when I get home if it helps.

Last edited by BobHaskett; 14-Feb-2013 at 9:46 PM.
Old 14-Feb-2013, 9:25 PM   #4
teleview

Above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not blocking reception to the , north - north east , install a Winegard HD7082P antenna with a Winegard AP8275 preamp , aimed at about 25 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The Leviton 6 way splitter is not power passing , so install the AP8275 / power inserter / power supply , before the splitter input.

Here are some - Strong - and - Sturdy - roof top antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html. If using the tripod antenna mount use the 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. If using the eave antenna mount use the #4560.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.

http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

As always trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the HD7082P antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Digital Tv Setup Menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com.

Last edited by teleview; 15-Feb-2013 at 2:07 PM.
Old 15-Feb-2013, 4:27 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHaskett View Post
Wow, that antenna is huge. Would I need to be more aggressive due to the distance, or because I need 6 rooms?

I do not have a chimney. I would really like to re-use the satellite mount if possible. Would rather not have a bunch of equipment mounted on my roof if I can avoid it. I can take a picture of my satellite mount when I get home if it helps.
The signal levels shown in your report are the deciding factor. You need the larger antenna to ensure a reliable signal at the output of the antenna. If you have a reliable signal at the antenna, the correct amplifier will then be able to drive all the rooms you want. (An amplifier is not an antenna, nor even a poor substitute for one.)
Old 15-Feb-2013, 1:15 PM   #6
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not blocking reception to the , north - north west , install a Winegard HD7082P antenna with a Winegard AP8275 preamp , aimed at about 25 degree magnetic compass direction.
Thanks for all the help guys. Few questions.

Do you mean North-NorthWest or North-NorthEast? Looks like my signal will be coming slightly form the NE. Also, just for my own edification, why do you say 25 degrees when the channels are coming from 16, 17, and 20 degrees?
Old 15-Feb-2013, 3:01 PM   #7
teleview

I corrected it to say , north - north east.

WHTN-DT REAL channel 38 is at 54 degree magnetic compass direction.

WSMV-TV REAL channel 10 is at 12 degree magnetic compass direction.

25 degree magnetic compass direction is a in between aim direction.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength meter and some Digital Tv have a Signal Quality Meter.

I see the Low Signal Strengths of , FOX , CW , ION.

I am aware of the ongoing situation with , WMB channel 5 that is not on the air , and , WTVF Channel 5 and WTVF channel 25.

I see the 2 edge path obstructions , 2 or more hills/mountains , in the tvfool channel list.

I think about the trees that are most likely close/in the area to the house and other obstructions that are most likely close/in the area to the house.

And and the continuing reception reports from the question askers that are installing antennas.

And more , technical , practical , useful , information , that I have not listed here.

And the many years I have of installing antennas.

And I say to My Self.

Better to Go Big for this recommendation , so as to have Reliable Reception.

However as always , you are 100% Free to install any antenna and antenna system that you choose.

You are 100% Free to Test and Experiment.

There are Many , advisors , suggesters , recommenders , all across the internet and every where , that have something to say about Tv reception.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Mar-2013 at 2:07 AM.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 5:25 PM   #8
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
I corrected it to say , north - north east.

WHTN-DT REAL channel 38 is at 54 degree magnetic compass direction.

WSMV-TV REAL channel 10 is at 12 degree magnetic compass direction.

25 degree magnetic compass direction is a in between aim direction.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength meter and some Digital Tv have a Signal Quality Meter.

I see the Low Signal Strengths of , FOX , CW , ION.

I am aware of the ongoing situation with , WMB channel 5 that is not on the air , and , WTVF Channel 5 and WTVF channel 25.

I see the 2 edge path obstructions , 2 or more hills/mountains , in the tvfool channel list.

I think about the trees that are most likely close/in the area to the house and other obstructions that are most likely close/in the area to the house.

And and the continuing reception reports from the question askers that are installing antennas.

And more that I have not listed here.

And the many years I have of installing antennas.

And I say to My Self.

Better to Go Big for this recommendation , so as to have Reliable Reception.

However as always , you are 100% Free to install any antenna and antenna system that you choose.

You are 100% Free to Test and Experiment.

There are Many , advisors , suggesters , recommenders , all across the internet and every where , that have something to say about Tv reception.
Do you think I could get FOX with the 7082 mounted in an attic? What about CBS and NBC?

Last edited by BobHaskett; 13-Mar-2013 at 6:12 PM.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 5:29 PM   #9
BobHaskett

Oops. Double post.

Last edited by BobHaskett; 13-Mar-2013 at 6:12 PM.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 6:13 PM   #10
teleview

I have given you my best shot at recommendation for Reliable Reception at your location.

The preamplifier I have recommended is a High Gain preamplifier.

Most likely , Fox , CW , ION , will not be received with antenna in the attic.

There Are No - Magic Tv Antennas , There Are No - Magic Tv Antenna System Amplifiers.

The -->Only Way<-- to know for sure , is put the HD7082P antenna in the attic.

---->As always you are 100% Free to do any type or kind of antenna installation<----.

