TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Jun-2014, 8:24 AM   #1
txakura

From one extreme to the other...

I moved thirty-five miles closer to the transmitters I can receive OTA broadcasts from. At my old location I had a small directional antenna with an amplifier which allowed me to receive any station I wanted. Now that I've moved, I'm practically underneath the transmitter locations (7 miles to one, 14 miles to another and others more or less than that.) The 7-mile location has NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS and PBS. As can be seen from my radar scan, all of those channels should be able to be picked up with an indoor antenna. The reality is, "not quite." There is absolutely no obstruction between the antenna and the transmitter site. The fact the transmitter is over 3,000 feet above my location might be an issue, though. The 14-mile location is even higher, by a couple of hundred feet.

I started with an omni-directional amplified antenna (Winegard "Flying Saucer") about 20 feet above the ground on a mast. Way too much signal. The AM-21 tuner into which the antenna was connected couldn't provide any picture. After posting to the DirecTV forum, I changed to the other extreme, a pair of rabbit ears in my den. They are able to provide picture for all the transmitters from the seven-mile location (the PBS channel and the CBS channel, which I guess are lower power, manage to show pixelization at times) I still receive no pictures from the 14-mile location. I'm thinking about going back outside with a non-amplified omnidirectional on the mast. Anyone have model suggestions - or other suggestions?

Further info - that I'm surprised at: The 14-mile transmitter site - at almost exactly 180 degrees - is shaded by a gigantic oak tree just outside my house. The tree only affects the rabbit ears antenna, though. The antenna mast is far enough back on the house to have a clear direct line (partly because it is as high as it is) to the transmitter site. So... Looks like it would be of benefit to me to use the antenna mast for something because the tree may be the cause of no reception from that direction. Don't know if that helps, but it seems it might.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-Digital.png (123.7 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by txakura; 9-Jun-2014 at 9:38 PM. Reason: Additional information
txakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jun-2014, 1:45 PM   #2
teleview

+=>

Is best to not to be so close to the Tv transmitters and Radio transmitters.

Having a choice of distance , 30 to 40 miles , with little to no obstructions in directions of reception is good for reception.

-----------------------

For your location.

Above the Peak of the Roof install a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU11K antenna aimed at , 110 degree magnetic compass direction , a in between aim direction of the 2 main groups of Tv stations.

A antenna system amplifier is not required.

-----------------------

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

Last edited by teleview; 11-Jun-2014 at 6:35 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 1-Aug-2014, 7:48 AM   #3
txakura

I knew somewhere I had a question/post for which I had not posted the answer I finally used.

Because I have two transmission locations at almost exactly 90-degrees - and am within 11 miles of the farthest, I ended up using a "directional" antenna (Solid Signal HDB8X), which allowed me to aim half of the antenna toward one location and the second half at the other location. The amount of signal I need at these distances is more-than-met by the antenna in this configuration. I was very surprised how simple the solution was. I certainly didn't think this arrangement was possible, and would never have come up with it without the help of a tech support person at Solid Signal.
txakura is offline   Reply With Quote