TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Oct-2014, 8:53 PM   #1
OTAfreetv

Now using 2 antennas, need some tech advice

I've had a Radio Shack VU-190XR antenna (15-2156) topside for about 15 yrs, RS amp 15-1108 (adj gain) and a rotor. Recently I decided to go with two antennas and moved the 190, sans amp, to a mount 19' off the gnd facing East to pull in the NYC stations I watch. Keeping it simple, no rotor or amp and only facing East at the moment, this direction seems to give me the best signals for the stations I watch although the signal analysis report seems to indicate pointing the antenna more North (?).

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2436a3af744d3

The signals are pretty good so far but with some reception problems on distant freq's. I have noticed the signals will deteriorate when the weather changes from clr skies to cloudy. That can knock out the distant stations like WLIW ch 21. I would think placing the RS amp on it would be helpful in pulling in a stronger signal, especially for WLIW out of Long Island around 55 miles away. Is there any real benefit in replacing this antenna with a newer, better model or even just a UHF model, or, since I usually do receive all the stations I need, should I just put an amp on it?

As to the other antenna. It's mounted on a rotor with the RS 15-1108 amp. It's probably a Rat Shack VHF/UHF model 15-2161, don't have any paperwork on it, don't know when I bought it, it has sat unused in the attic for a over a decade. Since most of the distant TV stations I watch (50+ miles away) are ch's 7-69 and many out of Philadelphia, I figured I really only needed the smaller VHF/UHF ant for them. Much less wind loading, easier on the rotor and while it's 22' off the gnd now, I can bump it up to 25' and still be able to safely get it in place.

If I replace this ant, which models might I look at for better gain and what amps might I choose from that would work best on the freq's I'm trying to receive? Reception is pretty good now, but I do lose distant TV signals due to the ever changing weather. Having one ant pointing to NYC for TV and FM signals and one rotor mounted UHF ant seems to be the best way to go. I just use an A/B switch and can pretty much leave the ant's in place, only occassionally having to move the rotor.

Antenna's I've considered are the Antennacraft HBU44 and 55, carried by Radio Snack. I've also looked at others and have read about some of them on the TVFool forums, just looking for advice based on my individual needs. I like having an adj amp but will consider all amps suggested, thanks!
OTAfreetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Nov-2014, 3:05 PM   #2
OTAfreetv

Still need advice on UHF antenna selection.

I've read a bunch of posts while waiting for a reply to my post and want to add some new info in the hope someone will respond.

My cable run has gone from 35 feet to 60 feet with my new setup. From what I've read about preamps the shorter run probably did not benefit from the preamp, is this correct? How about the 60 foot run? (preamp is attached to the antenna to reduce noise)

I've almost completely lost channel 21 WLIW, and now channel 12 WHYY has dissappeared. During the summer I was able to receive them a portion of the time. I can live without ch 21 but my overall reception on the signals out of Philly has dropped off since I switched from the Radio Shack VU-190XR to the Rat Shack model 15-2161.

I can understand this since the VHF high band should be better on the VU-190XR antenna. While the weather is still reasonable for climbing up on the roof, what antenna might I choose to replace the RS 15-2161 antenna for better reception? (I listed some of my choices in my prior post) I don't want the bulk of the VU-190XR, just something geared to better reception than I now get.

Would my East facing VU-190XR benefit from adding a preamp? Might it help bump up the ch 21 signal enough to allow me to receive it or is noise going to still be a factor? I can remove the RS amp 15-1108 (adj gain) from the UHF antenna it's now on and use it on the VU-190XR.

Most of the signals out of Philly are UHF, channel 12 WHYY being the lowest frequency station I watch. Channel 17 WPHL comes in quite strong, all the other signals are acceptable as is right now. Thanks.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2436a3af744d3
OTAfreetv is offline   Reply With Quote