TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-May-2011, 3:42 AM   #1
Keypad

Antenna help

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17630c555715

I live out in the country, in a wooded area. Cable not an option for me. The house has an external antenna that's 10 yrs old on a mass attached to the roof (guessing 40 ft for the hieght). The antenna is a flat arrow type, small fines leads the point towards the towers. I have a new tv so convert box isn't needed. The problem is weak signal from locate station that are with in 50 miles. I'm think of replacing the antenna with Antennacraft hbu33 or better. Never rely had a problem until after the switch from analog to digital. Would appreciate any help or suggestion, thank you.
Keypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2011, 5:10 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your TV Fool Report includes this: WARNING: Address was only resolved to street level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates.

You can use this tool to locate your site more accurately. 40' feet is not common, do you have a 3 story home? It's best not to use a signal prediction that is overly optimistic.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-May-2011 at 5:14 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2011, 8:08 AM   #3
Keypad

It may be something like 30 ft. I have to use a 20ft ladder to get to the base or mount point of the mass from the deck. The deck is about 3 ft off the ground. The mass is at least 10 since I have to lower it to get to the antenna.
Old 2-May-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Keypad

Btw most maps can't find my address, this gets close with in 1/4 of a mile
Old 2-May-2011, 3:11 PM   #5
mtownsend

In the Interactive Maps tool, you can drag-n-drop the orange pointer until it is in the correct location for your home. Switching the map to "satellite" or "hybrid" view might let you zoom in closer for a more accurate placement.

If you move the pointer or change the antenna height, the signal levels for all of the channels will get updated automatically.

Clicking the "Make Radar Plot" button will turn the existing location/height settings into a TV Fool report that you can post back here.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-May-2011, 3:50 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keypad View Post
I'm think of replacing the antenna with Antennacraft hbu33 or better.
That's the right idea. For simplicity a shorter mast and a preamp might be easier and better.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Keypad

This is my current anntena

It's point in the write direction but I'm have to a lot weak or loss signal. I've tweaked it a couple of times trying to improve it. Used to be fine before the switch in signal so I think it's the antenna.
Old 3-May-2011, 2:21 AM   #8
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

The antenna is a all channel Vhf/UHF/FM antenna. This is a good antenna to have. Check all outside coax connections for corroded contacts and bad matching transformer. I recommend replacing outside coax and All outside connections and matching transformer with All New. The best direction to point the antenna is 311 degree magnetic compass. If the antenna is pointed into the roof at 311 magnetic compass then the antenna height will need to be raised up higher. If the antenna is barley clearing the roof then the antenna will need to be raised up higher. Here is how to point tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by John Candle; 3-May-2011 at 2:11 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2011, 2:29 AM   #9
coco

Before buying a new antenna ,I would first try some new coax . If the antenna is 10 years old then probably the coax is 10 years old too. You have nothing to lose --if the new coax doesn't improve your reception, you'll already have the new coax to go with your new antenna
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2011, 3:25 AM   #10
Keypad

Thank, I'll try that first. It's mounted at the highest point of the roof. One question, would a grounding cable affect the reception? Had an issue with lightening that came through the telephone box (located just under the antenna's position) and took out a pc. The ground is an earth ground, copper wire from antenna to a copper rod in the ground.
Old 3-May-2011, 3:42 AM   #11
John Candle

If the antenna is grounded then that is good. Ground the shielded coax with a coax grounding block. What direction is the antenna pointed?? Is the antenna clearing the actual top of the roof or just the eave of the roof??
Old 3-May-2011, 3:43 AM   #12
John Candle

What direction is the antenna pointed??
Old 3-May-2011, 4:21 AM   #13
Keypad

Its pointed (small end) close to 313 if I remember right. Had to tweak it some last fall but it's still having issues.
Old 3-May-2011, 2:07 PM   #14
John Candle

I recommend mounting the antenna with one of these tv antenna mounts , tripod roof mount , chimney mount , PEAK of the roof eave mount , Here are some places to buy tv antenna mounts and etc. , http://www.3starinc.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com
Old 4-May-2011, 2:30 AM   #15
Keypad

I'm not sure i follow you, John? The antenna is mounted at the peak for the roof line.