You can listen to and follow your own advice , You can listen to and follow other peoples advice.

One other advisor has provided a recommendation.

There are other advisors here at tvfool , perhaps they can provide a recommendation and solution.

At some point You will take Action on What You Know.

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can Install a Broadcast Tv antenna Above The Roof , so as to have Reliable Reception.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

Please report on your installation and reception experience so that others can gain knowledge.

Last edited by teleview; 16-Feb-2013 at 9:18 PM.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 7:55 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

Agreed, you can try in the attic, but outside in the clear is a better choice. How your attic affects your reception is impossible to predict accurately.
Old 16-Feb-2013, 9:51 PM   #12
BobHaskett

Understood. Thanks for all the assistance.
Old 18-Feb-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
BobHaskett

Okay, I know you guys have already given your recommendations. However, I have an update. I went up on the roof with a RCA Antenna today and was able to receive ABC, NCB, CBS, and FOX.

They were all either in the Normal or Good range on my TV. None were in the "Weak". Is there an antenna that would get better reception than the RCA, but is not as big as the 7082 or 7084? Something closer to the size of the ANT751R at Lowes?

Thanks

Last edited by BobHaskett; 13-Mar-2013 at 6:13 PM.
Old 18-Feb-2013, 3:08 AM   #14
No static at all

My minimum recommendation would be the Winegard 7694P if mounted outside. If you will be mounting in the attic, my minimum suggestion would be the HBU-33.

A wide LO band antenna is not necessary as CBS is simulcast on UHF.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Feb-2013, 4:26 AM   #15
BobHaskett

Looks like the 7694 doesn't claim the same range (40miles) as the ANT751r. Is that just marketing stuff? It claims 35 mile UHF and 25 Mile VHF.

What do you think about the Clearstream products?

Last edited by BobHaskett; 13-Mar-2013 at 6:13 PM.
Old 18-Feb-2013, 2:13 PM   #16
No static at all

Mileage ratings are pretty much useless when evaluating real world performance. The actual specifications are a much better parameter.

The C2V should work for you outside since the ANT751 tested well for you yesterday. The C2V is not quite as sensitive on VHF, but your weakest channels are UHF. I wouldn't recommend the C2V in the attic since the signals will be weaker & the potential for multipath interference is much higher, especially with VHF.
Old 18-Feb-2013, 8:45 PM   #17
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Mileage ratings are pretty much useless when evaluating real world performance. The actual specifications are a much better parameter.

The C2V should work for you outside since the ANT751 tested well for you yesterday. The C2V is not quite as sensitive on VHF, but your weakest channels are UHF. I wouldn't recommend the C2V in the attic since the signals will be weaker & the potential for multipath interference is much higher, especially with VHF.
Is the 7694 stronger than the C2v across the board? 7694 would be the biggest antenna I would want. Really just looking for anything a bit stronger than the 751R no more than roughly a foot or two longer/wider. Much bigger than that and I think the Mrs would rather just do without.

Last edited by BobHaskett; 18-Feb-2013 at 8:51 PM.
Old 19-Feb-2013, 1:33 AM   #18
No static at all

They are about the same on UHF, but the 7694 is better on VHF than the C2V. The C2v should work fine if mounted outside.
Old 19-Feb-2013, 2:12 AM   #19
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
They are about the same on UHF, but the 7694 is better on VHF than the C2V. The C2v should work fine if mounted outside.
Thanks. So my last question is what would be the best configuration. I have 2 options.

Option 1

The best place I have found with optimal LOS at 16 degrees for the reception of ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX is about 3 feet from an attic vent. I can install the C2V, run the RG6 in to the attic vent utilizing about 10 feet of cable, then install a preamp (the Winegard AP8275 was suggested above). From there, I would need to run about 5 feet of RG6 to a 3-Way Splitter. One of the outputs would go to the bonus room (15 feet), one would go to the bedroom upstairs (25 feet), and one would go to the crawl space (50 feet) joining to another splitter. In the crawl space I would need to install a 4-Way splitter. One output would go to the deck (25 feet), one would go to the living room (15 feet), one would go to the bedroom (15 feet), and one would go to the kitchen (25 feet). The reason being, is all the cable from my existing satellite comes in to the crawl space. Would I need the preamp AND a distribution amp?

Option 2

Option two requires a longer run from the antenna to the preamp, but only one splitter. I would run the RG6 from the antenna, down the front of the roof (is running RG6 on the Roof not tied down OK?). It would then run down a gutter, in to the crawl space. The total run from the antenna to the preamp location would be about 50 feet. Then from the preamp I could connect a 6 way splitter and feed all lines in the house. Would I need a preamp and a distribution amp?
Old 19-Feb-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
No static at all

I like option 2 better, but would opt for an 8 way amplified splitter instead of a pre-amp. Daisy chaining passive splitters after a preamp results in way too much signal loss downstream.

Why don't you just try this scenario with the ANT751 first since you already have it? If you find this set-up doesn't provide enough signal, you can move up to the C2V or 7694 antenna to improve UHF gain down the 50 foot cable run. VHF signal loss in 50 feet of RG-6 will not be a concern.