TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Feb-2015, 4:19 PM   #1
RuralIdaho

What Are My Chances of Getting 4-Networks?

To start, here's a link to my TV Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15a43f550aca

My question is, if I were to mount an antenna on my roof, would would be my chances of getting NBC (KHQ-DT), Fox (KFFX) and ABC (KVEW-DT), and what type of antenna would I need?

We moved into our house this summer, and the previous occupants had DirecTV, so as far as I know no-one has installed any type of antenna here before. We have a tall (~40' at its peak) roof, and I'd be willing to put an antenna up there if it meant we cold get at least NBC and Fox. ABC would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker either way.

One geographical note, about 1/2 mile to the north of our house is a mountain/ridge that rises ~1,200-feet above our house, which I'd expect plays into our ability to get signals from that direction.
RuralIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 5:13 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Get a 4 bay UHF antenna. Aim it at 155 degrees.

You'll get:
ABC on K26CK
NBC on K48DH
FOX on K19BY
PBS on K43CI
CBS on channel 32, but misaimed by 41 degrees. If it not reliable reaim the antenna at about 165 degrees or until CBS is 100%.

If you have a long leadin or more than one TV set add a TVPRAMP-1R
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 6:18 PM   #3
RuralIdaho

Thanks!

Thank you!

Would something like this be a good option for a 4-bay UHF antenna: http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Di.../cm-4221hd.htm

Or this kit: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...hdb4x-lite-kit)

Are there better options? Would it be worth the cost to upgrade to an 8-bay antenna?
Old 16-Feb-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I believe the Antennas Direct DB4E is the best choice in terms of performance and build quality. The DBxE series of antennas are designed to maximize performance in the range of real channels 14 through 51. Older designs, including the CM4221 cover real channels 14 through 69.

The FCC gave the spectrum involved with real channels 52 through 69 to other services in 2009.

By concentrating on a narrower frequency range, the AD folks have been able to squeeze a little more forward gain out of the basic panel antenna.

The DB8E would not be overkill... Antenna gain always beat amplifier gain.

(I gladly paid retail for both my DB4E and DB8E.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
RuralIdaho

I finally got around to trying this setup.

I got an DB8E, and mounted it on the roof this weekend, with one side aimed at 155° and the other aimed at 165°.

On my initial scan, I only got CBS on 3.1, and PBS on 12.1. I have about 75" of cable and a couple splits between my TV and the antenna, so I figured a Preamp would help.

Today, I got the preamp installed, but the only additional channel I picked up was Fox, K19BY, on 11.1.

Any suggestions as to what might be letting my pick up K19BY, but not K26CK or K48DH that are coming from the same place?

Edit: I adjusted my aim a bit and was able to add ABC on K26CK, as well as KSPS TV on 7.1, but still no NBC.

Last edited by RuralIdaho; 21-Oct-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 21-Oct-2015, 2:23 AM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You'll need to go in a dig into the diagnostic menu of your TV and see if you can identify the REAL channel or frequency. Virtual channels and network affiliations often do not uniquely identify what the antenna is actually picking up in areas such as yours.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2015, 5:55 AM   #7
newheart722

Since your channel 48 is so weak, you should have both panels of the antenna aimed at 155.
newheart722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Tower Guy

Is the antenna in the clear or is it aimed through trees or at another building?
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-2015, 1:23 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

K48DH is a mere 196 watts and is 56 miles away. The odds of picking it up are negligible, regardless of what the simulation says, especially if there is ANY obstruction in the signal path.

Since K48DH also utilizes a 1.75° beam tilt (depresses the main lobe by that amount from the horizontal plane at the transmitting antenna), you are likely "above" the main lobe's coverage pattern even after considering the effects of the relative elevations and the curvature of the earth. The vertical pattern of the transmitting antenna is NOT included in the TVFool simulation which assumes a uniform vertical pattern, therefore it is very likely over-estimating, by a large amount, K48DH's coverage area in more distant areas.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 21-Oct-2015 at 8:28 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote