TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Feb-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
mattp

Antenna for about 25 kms

Hi:
I've put up one antenna at a location so have a minute amount of experience.
I've cut the Satillite cable and am putting in an antennat upstairs in this house. Here is the TV report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...055929a2075a0b
For the TV in the upstairs I'm thinking of the Digiwave ANT4008 Indoor & Outdoor TV Antenna with Booster. It will be inside.
Question would this Antenna work or do I need something more robust.
Any advice would help.
thanks folks.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
Jake V

With an indoor antenna (any indoor antenna) you MIGHT get a few of the yellow stations on your list. But you really need an outdoor antenna, and one of the more powerful ones.

What channels do you want? You'd get different recommendations if you just want the Ontario stations and if you wanted both the Ontario stations and some of the Erie stations. But they'd have to be on the roof in the open air with a decent view SE.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2015, 1:04 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

The ANT-4008 is really little more than a single UHF loop antenna, which will perform about the same as the UHF loop on a traditional UHF/VHF rabbit ear style indoor antenna. The addition of an amplifier doesn't add to the performance of this or any other antenna... Amplifiers are only capable of overcoming losses in cable and splitters on the output side of the amp.

Jake V is correct, if you want to see more than one or two signals, a larger antenna needs to be mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions. The Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R would give you a very good shot at seeing some US signals in addition to the local signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2015, 1:50 AM   #4
mattp

aha!

Thanks guys.
I was going to just try and bring in the stations in the green and yello zones. I tried the Google earth 3D map, but it worldn't work so your help is much appreciated. Probably I'll go with the bigger outdoor as it would be relatively simply with a short cable run to put it just outside the room upstairs where we can to place the little TV.
I'll go with the outside one I think.
thanks again.
M.
p.s. I have a clearstream 2V at our summer place which is north of London by 30-40 kms, maybe I'll mount one of those outside, easily done.
thanks again.

Last edited by mattp; 6-Feb-2015 at 1:55 AM. Reason: forgot to mention another point.
Old 6-Feb-2015, 2:08 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

The CS2 has a descent shot at the signals with LOS path conditions. I doubt the VHF option will add any reliable reception, it lacks the gain and directivity needed to chase down the weak signal from WICU.

Old 6-Feb-2015, 2:38 PM   #6
Hamilton Ham

mattp,
You might want to check the coordinates for your TV fool report. By my calculations it puts you about 14 miles south of the lake erie shoreline, in the middle of the lake!
Hamilton Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2015, 3:15 PM   #7
Jake V

HH makes a good point. Use these instructions to make a new TV Fool Report and post the link to it: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2015, 11:09 PM   #8
mattp

O.K.
ran it again using the instructions for when the database can't quite understand the address.
Got this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c157b956556aa.
Did one by getting the lat and lon and it looks even worse.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c157b956556aa
However, as at this time I'm just seeking the London stations - to the North WEst, these reports seem to indicate that this will be possible. When I finally cut the sat. cable for good, then I'll put up some better equipment.
thanks
Old 6-Feb-2015, 11:19 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

The two links appear to be the same URL...

Presuming the report is correct, and you only want to see the stations listed in the top green range of the report, then my first recommendation is far more antenna and expense than needed.

Small UHF only antennas such as the Antennas Direct CS2, Antennacraft U2000 and similar non-amplified designs will work well... Some indoor settings may not work due to building penetration loss and interference sources inside the building. Mounting outdoors, clear of obstructions is your best choice.

Old 6-Feb-2015, 11:24 PM   #10
mattp

I'll give it a go, and then post how it went
Thank you so much
The adventure continues!