TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Dec-2014, 1:55 AM   #1
joyce6

help with choosing a new antenna

Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c159c79f9edb9
We currently have a Clearview 4 antenna that is 10 year old. We did receive these channels: WJAC, WTAE, KDKA, WPGH and the ION,and shopping channels. Strong weather his fall caused it to stop working properly and we now get WJAC and KDKA.
We can mount the antenna higher if we will get better reception, since we live far from these cities stations. I would like to get the major networks and PBS and WTAJ (only 20 plus miles from us.) Any help on selecting an antenna or where to place it to get better reception? Also, would I need a preamplifier if I have a second tv in bedroom and third in basement. we currently have the antenna where the red dot is on the map.
Thanks for any help, Joyce6
joyce6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2014, 8:02 PM   #2
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce6 View Post
Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c159c79f9edb9
We currently have a Clearview 4 antenna that is 10 year old. We did receive these channels: WJAC, WTAE, KDKA, WPGH and the ION,and shopping channels. Strong weather his fall caused it to stop working properly and we now get WJAC and KDKA.
We can mount the antenna higher if we will get better reception, since we live far from these cities stations. I would like to get the major networks and PBS and WTAJ (only 20 plus miles from us.) Any help on selecting an antenna or where to place it to get better reception? Also, would I need a preamplifier if I have a second tv in bedroom and third in basement. we currently have the antenna where the red dot is on the map.
Thanks for any help, Joyce6
Hi Joyce -

Mmm. My first suggestion would be to run the plot again at the highest height you think you can get to. It would be interesting to then double that height and see what changes.

Have you talked to Antennas Direct about your C4? That's a nice antenna ... Maybe it just needs new cables or some internal connection. The C4 has a combiner for the two panels with cables, and mechanical connections are always suspect. You could also buy a new long cable and run it directly from the antenna to the TV. Again splitters and cable connections are suspect when things change suddenly.

Vegetation and other obstructions can cause sudden changes too. If a tree or bush grew up between your antenna and the stations, that would be a problem.

Looks like you were getting quite a few channels from the Johnstown and Pittsburgh markets... you could just repeat what you did and keep getting them. Or you could try a bigger, higher, more sensitive antenna and maybe try for more stations and some Altoona stations too? KDKA and WJAC are both fairly weak according to your plot, and you should by all rights be able to pick up the Altoona stations WTAJ, WKBS and others if you aim there and have an unobstructed view.

There are also a couple of VHF-high stations that you might want, WWCP and WQED (PBS). These would probably require an additional dedicated VHF-high antenna on the same mast. These antennas are not expensive - look at the Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713 http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasVHF.html

Last edited by timgr; 31-Dec-2014 at 8:11 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote