TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jun-2011, 2:46 PM   #21
Markm

Tv Antennas and Reception

John,

I just checked my tv and like normal back to the one IND channel. I assume the preamp will help keep the signal through the daytime hours.

Thanks,
Mark
Markm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2011, 7:44 PM   #22
Dave Loudin

A suggestion:

You seem to have the best luck with VHF stations. Check out the real channels of the stations you get most frequently and you'll see what I mean. The VHF section of your antenna will be hard to improve upon, so I recommend you consider buying the golden standard for long-range UHF reception, the Antennas Direct XG-91. You can combine the two using a special combiner known as a UVSJ (search your favorite on-line store), connecting the XG-91 into the UHF port and your antenna in the VHF port. Run the combined signal into the pre-amp and then off you go.

As far as mounting everything goes, if the two antennas would be too much for the rotor, mount your original antenna fixed towards Chicago and use the rotor to aim the XG-91.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2011, 8:38 PM   #23
John Candle

While on the roof checking the antenna also check the connections of the matching transformer and the internal wiring of the matching transformer can be bad from exposure to the weather for years.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-2011, 11:40 PM   #24
Markm

Dave

Thanks for your suggestion, I should be able to get that on my mast. I will wait till I get the preamp and new matching transformer and new RG-6 coax installed and see what happens.

John,

I was on the roof everything looked fine, not sure what its called but one of the sections on the end that you aim had fell down, runs at a 45 degree upward angle. I looked at the matching transformer it was ok, I just put a new one on last fall. I also looked at line of sight a block away or so are a few taller trees don't know it that is a problem.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 26-Jun-2011, 2:15 AM   #25
John Candle

Snap the UHF reflector back in to place at the 45 degree angle.
Old 26-Jun-2011, 2:26 AM   #26
Markm

John,

I did that when I was up there. I was receiving a NBC station WEEK vc 25 out of Bloomington or Peoria earlier and also added WGN and maybe one or two others.
But they all come and go as weather changes.

Last edited by Markm; 26-Jun-2011 at 2:29 AM.
Old 27-Jun-2011, 1:07 AM   #27
Markm

John,

I was looking at the Menards website they carry RCA premade RG-6 coax and Home Depot carries GE brand. Are those good enough or should I look somewhere else? Or should I buy a roll of coax to make the exact length I need?

Thanks for everything so far, you have been a great help!

Mark
Old 27-Jun-2011, 5:33 AM   #28
John Candle

If you can put the connectors on the coax then do it your self. Pre made is Ok. With the pre made , look in the ends of the connectors on the coax and see if the outer foil shield and shield wires are pushed in to ward the center conductor , if so , push the foil shield and shield wires away from the center conductor. I have seen coax that is so losely made that the center foam and center conductor wire move and slide inside of the outer jacket , do not use this poorly made coax. Use a coax that is tightly made. Also if using the pre made try and get the coax that has compression type connectors on the ends , they seal better on the coax then the crimp type connectors.
Old 28-Jun-2011, 1:25 AM   #29
Markm

John

I found some premade RG-6 quad shield cables with compression ends at Menards today. I have them, just waiting on the pre-amp shipped today, the matching transformer and 4' cable are still in the processing mode.
Old 29-Jun-2011, 9:21 PM   #30
Markm

John,

The winegard HDP269 preamp arrived today, the matching transformer is still out there with UPS maybe tomorrow or Friday. I know earlier you said not to reuse the existing transformer. Would it be alright to use it until the new one arrives?

I will mount preamp tonight and new RG-6 cable but not hook up the preamp just yet.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 29-Jun-2011, 10:00 PM   #31
John Candle

Yes go ahead and install what you have now. Yes it is Ok to reuse the matching transformer that is connected to the antenna now. And then install the new transformer and and jumper coax when you get it.
Old 29-Jun-2011, 11:08 PM   #32
Markm

Installed!

I don't have a complete list of channels but I hope the new matching transformer and another new cable will help when they arrive.

But at least I have a few channels at this time of day, hopefully they will be 24/7. I know CBS,NBC,FOX, WTTO, MyNetwork were somewhat good ABC & WGN were pixelly to good.

I think I have the antenna at the stongest point. I have the preamp right under the antenna, it could actually be moved up into VHF area as it spreads apart and attaches at 3 points on the mast pole.

