TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Dec-2013, 7:43 PM   #1
Aphilippi

Trying to pick up cw

First off here is my tvfool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae9a32160855

My setup is an antennas direct db8 mounted about 20' up on my garage roof which is 200' from the house in a wooded area. I also have a winegard lna200 low noise amp. The way it is now I get several channels but would really like to receive Wbui 23.1. I'm receiving 2.1 38.1 10.1 16.1 51.1 15.1 17.1 3.1 . Is there anything I could do to receive more channels in particular 23.1? Would I benefit by adding another antenna or getting a different one? Thanks for the help
Aphilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2013, 9:54 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
------
WBUI , Real UHF channel 22 , virtual number (23.1) , The CW , is very weak signal strength , at minus -5.4 NM(dB) .

Install the DB8 above the roof in such a manner that the roofs and buildings are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North North West , South South West , East South East.

Aim the DB8 at about 312 degree magnetic compass direction.
WBIU , The CW .

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

----------

For the purpose of the Test of reception have only 1 Tv connected , No splitters.

------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roofs and buildings.

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path reflecting Tv signals bouncing all around.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location and height above ground that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roofs and buildings.

How is reception now??

-----

Last edited by teleview; 15-Dec-2013 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 15-Dec-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
phone man

Hi, You didn't mention how your antenna was aimed which has me wondering what happens when you point it directly at ch23
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2013, 2:27 AM   #4
Aphilippi

I don't know what degree it's pointed but it's facing northwest.
Old 15-Dec-2013, 2:46 AM   #5
phone man

You're pointing a narrow beamed antenna at a weak station. Your initial aim may have to be within a few degrees of 312 as indicated in your tvfool report before ch23 will be picked up in a fresh channel scan.

Your garage is in the woods? How clear is the view to the NW?
Old 15-Dec-2013, 3:52 AM   #6
Aphilippi

My house is in the woods and the garage is on the edge about 200' away to the east so the woods are on the west side of garage. So what you're saying is I just need to turn the antenna at slight increments and scan each time to see if I pick it up? Would I benefit by adding another antenna or getting a different one?
Old 15-Dec-2013, 3:45 PM   #7
phone man

See post #2 above. Teleview laid it out pretty well.

With a clear unobstructed view (very important) toward 312 degrees, your DB8 should be capable of picking up real ch22 provided you're not losing signal between the antenna and your TV. A mock set up with one TV near your antenna and a known good length of coax might be helpful and would eliminate any mistakes in your signal distribution. BTW, have you added up your signal loss from antenna to TV?
Get a compass. Get away from buildings and determine which way 312 degrees is and set a landmark to aim by. Do a fresh scan. If nothing shows move the antenna 5 degrees either side and scan again. Try at different times of the day too. Weak signals seem to worse mid afternoon and stronger late in the evening or early morning.

Coincidentally, my CW affiliate is also 66 miles away, 2 edge and signal strength is -3. I have a clear view toward the broadcast tower with no tall trees within 500 ft. I'm using an eight bay antenna similar to yours with a 17 db pre amp, one three way splitter. My longest coax run is 120' to a TV in the bedroom. I rarely experience any drop outs or problems with this channel.
Old 15-Dec-2013, 5:12 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
-------
Phone mans , 'Testing' recommendation of connecting a Tv closer to the antenna before any long runs of coax and before any splitters is a good recommendation.

Also 'Test' reception with , no preamplifier , no power injector , no power supply.

Most Digital Tv's have a , Signal Strength Meter , and some Digital Tv's also have a , Signal Quality Meter.

After the reception Test , I recommend , have the LNA-200 , power injector and power supply , close to the antenna and preamplifier unit , before any long coax runs and before any splitters.
Old 15-Dec-2013, 6:21 PM   #9
Aphilippi

Thanks for all the help guys. I probably won't be able to tinker with it until the snow melts off the roof. The only problem I can see is it's facing a large woods of mature trees. I won't be able to get above the trees but would it be worth it to get it 10' or so higher? It's about 20' up now. I hate to waste my time if it won't matter much because I won't ever be able to get above the trees. Thanks again and sorry for so Many questions
Old 15-Dec-2013, 9:59 PM   #10
teleview

+=>
-------
Home Depot and Lowes , have 10 foot lengths of , Top Rail , fence pipe , the cost of the Top Rail fence pipe is low dollars.

On a Non windy day you can use the Top Rail fence pipe to get the antenna up higher in the air as a Test to see what happens.

If the antenna is installed above the roof of the house , move the antenna away from trees in the direction of reception is a good idea.

-----------------------------------

And here is a way to use a tall straight tree to get the antenna Up High.

http://www.ronard.com/tree_adjust.html.

The idea is to use a tall straight tree to get the antenna up high for better and less obstructed reception path/s to the transmitter/s.

Cutting away branches for a less obstructed reception and to keep branches from whipping around and breaking the antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 17-Dec-2013 at 6:12 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.