TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2013, 3:10 PM   #1
ryanhocking

Tune KTVD-DT from Colorado Springs

Hello there,

Here is my report I have a Winegard HD8200U it is mounted on the top of my house approximately 60 feet off the ground. There are no visible obstructions as I live on a hill. I want to tune in KTVD-DT out of the Denver area. Can anyone tell me if I should get a pre-amp or some other type of hardware to increase my chances of success? If a pre-amp is needed can someone tell me if I should put the pre-amp near the antenna like on the pole or should it go inside the house? Is there a set distance that it should be from the antenna?

Thank you for all your help I am very grateful!
ryanhocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2013, 9:09 PM   #2
elmo

I don't think you can do it. At least not very easily. The signal is very low due to the mountains. I assume you've tried aiming the 8200 dead on towards the tower and checked if you could get a lock? An amp won't pull more signal out of the air; it'll just push it down the coax stronger.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

A preamp does make sense given that you are starting with a long run of cable from the antenna to just the roof deck. It will need to be able to handle strong signals though.

Consider the RCA TVPRAMP1R.

IF the goal is reception of just KTVD, a UHF only antenna would be preferred. That's because the addition of VHF and FM signals received by an all channel antenna like the 8200 will be sources of interference to the weak KTVD signal. Antennas like the 91XG, DB8e and HD9095P come to mind.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Sep-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
ryanhocking

If I got a UHF antenna can I put both on the same pole? Should I consider getting a new mount for the UHF and put on the other side of my roof?
Old 2-Sep-2013, 6:10 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Two antenna can share the same mast. It's usually best to place the UHF antenna at the top and the VHF or multi-band antenna 3' or more below. That implies that a 10' mast would be needed.

Are you already using the 8200 for reception of the local group of signals to the SW... And trying to add just KTVD to your line-up?

Old 2-Sep-2013, 3:36 PM   #6
ryanhocking

I have the 8200u pointed North west toward 325°.

While it is pointed that direction I get all the local stations clearly.
Old 2-Sep-2013, 7:23 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Before you spend money on another antenna, try the TVPRAMP1R. If you don't see KTVD after adding the preamp close to the antenna (3 to 6 feet of cable from the antenna to the preamp), a UHF only antenna is going to have trouble also. I'm not saying you should give up... just setting realistic expectations.

Is the 8200 already at 60' AGL? That's an enviable size tower or mast.

Old 4-Sep-2013, 5:36 PM   #8
ryanhocking

OK I will go look for that Pre-Amp and then let you all know what the results are. Thanks :-)