TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Mar-2012, 5:21 AM   #1
peteb

Unstable signal

I recently connected a new OTA antenna to a TV. I scanned for stations and picked up 21 digital stations. After a few hours I turned the TV back on and was only receiving about half of them. Sometime later some of them that did not work then did and others did not - very random. As I looked at the signal strength of one that was not working at the time it changed every 2-3 seconds from 12 to 68 to 0 to 12 to 0, to 68, etc, etc. Some time later I may find all the stations working and other times none of them.

Any ideas?
peteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2012, 6:08 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Please help us help you by posting a link to your TV Fool signal prediction report.

Guidelines when asking for help

Also:

What make and model antenna are you using?

Were is the antenna located and what direction is it aimed?

If indoors, please describe the building construction... What type materials are used in the framing, siding, insulation, etc.?

Are there trees or buildings nearby?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 24-Mar-2012 at 6:13 AM. Reason: Additional questions
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2012, 9:12 AM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Do as the other question askers do and do this -> http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4. Is this a , house , condo , townhome , apartment , mobile home , motor home or etc.?? How many tv's are/will be connected?? Enter the exact address to make the tvfool radar report. If address is a no find then , go to the >Start MAPS< part of tvfool and move the pointer to your exact location. Make the antenna height 25 feet. As you can see on the other question askers posts the address does not show in the radar report. The exact address/location is used to make a accurate report.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2012, 2:29 PM   #4
peteb

Additional Information

Here is the suggested additional information.

The signal report is at:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b8665365baec9

The location is a house.
The antenna is an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2 aimed at about 280 degrees.
It is mounted in the attic of the garage.
The garage has a tile roof
There are no buildings or trees between the transmission towers and the garage.
There is only one TV connected through about 70 feet of coax with 2 splice connectors.

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Old 24-Mar-2012, 4:30 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

My first impression is that the signal levels shown in your TV Fool report do not favor attic mounting, especially given the tile roof construction.

Splicing sections of coax can work well, but it is another potential trouble source.

At this point, I won't be overly critical of your choice of the CS2, though a larger antenna would have been my recommendation if you were starting from scratch.

Can you test reception with the antenna outdoors, facing west? For the test, it would be best to use only one continuous piece of coax.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2012, 5:23 PM   #6
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The tvfool radar report says , Warning: address is resolved to street level only. There are 2 transmission tower locations , one location is to west the other to the south. There are too many variables for accurate evaluation of reception. With out a exact location , I can not help.

Last edited by Electron; 24-Mar-2012 at 5:28 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2012, 7:57 PM   #7
peteb

Thanks for the suggestions. I am waiting for an Antennas Direst DB4E antenna to be delivered, then test it again.