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Mark
Old 30-Jun-2011, 8:59 AM   #33
John Candle

From here on out. Please identify what is being received by the Call Sign and the Real Channel Number. Your location has more the one NBC , FOX and so forth , I do not know what ones you are receiving. Read and understand this about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 . Here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
Old 30-Jun-2011, 10:41 AM   #34
Markm

John,
Sorry about that! I just typed up a list of channels, got logged out some how while typing it. Will try again,

Mark

Just typed up another one gone again.

Last edited by Markm; 30-Jun-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 30-Jun-2011, 11:02 AM   #35
Markm

TV Antennas and Reception

John,

Sorry again,

Here is the list 3rd times a charm, WWTO vc 35 IND, WPWR vc 50 MyNetwork, WFLD vc 32 FOX, WLS vc 7 ABC, WMBD vc 31 CBS, WGN vc 9 The CW, WEEK vc 25 NBC, WSNS vc 44 TEL, WCIU vc 26 IND, WCPX vc 38 ION, WFXT vc 60 TEL, WMAQ vc 5 NBC, WGBO vc 66 Uni, WTTW vc 11 PBS. Most of these channels come and go at times.

The antenna is pointed roughly at 75 degrees toward Chicago, IL. There are 2 channels in the list WEEK vc 25 NBC and WMBD vc 31 CBS that are from Peoria, Il which is at 200 degrees.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 2-Jul-2011, 10:39 PM   #36
Markm

John,

The matching transformer and 4' cable finally got here, installed today. I don't know if it helped much, we will see. Well I went from 1 channel with 4 sub channels to somewhere between 25- 40 channels total at times.

Newbies out there you can trust what John Candle suggests for your situation he is very knowledgeable.

Thanks again John greatly appreciated!

Mark

P.S.
If I were to get a new antenna in the future what do you suggest?
Old 3-Jul-2011, 8:33 AM   #37
John Candle

Thanks for the positive comments. It is true that I am here to help get the best reception and the best selection of Tv stations and channels. I do not just dump a answer on people. Any way your reception location has Tv stations all around the compass and the spacing between the Tv stations and the channels in the different directions all around the compass and the Very Low Signal Strength and on top of all that the co-channel and adjacent channel warnings of most of the channels is not a friendly situation. When the signal strength gets down to the low single digit NM(dB) numbers or less. It's known as the Digital Cliff , and it does not take much to go over the cliff , rain , snow flakes , high humidity , and even sun shine can block and blast the very weak signals over the cliff.

Last edited by John Candle; 4-Jul-2011 at 9:08 AM.
Old 3-Jul-2011, 8:42 AM   #38
John Candle

There is no one antenna that will be that much better at receiving then the one you have. You will need to go to a 2 antenna solution. I am thinking about it. While I am moving toward a solution , read and understand this about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Old 4-Jul-2011, 8:33 AM   #39
John Candle

Ok I have given your reception situation more thought then a sane person would and this is what I suggest. 2 antennas , a AntennaCraft CS600 with the HDP269 preamp aimed at about 316 degree magnetic compass mounted in a fixed position not on the rotor , for the reception of real VHF channels 4 , 13 , 10. For the real UHF channels I recommend a AntennasDirect 91XG UHF antenna with a http://www.kitztech.com -- 'KT-200-coax' powered amplifier mounted on the rotor. Separate coax cables will go from each antenna and amplifier to a 'UVSJ' = UHF/VHF Separator Joiner that is located in the house close to the Tv. The 91XG antenna and KT-200-COAX amplifier will be connected to the UHF input of the UVSJ. The CS600 VHF antenna and HDP269 preamp will be connected to the VHF input of the UVSJ. The output of the UVSJ will be connected to the Tv. This set up will deliver steady strong signals to the Tv.
Old 4-Jul-2011, 8:46 AM   #40
John Candle

UVSJ. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=UVSJ . The amplifiers and amplifiers power supplies are connected on the UHF/VHF ports sides of the UVSJ. Do not put any power supplies on the port on the UVSJ labeled - LINE. The actual antenna signal amplifiers are mounted close the antennas. The power supplies for the antenna amplifiers will be close the UVSJ because the UVSJ will be close the Tv because thats where the electric power is at.

Last edited by John Candle; 4-Jul-2011 at 9:54 PM.