TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Oct-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Bagyi

Antenna selector help needed....

Great site, just found it.
I am really new to this, but I have electrical skills. Just received my cable bill and it is "Astronomical", so I decided to scale down. I just need the basic channels (preferably in HD), no special, pay, or sports needed -preferably in HD - and I am looking for a suitable antenna. My parameters are here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362523983a004
I have not selected anything yet (antenna, amplifier) and I am looking for some sensible suggesions for a really good and reliable antenna/amplifier. I can mount it on the rooftop. Is the 100-150 mile range advertised by some REAL?
Bagyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
First of all, any antenna that quites 100-150 miles of range is just plain LYING! Now, in the days of digital TV, most TV stations are actually spaced closer to one another than that, and digital reception falls off a cliff, literally, at about 65 to 70 miles from the transmitters, except in very rare conditions, such as where the transmitters are located on top of very tall mountains, such as in Burlington, VT and Boise, Idaho. Unfortunately, NYC does not fall into that category.

Mt. Kisco is only about 35 miles from the ESB, but you are blocked by hills from a direct line of sight to the transmitters, hence, while TV reception is available at your location, you will need a large antenna to insure good TV receptio

Based on your TVFool.com report, I would suggest a deep-fringe VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna like a Winegard HD-7698P or an AntennaCraft HBU-55. Both antennas are very large and powerful, but some may object to their size. The ideal situation would be to install such an antenna on the roof, as high as is practical, and add an antenna rotator like a Channel Master 9521a and a preamplifier like a Winegard Ap-8275 or a Channel Master Titan 7777. The rotator will allow oyu to turn the antenna from NYC towards CT so that you have the alternative of watching other network channels . If only NYC is of interest to you, then you can forgo the rotator, but I would recommend using the preamplifier, especially if you plan to run multiple TV sets from the one antenna. Such an antenna system will provide reliable reception of the major NYC stations.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2010, 1:23 AM   #3
Bagyi

Thanks Tigerbangs, I will follow up your recommendation and report the results. Any place I can purchase the entire setup (antenna, preamp, mast, hardware, cables...)?
Bagyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Oct-2010, 1:55 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Reception

http://www.solidsignal.com is one place. Reading the other posts get you even more places because we post them time after time.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote