TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Nov-2012, 6:16 PM   #1
Bubba902

What are these?

OK I just ran a report to see what was available in my area as far as OTA stations. My question is this. The first 12 are stations with call numbers I've never seen before so I have no idea what they are. Things like K39ED-D etc I've never seen stations like that before but then I'm not very literate in electronics or TV either. Just trying to find out if it would be worth it to actually get an OTA antenna instead of just buying one and hoping for the best. I am NOT technically inclined so if anyone does answer please be as non technical as possible. I am NOT "Smarter than a 5th grader" when it comes to stuff like this. I THINK I have just attached a link that shows the TV stations in my area but I'm not sure. So if anyone can help me and explain what these first 12 stations are I would appreciate it. Thanks. Bubba
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49b901ae9293
Bubba902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2012, 7:36 PM   #2
teleview

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

What directions do windows face??

What directions do , patios / balconies , face??

How many floors??

What is the top floor??

How many Tv's are/will be connected??

The tvfool radar plot report you provided shows no antenna height.

Please make a tvfool radar plot report with the antenna at 25 feet above ground.
Old 25-Nov-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

In areas with mountainous terrain it's common practice to operate low power transmitters called 'translators'. These transmitters serve areas that would be blocked by the terrain. Often, you can see quite a bit of detail about a translator, who operates it and what network it's affiliated with, at www.rabbitears.info

For example, the signal from KDRV (ABC) is carried on the translator licensed as K36HM-D. http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=K36HM#station By using a unique call sign for each transmitter, the FCC is able to identify each licensed transmitter individually. However, if you receive the signal from K36HM-D, you'll see it identify the programing as originating from KDRV and at times, you'll see them mention their translator(s) to satisfy FCC regulations re. station identification.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Nov-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Bubba902

@Teleview--thanks but none of that applies right now as I don't have any kind of antenna. I was just trying to find out if it was worth it to get one here. I live in a mobile home in a mobile park. No antenna, no mast NOTHING at this time.

@Groundurmast-thanks. Thats good information to know. Can either of you tell me CAN I use a OTA antenna using the information I already gave you? Its pretty wooded here with big redwoods everywhere including between me and what I THINK are those "translators" you talk about. I guess I cold go get an antenna then if it doesn't work take it back. Thanks.
Old 26-Nov-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Bubba902

OK guys I went back and re ran the report ASSUMING a 25ft antenna height. Even with that I'm still surrounded by HUGE redwoods and it doesn't look like it changed things all that much. I haven't had time to go to that rabbit ears site you suggested yet. BUT if those sites you pointed out GroundURAntenna do you think I would be able to pick them up in my situation? Would it be worth it to spend the money on a 25ft antenna? I have Dish which works fine but I was just trying to cut some costs here due to the economy. Thanks.
Old 26-Nov-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Bubba902

It MIGHT help if I actually put the new report on here wouldn't it? LOL
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc4916c8136d6d
Old 26-Nov-2012, 9:43 PM   #7
teleview

Install a Winegard HD7698P antenna above the roof aimed at about 320 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

For one Tv connected use no splitter , no preamplifier.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter. No preamplifier.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to mount the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Nov-2012 at 10:18 PM.