TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Sep-2015, 5:28 AM   #1
HDTV-OTA

Seattle Everett Antenna Help

Below is my tvfool report. Any recommendations on any antennas such as the DB8, 4228HD or any large Yagi? Thanks for your help.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e0374fb85b4dc
HDTV-OTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2015, 2:21 PM   #2
Tower Guy

The two antennas you mention are not designed for FOX or PBS reception from Seattle. Consider an HD 7698P yagi style.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2015, 7:04 PM   #3
HDTV-OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
The two antennas you mention are not designed for FOX or PBS reception from Seattle. Consider an HD 7698P yagi style.
Tower Guy - Thanks for the solid response. I've read some good reviews and specs on the HD7698 yagi. This yagi is approximately 14' Ft in length. I would compare the physical characteristics of this 7698 to the HD8200U Platinum but the 7698 is much narrower in width. I would like to mount this 7698 on top of my chimney(faux) but I'm uncertain if HOA would have something to say about it.
Old 22-Sep-2015, 8:00 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The 8200 has low-VHF elements for which you have no use.

Re: The HOA - See https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-...n-devices-rule

Additional tips and info:

KCPQ (Fox) also operates a 15 kW UHF translator on channel 22 from Capital Hill. Your odds are way better of getting the VHF 13 signal from Bremerton with the right antenna.

KCTS (PBS) operates only on VHF 9 in your area. If you want them, you'll need the appropriate antenna.

Same for KSTW (CW) on ch 11.

The second PBS station in the area, KBTC from Tacoma, operates the channel 24 translator from Bellingham. The translator should come in on the back of most antennas. Their programming varies from KCTS.

Many areas around Everett suffer from poor reception. If you're on the back side of a hill looking into a forest, you'll probably end up in that category.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2015, 9:02 PM   #5
HDTV-OTA

Thanks ADTech, Good point on the 8200 low VHF not useful for my purpose. Thanks for the FCC guide. I have a single family home with HOA. Our community does not have a central or common antenna available. My exclusive common use areas are roof, balcony, or exterior wall.

Q:What types of antennas are covered by the rule? A: (3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. A large yagi may be enforceable for restrictions if located on the roof(chimney)? If I located a large yagi in the back yard, no one would be able to view it.

Thanks for the tips on Ch 22, VHF13, Ch 11, PBS, KBTC, KCTS, FOX as I would like to have them. Would the HD7689 be appropriate? I do have a green belt on the back of home facing the Bellingham direction. The front of house is facing Bellevue / Seattle'ish direction with not much visible obstructions. I am located in somewhat of a bowl with Paine Field hill obstructing. Thanks
Old 22-Sep-2015, 9:15 PM   #6
ADTech

The 1 meter rule applies only to satellite dishes, it does not apply to TV antennas or wireless cable antennas.

If you have a fairly clear field of view in the direction of downtown, your odds would be very good with that antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 22-Sep-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
HDTV-OTA

Hey that works - great news!! Thanks ADTech.
Old 2-Nov-2015, 7:53 AM   #8
HDTV-OTA

HD7698P reception

Need some help with this. I purchased the HD7698P and installed it on a 10’ Ft pole next to the house. Using approximately 40 Ft RG-6 new Coax with no splitters. I have used this antenna using a MOHU leaf pre-amp at the TV and seems to help with reception. I have aimed the antenna at the Queen Anne(Seattle) transmitters. I have rotated slightly many times to fine tune the reception. Do I need to move the antenna? Try another antenna? Combine another antenna? Add a Pre-Amp? Defective antenna? I expected to receive better than this. With a MOHU Leaf antenna placed in my window I was receiving channels 5.1, 5.2, 35-1, 35-2 plus the commented channels. Below are the channel results. Zero comments indicates no reception.

4.1 KOMODT
4.2 KOMODT2
4.3 KOMODT3
5.1 KINGDT
5.2 KINGDT2
7.1 KIROLD5
7.1 K26ICD
7.1 KIRODT
7.2 KIROLD6
7.2 K26ICD2
7.2 KIRODT2
7.3 KIRODT3
9.1 KCTSDT
9.2 KCTSDT2
9.3 KCTSDT3
11.1 KSTWDT
11.2 KSTWDT2
12-1 MeTV – Good
12-2 Movies – Good
12-3 SURSAGR - None
13.1 KCPQLD
13.1 KCPQDT
13.2 KCPQDT2
16.1 KONGDT
16.2 KONGDT2
20.1 KTBWDT
20.2 KTBWDT2
20.3 KTBWDT3
20.4 KTBWDT4
20.5 KTBWDT5
22.1 KZJODT - Pixelation
22.2 KZJODT2 - Pixelation
22.3 KZJODT3 - Intermittent
24-1 KBCB – Intermittent
24-2 JTV - Intermittent
28.1 KBTCLD
28.1 KBTCDT
28.2 KBTCLD2
28.2 KBTCDT2
28.3 KBTCDT3
28.3 KBTCLD3
29-1 KZJO – Intermittent
29-2 Q13Fox – Intermittent
29-3 AntTV - Intermittent
33.1 KWPXDT - Intermittent
33.2 KWPXDT2 - Intermittent
33.3 KWPXDT3 - Good
33.4 KWPXDT4 - Good
33.5 KWPXDT5
33.6 KWPXDT6 HSN - Good
33.7 KWPXDT7 TLMD - Good
42.1 KWDKDT - Good
44.1 KFFVDT
44.2 KFFVDT2
44.3 KFFVDT3
44.4 KFFVDT4
44.5 KFFVDT5
44.6 KFFVDT6
46.3 KUSELD3
46.5 KUSELD5
46.6 KUSELD6
51.1 KUNSDT
51.2 KUNSDT2
Old 2-Nov-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
ADTech

What is the antenna facing, building, forest, etc?

Old 2-Nov-2015, 6:52 PM   #10
HDTV-OTA

There is a single row of evergreen trees approximately 200' ft distance directly in front of it.

Question: Do the 4 pair of fins located in the forward section elements play an important role? I've noticed 3 or the fins are slightly tilted towards the rear of the antenna . The 4th fin is tilted slightly forward towards the front - seems odd.

Thanks
Old 2-Nov-2015, 7:11 PM   #11
ADTech

Quote:
Do the 4 pair of fins located in the forward section elements play an important role?
Yes (they're capacitance hats) but their orientation with respect to vertical or horizontal doesn't matter).

Your results suggest a defect with either the antenna or the coax or that your initial TVFool plot is severely inaccurate.

Old 2-Nov-2015, 11:35 PM   #12
HDTV-OTA

Capacitance hats – didn’t know that; it’s good that orientation doesn’t matter.

I have been repositioning and rescanning and the previously noted channels are mostly stable given clear skies. But, unable to receive any other channels. I tried a different coax with same results as before.

I’m uncertain if this is important but, have another thing in question. On ONE of the forward elements on the main beam, within the reflector area, the phasing line was not captured under the element, it passes on the top side of the element but still touching. It should be passing under the element in the slot. I did make an attempt to push it under but the gap is too tight.

Defective antenna – can these be defective? If so, how? Have you ever seen a 7698 defective?
What are some things to inspect? What channels should I expect to receive?

Thanks