TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Apr-2012, 5:54 AM   #21
Tamerlane

I am open to all the suggestions here, but for my next step I think I will try a yagi, probably the 91XG, and then a channel filter.

On the antenna question, I didn't realize the 91XG without extension was more or less a 43XG. This flexibility would indeed be handy in my situation. No Static (or anyone), can you tell me whether installing the 91XG without extension, using factory mount, results in an L-shaped antenna or would there still a 'tail' behind the mast?

I read that the retail 43XG installed on a pole is L-shaped, like say the Winegard HD9075P (which also could help in my case).
Tamerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2012, 6:06 AM   #22
GroundUrMast

Just double checked my 91XG... With or without the front section installed, there will be antenna boom and elements both in front and behind the mast.

Rather than an "L" you will have a "T" shape with the antenna mounted on a mast.

The 42XG is going to be different, more like an "L" arrangement. http://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_f...structions.pdf

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Apr-2012 at 6:08 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2012, 7:01 PM   #23
Tamerlane

Thank you for checking that. The 'T' shape on the longish yagis unfortunately adds another challenge to my installation.

Would it be a major compromise to my particular objectives to get an L-shaped yagi, such as the HD9075 you mentioned, or the 43XG (if it is in fact L-shaped)? An online user review of the retail 43XG claims: "The factory mounting has this antenna sticking out from the mast its entire length of 4ft like an upside down 'L'."
Old 30-Apr-2012, 8:38 PM   #24
GroundUrMast

As others have already observed, your problem is not a lack of signal power from WNED. If not for the powerful local signals, you would be receiving signals from Buffalo with little difficulty.

Does the information provided by Tower Guy and this thread, http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024 make sense to you? Or is the information overly technical?

The shorter antennas can be used to make a tuned antenna array, but you alone can judge your skills and ability to succeed at such a construction project.

Old 5-May-2012, 5:32 PM   #25
Tamerlane

I have been investigating some of the options discussed and I inquired about filter/trap options with a local shop that was suggested here. I was quoted $250.

Is this typical for what I am looking for -- an application that can reduce/suppress the signal from channel 44 without affecting channel 43? I am hoping there is a more affordable option out there.
Old 6-May-2012, 3:37 AM   #26
GroundUrMast

Unfortunately there are few sources for filters of this type. You are looking for a product that is 'custom' in nature and of interest to a small audience. Considering that the test equipment needed to do the final tuning would cost you or I, tens of thousands of dollars, $250 is not at all unexpected.

Old 7-May-2012, 5:29 AM   #27
Tamerlane

Thanks. Let's say I only cared about receiving channel 43 and was not picky about attenuating more than just channel 44, is there any way an off-the-shelf variable trap like the Winegard UT-2700 could work in my situation?

http://www.winegard.com/offair/traps.php
Old 7-May-2012, 6:17 AM   #28
GroundUrMast

If properly tuned, the UT-2700 is a potential competitor of the tinlee.com filter. However, per Winegard, it effects four channels above and below the channel it's tuned to.

However, before buying a filter and the test gear needed to tune it, consider that 'adjacent channel interference' is a bit of a misnomer. A properly tuned, legally operating transmitter is not perfect. It does not transmit 100% of it's RF in the assigned frequency range. Government regulations accommodate the reality that a very small amount of RF will be generated at frequencies outside the channel boundaries. When signals from two transmitters are nearly equal in strength at a receiving location, the very low levels of 'off-channel' emissions may be tolerated by a receiver. But when one signal source is very strong relative to another on an adjacent channel, the strength of 'off-channel' emissions is great enough to interfere with the weaker signal. (It would be cumbersome to to say, "On channel interference generated by an adjacent channel transmitter". But that would be a better description of the problem.)

In your case there is a 30 dB (1000:1 power difference) between the CITY, real CH-44 signal and the WNED, real CH-43 signal. Therefor the 'off-channel' emissions from CITY are 1000 times more significant as a source of interference to the WNED signal.

A perfect filter tuned to CH-44 will control the 'on-channel' signal from CITY but will still pass real CH-43 frequencies, including those generated by sources other than the WNED transmitter.

Your best hope for reception of WNED is to build, tune/adjust an antenna that has little sensitivity in the direction of CITY while having optimum sensitivity in the direction of WNED. A quality bandpass filter tuned to CH-43 may help, but I doubt a filter by itself will provide a reliable reception solution. Success lies in maximizing reception of the RF radiated from WNED while minimizing reception of the RF from CITY, including both the on-channel and off-channel emissions.

So, how would you answer the question posed in post 24 of this thread?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-May-2012 at 6:22 AM.
Old 10-May-2012, 6:16 PM   #29
Tamerlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
So, how would you answer the question posed in post 24 of this thread?
Thanks again for all the helpful responses. To answer your question, I have been making my way through the links on stacking / ganging. Some of the technical discussion is over my head but the practical technique does not seem prohibitively difficult to experiment with.

I was of course initially drawn to the idea of a better antenna and/or filter in the hopes these would be cheaper, simpler and more acceptable to the aesthetic demands of other people affected given the constraints of my deck installation.