TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jan-2012, 9:17 PM   #1
birdwaves

Slowly making progress - New Antenna?

Hi All,
I am still trying to get enough channels with good reception so I can kill DirecTv. I need CBS to come in reliably, and would really like to get the CW network which doesn't come in at all, but the maps make it look like it 'may' be possible.
I've got a 10' antenna from Radio Shack, an Eagle Aspen rotator, and Channel Master amp. RG-6 cable is used.
Would a better/different antenna help me?
Here's my map:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...40337e200d6c46

Thanks for your help!
birdwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2012, 9:46 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The path profile for WCWN shows some challenging terrain between you and the Schenectady/Albany area.

Per rabbitears.info, WCWN carries CBS on one of their sub-channels.

The best hope of seeing WCNW would require a tower and an Antennas Direct XG91... possibly a ganged pair. But even at that, you're up against very challenging conditions. If you have access to one of the local hilltops, your chance of success may improve a bit.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
birdwaves

Hi GroundUrMast,
I forgot to specify which CBS I'm trying to get. I need to pull in WFSB - Hartford in order to get my beloved Patriots games. :-)
Also, my current antenna is mounted on a mast on top of the roof of my three story house. So it's pretty far up, 40+ feet or so. And you are correct, it's very hilly terrain around here. The reception I get for WFSB is borderline. I can pull it in if the conditions are right. I just wonder if a different style antenna would help.
Thanks again for your help and quick response!
Old 1-Jan-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Alright, looking at the path profile for WFSB, it looks like you're facing a similar challenge, but 'on paper' you have even less signal to work with compared to WCWN.

The same recipe would apply, you need more height and the maximum available gain and directivity.

If you're able to consider the option of a tower install, you can run another report based on the higher elevation.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2012, 3:39 AM   #5
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Make tvfool radar reports with the antenna heights at 50 and 75 feet.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jan-2012, 5:47 PM   #6
birdwaves

Hi Electron,
Here's my 50' report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...403374d246ee31

Here's my 75' report:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4033c17fbb2777

Thanks!
Old 4-Jan-2012, 6:08 AM   #7
Electron

Ok I can recommend Antennas and amplifiers and tower and etc. that will get you the sports games you will like to have and the CW plus all of the network channels. . The tower will be a minimum of 75 feet high. You or some that will work for no money will need to do it your selfs and you will need to find and buy a used tower. The total cost of antennas and etc. and tower could be about $1000.00 <> $1500.00 > or so. You must be flexable on the cost , I am not talking about 1 dollar 2 dollar 3 dollar flexable. This about 100 dollar 200 dollar 300 dollar and etc. .
Old 4-Jan-2012, 6:12 AM   #8
Electron

Or you can research the internet streaming services like HULU+ and other internet streaming services. For the sports games you will like to have.
Old 4-Jan-2012, 6:17 AM   #9
Electron

A antenna system can be set up that will get you the Networks and the CW and then some for a lot less money. However with your reception situation , the more picky and choosey you will like to become , the more the cost will go up.
Old 4-Jan-2012, 1:25 PM   #10
birdwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
A antenna system can be set up that will get you the Networks and the CW and then some for a lot less money. However with your reception situation , the more picky and choosey you will like to become , the more the cost will go up.
In the short term, a 75' foot would unfortunately not be feasible. I can swing the labor (and the beer :-)), but I can't swing the $$$.
I noticed the other styles of antennas on this site, and just wondered if my 10' Radio Shack antenna wasn't cutting it. I could swing $100 for a different antenna if it someone had a reason that it would be better.
Interestingly, last night I was able to pull in the CW from a station way down in Connecticut. We were able to watch a whole show, but it drops out periodically. It's weird how signal strength seems to come and go with the digital signals. That channel and the CBS channel come from the same direction, and are tantalizingly close to be usable. If I can get them, then I've got all the major networks.
Old 4-Jan-2012, 4:39 PM   #11
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdwaves View Post
... It's weird how signal strength seems to come and go with the digital signals. ...
It is neither weird nor does it have anything to do with digital signals. Signals are only digital after they are decoded. Broadcast signals are subject to atmospheric conditions. It has been ever thus. However, you cannot relay on atmospheric anomalies to receive your television programming.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote