TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-May-2010, 4:59 PM   #1
olimazi

Attic Antenna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am planning on getting an UHF antenna (probably a Channelmaster 4228 w/ 7777 pre-amp) and mounting it in my attic (~12 ft. high, vinyl siding).
I've read this antenna can pick up VHF-Hi channels also, as well as channels from the rear, which is a plus.

edit:
Altenately I may go with an all band antenna like the Wineguard 8200U, as I just realized some NYC stations are on VHF.

edit: (updated link)
Here is my tvfool report on my address:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd7207a9e594f4

Most of the channels I want to pick up are "yellow" so i should be OK.
However, a couple are creeping into the red area and I was wondering if I would have trouble getting these:
ex: WNBC 4.1 and WCBS 2.1

Most of these are comming out of NYC about 40 miles from me here in NJ.

One other thing that concerns me is a big pine tree in my front yard in the direction I am planning on aiming the antenna (grrr).

Any antenna recommendations? Tips? I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
John

Last edited by olimazi; 14-May-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Updated link to TVFool report.
olimazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2010, 9:00 AM   #2
kb2fzq

Your TVF report is not accessable. Please repost it.
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
olimazi

Sorry about that mate, I just updated the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2fzq View Post
Your TVF report is not accessable. Please repost it.
Old 14-May-2010, 5:51 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You are missing so much by using what you have proposed! Not only do you have the NYC channels available to you, but you also have the Philadelphia stations easily available.

The Winegard HD-8200U is an excellent antenna, but it's MUCH too big to be placed in most attics: it really belongs on the roof, outdoors where it is is unimpeded by house structure, because the Philly stations lie in a different direction, you should really include a rotator so the antenna can be turned to see those stations, too, and I would also include a high-input preamplifier like a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier, which won't overload on the couple of very strong local stations available to you. many of the Philly stations are stronger in your location than are their NYC counterparts.

if you install this recommended combination, you'll see not only all of the NYC and NJ stations clearly, but all of the Philly stations as well: it makes sense to do it properly, as you have so much over-the-air available to you!

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 14-May-2010 at 7:08 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-May-2010, 1:06 AM   #5
olimazi

Thumbs up Nyc + phi

Hey man that was great advice, yer right about phi, I was lookiing over the maps the other day and I noticed more phi channels came in as "green", the nyc channels were "purple" for UHF and the VHF NYC channels I should be able to pick up OK.
I don't mind picking up some phi channels - it's the nyc news that i need since I work there.
On the rotor, is it manual? Can I control it with remote? Do they make ones I can control w/ my TIVO?
I think I will try an attic install first and see how far that gets me, then pop it on the roof i can't get my channels.
I have some pretty good room in the attic, would a WG 8200U get me far installed in the attic?
I should get the 15 NM ones at least...
Thanks again. I like the pre-amp idea... is the hdp-269 better than the cm 7777's?
peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
You are missing so much by using what you have proposed! Not only do you have the NYC channels available to you, but you also have the Philadelphia stations easily available.

The Winegard HD-8200U is an excellent antenna, but it's MUCH too big to be placed in most attics: it really belongs on the roof, outdoors where it is is unimpeded by house structure, because the Philly stations lie in a different direction, you should really include a rotator so the antenna can be turned to see those stations, too, and I would also include a high-input preamplifier like a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier, which won't overload on the couple of very strong local stations available to you. many of the Philly stations are stronger in your location than are their NYC counterparts.

if you install this recommended combination, you'll see not only all of the NYC and NJ stations clearly, but all of the Philly stations as well: it makes sense to do it properly, as you have so much over-the-air available to you!