TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Sep-2015, 12:31 AM   #1
SOBTV

Recommendation for antenna

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some recommendations on the proper antenna and hardware to receive local channels.
I live in Virginia Beach VA. 23457 and I do have a 20ft pole from a old antenna that I can mount something to.
I look forward to your recommendations and thank you.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e0342d9658692
SOBTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome to the forum, SOBTV:

Your signals are quite strong and in the same direction. You can mount an RCA ANT751 or a Winegard HD7694P antenna and aim it to 301 degrees magnetic with a pocket compass, not a smart phone compass.

You should be OK if there are no trees or other buildings in the signal path. You don't need an amp unless you are feeding more than one TV and the coax lines are very long.

The coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Sep-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
SOBTV

I purchase and installed the Winegard HD7694P, there are a row of pine tree in the line of site. I'm getting tv/signal distortion what amp would you recommend?
Old 25-Sep-2015, 1:39 AM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem. Now you know why I mentioned trees in my previous post. Most people want to put their antenna in the most convenient location, but it needs to be put in a location where the signals are good.

There is no magic antenna that will "see" through trees. Sometimes it is possible to mount the antenna in the best location you have, and add a preamp if the signals are weaker because of the trees. Attachment 1 shows how a tree will damage a signal and attachment 2 shows many trees in your area, but I don't have your exact address.

The problem in strong signal areas is that the preamp might be overloaded because of too much of a good thing. It's not just a matter of signal strength, but also of signal quality to have as few errors possible in the digital stream of information which cause pixilation and picture freeze.

Can you show us a photo of where the antenna is aimed at 301 degrees magnetic so that we can see what's in the way?

How long is the RG6 coax from the antenna to the TV? How many TVs are you feeding. What TV or other device are you using as a tuner?

If it's just a matter of too much loss because of long coax lines to more than one TV, then a distribution amp can replace a splitter.

If you are having a problem with just one TV, then MAYBE a preamp might help. There is no way I can guarantee it will help, but you might be willing to gamble on a Channel Master 7778 or an RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp mounted at the antenna.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trees and UHF2.JPG (101.4 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg SOBTVtvfTREES.JPG (197.3 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpg SOBTVtvf FM est.JPG (107.8 KB, 667 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 25-Sep-2015 at 2:21 AM.
Old 28-Sep-2015, 8:13 PM   #5
SOBTV

Dam you googled right on me 3rd house in. The cable is 40ft and the pole is about 20ft. I only have one TV hooked to it.
I notice on a rough day with a lot of wind and some clouds it does really bad, but it seems to do a lot better on a nice day.
I could add another poll if need be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sobtvant.jpeg (201.8 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpeg sobtvtree.jpeg (371.2 KB, 579 views)

Last edited by SOBTV; 29-Sep-2015 at 1:20 AM.
Old 28-Sep-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the report and letting me know my guess was close. I don't usually find out because we want to protect your identity.

I hope your experiments will improve your reception.