TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Oct-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
aroski

Reception question

Hello,
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=90
Here is my location map. I am newly signed up to this website but have been coming here often for at least 5 years.
My issue is with channel reception, I receive all the channels I want however depending on the time of day or time of year, not all channels come in all the time. The mornings seem to be better than the night.
This maybe be a dumb question but here it goes: Do I need a bigger antenna? Attached is the current antenna I am using. I also have a channel master distribution box feeding 4 TVs.
Thank you,
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna.jpg (1.5 KB, 577 views)
aroski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Jake V

The TV Fool Report link you posted is actually to the initial page used to enter your address. Please prepare a new link and post it. You might follow these instructions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

The antenna you are using is a high gain UHF directional antenna. Can't say whether it is useful or not without the TV Fool Report.

Also include:

1) Where is your antenna located? Living room? Attic? Roof?
2) What direction is it aimed?
3) What is along the line-of-sight from the antenna in the direction of the towers (you can use the lines on the map to determine this)? Trees? Buildings?
4) List the channels you receive well and those that are spotty. Include Real Channel number and call letters.
5) List the channels do you want that you don't get?
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2015, 1:01 PM   #3
aroski

Ok try this one.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03328e0d0f37
1) Where is your antenna located? Living room? Attic? Roof? 25ft on roof
2) What direction is it aimed? between 68 and 69 degrees
3) What is along the line-of-sight from the antenna in the direction of the towers (you can use the lines on the map to determine this)? Trees? Buildings? Trees
4) List the channels you receive well and those that are spotty. Include Real Channel number and call letters.
Well: 30,43,39,29,12,27,50,13
Spotty: 20,31,42
5) List the channels do you want that you don't get?
Wish for: 19,41,18,47,32

Hope this helps
Bob
Old 22-Oct-2015, 1:32 PM   #4
Jake V

Your antenna is aimed between 68 and 69 degrees and the list of "spotty" and "wish for" channels are all in that direction. That's useful.

Is the problem the same on all four televisions? You might list the cable run in feet from the antenna to the televisions. Sometimes I've seen a run from the roof to the basement to a splitter then with two leads back up to the second floor that resulted in loss of stations. Shortened runs oftentimes help.

The first thing I would try is to connect a direct line from the antenna to one television and see if you get all of your desired stations without break-up. If not, then splitting the signal is never going to make things better.

If you don't get all your stations with one television and this were me, I'd take a compass on the roof to check the exact pointing of the antenna. And then move it up and down the pole a few inches, and then left and right a hair at a time. Sometimes you find a sweet spot.

If you do get all of your stations with one television it would be useful to us to know what kind of channel master splitter you are using. Is it passive? Or does it amplify the signal? If you are feeding four televisions is it a four way splitter?

I can't determine the manufacturer and model of your antenna from the photo, but it probably has a gain of about 7-9 dBi. If the above does not work you might consider upgrading your antenna to something like an Antennas Direct DB-8e that has a gain of 17 dBi or the DB-8 that has gain of 15.8 dBi. I'd also add the VHF kit. There are also other manufacturers with similar products, though the published gains are a bit less.

Others will also post.

Last edited by Jake V; 22-Oct-2015 at 1:34 PM.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Nov-2015, 1:47 PM   #5
aroski

Sorry Jake I went on vacation last week and could not respond.

Is the problem the same on all four televisions?
Yes all tvs respond the same.
The first thing I would try is to connect a direct line from the antenna to one television and see if you get all of your desired stations without break-up. If not, then splitting the signal is never going to make things better.
Tried that recently

If you don't get all your stations with one television and this were me, I'd take a compass on the roof to check the exact pointing of the antenna. And then move it up and down the pole a few inches, and then left and right a hair at a time. Sometimes you find a sweet spot.
Did that at the original set up. Spent at least an hour fine tuning.

If you do get all of your stations with one television it would be useful to us to know what kind of channel master splitter you are using. Is it passive? Or does it amplify the signal? If you are feeding four televisions is it a four way splitter?
It is a Channel Master 3414 amplified

I can't determine the manufacturer and model of your antenna from the photo, It is an RCA. Bought it for $20 about 6 years ago.

Thank you again for all your information and help,
Bob
Old 5-Nov-2015, 2:57 AM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You are using a Terk-RCA antenna that has been discontinued. Sorry to say that it's not the best. You have many stations available to you from both Boston and Providence. Both city's signals are strong enough in your location so as not to pose much of an issue, however, please remember that Providence CBS and FOX are on VHF channels, and that the antenna that you are using is not likely to be effective when looking for those channels.

Boston's stations are all on UHF, and could be received with your existing antenna without much of an issue if sufficient height is used, and the antenna is aimed at the Boston transmitters, which lie 70 degrees from your location as measured by a magnetic compass.

My best guess is that you have inadequate multipath rejection from your existing antenna. I don't believe that it's an issue of signal strength, but one of signal QUALITY. A highly directional UHF antenna like an AntennasDirect 91XG in place of your existing antenna is likely to make the problem much less severe.

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 5-Nov-2015 at 3:04 AM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Nov-2015, 1:36 PM   #7
aroski

Tigerbangs,
Thank you for your help and insight. It appears that an upgrade in antenna is in order as the two stations i would most likely watch are 5 and 7. These two are giving the most problem with intermittent reception.

What I find odd however is that having the antenna pointed at 68-70 degrees, I pick up both Prov. 12 and 64 without any issue at all. (strange)

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 5-Nov-2015, 6:46 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
What I find odd however is that having the antenna pointed at 68-70 degrees, I pick up both Prov. 12 and 64 without any issue at all. (strange)
It's actually not very strange at all. UHF Yagis, when a VHF signal hits the boom somewhat broadsided, tend to pick up those VHF signals far better than expected. The boom serves as the resonant element and then re-radiates into the pickup. Also, your VHF signals are moderately strong and VHF signals are impacted far less by trees than are UHF signals.

It's a combination of factors.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote