TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-May-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
scott784

Help with FM antenna/combining it on existing mast with TV antenna

I am interested in checking out the Winegard HD-6000 FM antenna and pairing it with a Channel Master CM7777 Preamp to receive maximum FM reception in my area.

I currently use OTA for television only; and I've got a Winegard 9095P with a Winegard 269 preamp for TV. This antenna and preamp sits on top of a 30 ft mast on the side of my house (eve mount). The existing TV antenna clears the roof line by about 5 feet.

So if I invest in the FM antenna (and replace my existing preamp) with the the CM7777 (which has dual connecters for UHF and VHF/FM), will I likely get any interference? My biggest concern is maintaining what I've got on OTA television. I am concerned that maybe I don't have enough footage below the Winegard 9095P to install this FM antenna below my existing Winegard 9095P (with only 5 feet above the roof line). I should add that my Winegard 9095P is on a rotator so if I add a Winegard HD-6000 for FM radio; I've got to stay above the roof line.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any feedback.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-May-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott784 View Post
Any suggestions? I appreciate any feedback.
The signal strengths of the FM stations are likely to overload the 7777 preamp unless you live in a remote area.

Please post your TV fool and FM fool reports.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-May-2011, 8:26 PM   #3
scott784

I appreciate the reply. I had thought about overload; however, I keep my TV antenna (almost always) pointed toward the SW for the longer range stations (Charlotte). I only point it to the SE in the unusual cases where I can't pick up my true locals on the side (Greensboro/Winston-Salem). So I figured the CM7777 preamp would be fine; and perhaps even improve things on a couple of my longer range stations when they are prone to pixileate.

My main concern was interference if I mounted an FM antenna right below my TV antenna (Winegard 9095P). I thought that could potentially cause interference with a single coax out of the preamp down into my house.

I don't want to do anything that would potentially mess up the TV setup since that is what is most important to me. Thanks for any additional feedback.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5747d6ae64c870
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (111.6 KB, 634 views)

Last edited by scott784; 29-May-2011 at 8:31 PM.
Old 29-May-2011, 8:49 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
So I figured the CM7777 preamp would be fine; and perhaps even improve things on a couple of my longer range stations when they are prone to pixileate.
I'd use a UVSJ to add the FM antenna to the TV antenna. The preamps I'd recommend are the HDP-269 or AP 4700. The AP4700 amplifies UHF only. A second UVSJ can be used to feed your FM receiver. It will have less loss than a standard splitter.
Old 29-May-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
scott784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd use a UVSJ to add the FM antenna to the TV antenna. The preamps I'd recommend are the HDP-269 or AP 4700. The AP4700 amplifies UHF only. A second UVSJ can be used to feed your FM receiver. It will have less loss than a standard splitter.
Any guess on the approximate loss I would have with splitting in this manner? If it is much, I wouldn't want to combine the antennas going down one coax line into the house. The TV antenna and reception is most important to me; and I don't want to lose any fringe TV stations with that, just to get extra FM Radio stations. Thanks.
Old 30-May-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Any guess on the approximate loss I would have with splitting in this manner? If it is much, I wouldn't want to combine the antennas going down one coax line into the house. The TV antenna and reception is most important to me; and I don't want to lose any fringe TV stations with that, just to get extra FM Radio stations. Thanks.
Loss of 2 UVSJ, about 1 db.

Performance with HDP-269 preamp, about 10 db better than no preamp.
Old 31-May-2011, 5:13 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Is there a reason that you need to mix TV and FM in the same coax? It is feasible but often the best results are separate TV and FM systems. The additional coax run can be inconvenient but it's a one time inconvenience.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-May-2011 at 5:15 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2011, 8:16 AM   #8
John Candle

TV Antennas and Reception

The best way is to run separate coax for FM that way there is no distribution and antenna cross talk problems. However if you will like to experiment here is a FM/TV separator combiner. At http://www.solidsignal.com , the Winegard CA-8800
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2011, 3:29 PM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
It is feasible but often the best results are separate TV and FM systems. The additional coax run can be inconvenient but it's a one time inconvenience.
I agree. I never found amplfication necessary or helpful in my FM DX'ing days. I could pretty much get everything within 70 to 80 miles with a small FM only antenna just a few feet off the roof.

IMO theres nothing like a good FM only antenna run straight to the receiver for the most noise free analog sound.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2011, 7:12 PM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

In my own system at my home, I have an unamplified FM-3 merged with a 91XG/PA18 combo with one of our U/V diplexers. That signal is sent to the basement (80' with two TV/Sat diplexers in line) where it is distributed using one of our CDA4 distribution amps to all the sets in my house (25-70' per run) including several runs with an addition 2- or 3-way splitter. My signal mix coming from the antennas includes mostly very weak UHF (with one very strong one) and a mixture of weak and very strong FM signals.

I've used direct connections of the combined coax signal at each termination (TV tuner or FM receiver) without using any type of FM separator/filter and there have been no ill effects on any of the service drops from having the FM and UHF on the same cable.

For my setup, there have been no deleterious effects from running the FM and UHF TV signals over the same cabling. YMMV. If I had VHF in the mix, I'd need to exercise additional cautions.

If you are in a situation where you want to only amplify UHF and not VHF but must get operating power through the UVSJ, you must select one that is DC POWER PASS on the UHF port. To date, I have identified the Radio Shack 15-2586 and our own EU385CF as meeting this criteria. The popular Holland and Tru-Spec (Pico-Macom) diplexers pass power on the VHF port, but not the UHF port.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote