Old 7-Nov-2013, 4:00 PM   #1
Geek

Alternate way to get your TVFool Report

Open the TVFool Signal Locator here:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Click on the radio button marked "Coordinates"

In another window, open:

https://maps.google.com/

Switch to Satellite View if it isn't already. Now, use the search bar to enter your address. Drag and zoom so that you can see your home. Right click on the exact location you want to mount the antenna. On the resulting menu, click "Directions from Here". On the left with be An A) and B) with a series of numbers next to A).

The first set is the exact Latitude of the antenna location. The second set is the exact Longitude. Either cut and paste, or copy these two numbers into the proper fields on the TVFool form. In North America, be sure that your Longitude is Negative.

I was amazed using this method just how much a difference I got in my report just from one end of the house to the other. There was also a significant difference between mounting a J-pole to the side of the house and mounting a 10' mast from the peak. Be sure to estimate your altitude as accurately as possible.

Enjoy.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2013, 9:09 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Instead, use the interactive TV maps. All that is built into the tool and you can drag and drop the virtual antenna right onto your virtual rooftop. No need to use the google maps workaround.

Minute changes in the height or location aren't statistically relevant since the terrain database is averaged into 100 meter (or was it feet?) squares before the LRI calculations are performed on the signal path. Changing the coordinates in the magnitude of a few feet one way or the other isn't accurate.

IOW, the resolution of the terrain database used for the calculations doesn't support such smaller increments in the change of the antenna position.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Nov-2013 at 10:51 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2013, 4:43 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Thanks for your contribution to forum Geek,

To add to ADTech's comments, here is a step by step solution that works without leaving the TV Fool site:

When generating a TV Fool report, my preferred method is to open the Interactive TV Maps tool. Leave the 'input method' set to the default, 'address'. Then, enter only the ZIP Code, and then click the 'Map This' button.

At this point you should have a map displayed, with a movable cursor located at the center of the ZIP Code that was entered. Use your mouse to drag the cursor to the exact location you're interested in. In the upper right corner of the map you can select from four view types, I find it helpful to have all four available... The Hybrid and Terrain modes seem to be what I use the most.

At the bottom of the map, enter the antenna height (for a roof top installation use 25' if you don't have a more accurate measurement). You can also find the LAT/LON coordinates of the cursor (in decimal form, not deg/min/sec).

Once the cursor location and the antenna height are set correctly, click on the 'Make Radar Plot' button located at the upper right corner of the map. The TV Fool report opens in a new tab or window. You can then copy the URL from the address bar of your browser, for posting to a thread.
Again, welcome to the forum.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote