Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Mar-2014, 5:46 PM   #1
bwag32

Need help in MID TN

here is my link :
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94937b486886

I have the channel master CM-5016 and am only getting 2.1,4.1,5.1,8.1 and 30.1

I have my antenna pointed at around 17 NNE.

I will be hooking up a RCA TVPRAMP1R this afternoon. Any suggestions on what I can do to get more channels.

I also have a HDB8X at my disposal to use if anyone thinks that would be better than my CM-5016

Thank you for any help
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (123.2 KB, 479 views)

Last edited by bwag32; 19-Mar-2014 at 5:49 PM.
bwag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2014, 7:27 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
-----
The CM5016 antenna is designed for local strong signal strength reception.

Your reception location is Weak to Weaker signal strengths in the Yellow and Red reception zones.

Yes install the preamplifier , the preamp will be operated in the Combined antenna mode because only one antenna is connected.

The FM trap of the preamp will be in the , in/on position.

Aim the antenna at about 21 degree magnetic compass direction.

--------

Remove the CM5016 antenna.

--------

And Yes also test reception the HDB8X aimed at about 21 degree magnetic compass direction with the preamp connect to the HDB8X and the preamp.

--------

Here is how to aim antenna , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

--------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building in the direction of reception , North East.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the direction of reception including your own roof and building in the direction of reception , North East.

------------------------------

The Tvfool channel list under the word Real , shows the Real channels that are Transmitted and Received.

Under the (virt) is the virtual numbers , virtual numbers are not a real channel , even if the virtual number is the same as the real channel.

------------------------------

Your reception location has receivable channels in all 3 Tv bands.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

-------------------------------

The CM5016 antenna is a All Tv band antenna but is to small for the weak channels reception situation.

The preamp will help and might make the Weak channels reliable.

-------------------------------

The HDB8X is a UHF channels design antenna.

WTVF , CBS , is transmitting on , VHF low band channel 5 , and is transmitting on UHF channel 25.

So the HDB8X antenna will receive WTVF Ok.

That leaves , WNPT-DT , VHF high band channel 8 , PBS.

The HDB8X might do Ok at receiving channel 8 , with the preramp installed.

The HDB8X antenna will do good at receiving those Weak signal strength UHF Tv Stations/Channels in the Red reception zone.

-----

If channel 8 is not received reliably with the HDB8X antenna.

Then install a , www.antennacraft.net , Y10-7-13 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna.

The RCA preamp will be operated in the Separate antenna mode.

The HDB8X is connected to the UHF connection of the preamp.

The Y10-7-13 is connected to the VHF connection of the preamp.

--------------------------------

Digital Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReSacanAlert.pdf

---------------------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.amazon.com

www.antennacraft.net

Last edited by teleview; 19-Mar-2014 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 19-Mar-2014, 9:55 PM   #3
bwag32

ok so i tired both and the CM5016 gets 26 channels and the hdb8x only got 7 stations. The one station I really want is 15. it shares the same tower is 23. i get 23 but not 15. should i go to the cm5018 or do you think it would have the same results
Old 19-Mar-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-----
WZTV-DT , Real UHF channel 15 FOX , should be received , no problem.

Did you do the Double Rescan??

Some times a antenna can be in a dead spot for reception of a Tv station channel and moving the antenna up or down can move the antenna out of a dead spot.

And their is the situation that , WZTV , might be off the air because of some type of trouble.

A call to the Tv stations Engineering department will find out if any problems.

-------

If I were to install a antenna at your location the antenna would be a , www.antennacraft.net , HD1200 All channel antenna.

The advantage of a All Channel Antenna is , if one of the WTVF transmitters , 5 or 25 , is down , then WTVF will still be received.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Mar-2014 at 9:54 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 19-Mar-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Presuming a rescan fails to resolve the problem;

With WTVF operating on real CH-25 I don't see the point of an all channel antenna. I'd step up to a Winegard HD7698P which would pair up with the existing preamp. I'd avoid the all channel antenna, in part to minimize any FM radio reception (and it's resultant interference).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTVF

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Mar-2014 at 11:52 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2014, 1:26 AM   #6
bwag32

i will try to move the antenna down. its at the top of the mast so cant go up.

Groundurmast- might be a dumb question but the HD7698P looks to have the same specs as far as milage as the CM5016 and doing both uhf/vhf . am i missing something?
Old 20-Mar-2014, 2:14 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag32 View Post
i will try to move the antenna down. its at the top of the mast so cant go up.

Groundurmast- might be a dumb question but the HD7698P looks to have the same specs as far as milage as the CM5016 and doing both uhf/vhf . am i missing something?
Not a dumb question at all.

If you look at the mileage estimate claimed by each manufacture, you would assume the two antennas are very similar. This illustrates why it's important to dig deeper, presuming the mileage claim comes from the advertising department and lacks any standard basis.

When you look at the gain figures from the engineering department, you see the stark difference. The HD7698P has about 8 dB more gain across the UHF band and about 6 dB more gain across the H-VHF (CH-7 - CH-13) band. The 7698 has no intentional L-VHF (CH-2 - CH-6) or FM capability. The HD7698P may be a little more than you need, but it's certainly not overkill. (Antennacraft's competing product is the HBU-55.)

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...Data_Sheet.pdf
http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewit...7698P%29&post=

Forget the mileage claims, use standards based gain figures.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Mar-2014 at 2:17 AM.
Old 20-Mar-2014, 2:26 AM   #8
bwag32

of the hbu55 and the HD7698P is one a better antenna?
Old 20-Mar-2014, 2:30 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

The Winegard gets a slight nod for build quality and durability,,, The price on the Antennacraft product still makes it a good deal, even if it might not last quite as long. (Though as I just checked, I see the Winegard is now the better price.) They're both competing well against each other.

So, I'd go with the Winegard.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Mar-2014 at 2:34 AM. Reason: Just rechecked price
Old 20-Mar-2014, 2:42 AM   #10
bwag32

thank you sir just ordered it
Old 6-Apr-2014, 6:10 PM   #11
bwag32

Added a splitter now no signal

I am using a winegard HD7698p and a rca TVPRAMP1R. I had picture and I added a splitter and now I dont. I have the antenna ran into the preamp from the preamp into the splitter and then splitter into the amp then to the tv. Any clue on why I wouldnt have signal now? I am using a splitter that operates from 5-mhz to 1000 mhz.
Old 6-Apr-2014, 6:54 PM   #12
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You installed a power-blocking splitter between the amplifier and it's power supply. This cut off operating power to the amplifier and turned it into a brick.

A common enough mistake.

If you must install the splitter somewhere in the cable run between the inserter and the amplifier, you must used a DC pass-thru splitter.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 6-Apr-2014 at 7:05 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Apr-2014, 7:01 PM   #13
bwag32

so what would I look for the splitter to say to make sure its not a power blocking. I cant move the power supply
Old 6-Apr-2014, 7:22 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

Here are power passing splitters that would be appropriate in your application.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/splitters.html

Old 6-Apr-2014, 7:28 PM   #15
teleview

+=>

Install a splitter that says power passing , on/through , one output and the input.

or

Install All parts of the preamplifier Before the input of the splitter , The power supply/power injector , before the input of the splitter so the preamp unit can receive power.

---------------------------------

And here are splitters that pass power through the splitter and also prevent power from going back through the splitter out to the Tv locations.

Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , buy the HFS splitters at , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by teleview; 9-Apr-2014 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 6-Apr-2014, 8:05 PM   #16
Stereocraig

Quote:
so what would I look for the splitter to say to make sure its not a power blocking. I cant move the power supply
You don't need to physically move the PSU.
You only need to make sure that there is nothing between the power inserter and the preamp.

Probably a wash between buying a power passing splitter and a different length of coax.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Apr-2014, 8:25 PM   #17
bwag32

would this one work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-2-4...-333/202276265
Old 6-Apr-2014, 10:19 PM   #18
bwag32

ok completely lost all signal. I have just the antenna and preamp hooked up. I ran a brand new cable as the other one was ran using connectors to join shorter cables. TV worked fine last night... any ideas?
Old 7-Apr-2014, 3:40 AM   #19
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Maybe, but only if the other tuners present an open circuit at DC, not something I would count on. It's best to use a splitter that has power passing on only one port.

Old 7-Apr-2014, 10:23 AM   #20
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

That particular Ideal splitter will work fine. There is an internal diode in each output leg of the splitter to prevent back-feeding unwanted circuits. This allows ANY of the splitter outputs to accept power and route it to the common port and on to the pre-amp.

Quote:
any ideas?
My guess is that the particular splitter you used may have shorted out the power supply and it has now failed internally. However, since you also replaced the coaxial cable, it is suspect until proven otherwise. Therefore, remove the amplifier and the power inserter and test for any reception using only the cable and the antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote