TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Dec-2012, 3:40 PM   #1
mateo1978

help with new install

I just moved to a new place in south Denver (near DU). I get reasonably good reception till the snow happens. I'm currently using rabbit ears with a built in amp. What do you suggest for a more permanent antenna? I have a huge attic, no foil insulation, composite shingles. I hope I am close enough to go the internal route. 15 miles or so from the towers. What type of antenna do you guys suggest?

Thanks
Matt

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc49a21c8dafb9
mateo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2012, 3:55 PM   #2
teleview

Attics Are Not a reception friendly environment and Never Will be a reception friendly environment.

That said , the Digital Tv transmissions are strong at your location.

Yes start with a Winegard HD7000R antenna in the attic aimed at about 305 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

If there are reception issues that are not resolvable buy adjusting the aim or location of the antenna in the attic then move the HD7000R antenna to above the roof.

Install the HD7000R antenna above the roof in such a manner that the roof is not blocking reception in the directions of reception.

At your location that is , west , north west , north , east , south.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html if using a eave mount use the #4560 , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box.

A preamplifier is not required.

For 1 Tv connected use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a common simple 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a common simple 3 way splitter.

No requirement to use , gold plated digital super whiz bang splitter that cost $50.00.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own house.

It is best to install the HD7000R antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels , some times named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Dec-2012 at 8:21 PM.
Old 12-Dec-2012, 8:02 PM   #3
mateo1978

Looking at the map, nbc, cbs, fox, pbs, and cw are all about 275 -276 degrees magnetic. Is there a reason I would not get a directional and just aim at lookout mountain? All the other channels are the other cities versions of the same channels.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mateo1978; 12-Dec-2012 at 9:07 PM.
Old 12-Dec-2012, 8:38 PM   #4
teleview

The Tv stations signal strengths are strong at your location a larger antenna is not required.

The larger the antenna the more directional the antenna becomes , the Tv transmitters are in different directions so a larger antenna will not receive as good as a smaller antenna , different directions.

KPXC-DT REAL UHF channel 43 , virtual number (59.1-2-3) ION - qubo - ION Life , is at 358 degree magnetic compass direction.

Last edited by teleview; 19-Dec-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 13-Dec-2012, 7:57 AM   #5
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo1978 View Post
All the other channels are the other cities versions of the same channels.
While mostly true, I have found that PBS channels have varied programming.
Same w/ sports and local news.
Not to mention any sub channels that may be lurking under the main channel.

Go to titantv.com and play around w/ zip codes to see what's available to you.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2012, 6:42 PM   #6
mateo1978

Regarding wiring, can I use some old coaxial I have from the cable service? Should I use something new, and or smaller, better, different?
Old 17-Dec-2012, 6:45 PM   #7
mateo1978

PS I only have to make one run, probably 25 feet. This will connect to my media center pc, no TVs. Am I right that the closer I get the tuner to the antenna the better off I will be? I could possibly put the tuner in the attic with the antenna.
Old 17-Dec-2012, 7:21 PM   #8
elmo

Existing coax is fine - just ensure it's RG-6 and that it's not active with cable/internet services. If it's daisy chained, be sure put termination caps on any unused connections. If it's a direct run or a homerun, then you won't need to cap.

Personally I'd keep the tuner out of the attic, at least for now. See how it works first. Don't try to work around issues that don't actually exist! Your goal is to keep it as simple as possible. The great thing about an antenna setup is that you can easily add to it as necessary. Given it's a single connection and only about 25 ft, you shouldn't have a problem given the signals around you. But, it is an attic, so that will account for some loss.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2012, 8:02 PM   #9
teleview

Yes Ok to use the coax that is in or on the house , however , there must be no active pay cable delivered services , no cable tv , no cable internet , no cable phone service , on the coax that is used for the antenna.

For a test of reception of Digital Broadcast Tv reception.

No active pay satellite service on the coax that is being used for the antenna.

Daisy chained , means a splitter connected to another splitter connected to another splitter connected to another splitter , etc..

This type and kind of signal distribution makes for a very weak signal at the end of the daisy chain.

Putting terminators on any unused connections of the splitters of the daisy chain Will Not Help the Signal Strength.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Dec-2012 at 6:02 PM.
Old 18-Dec-2012, 5:46 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
No active pay satellite service on the coax that is being used for the antenna.
With the correct diplexer, satellite and OTA can share a common coax.

But I agree, mixing cable service and an OTA antenna system should not be done.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2012, 6:31 PM   #11
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
With the correct diplexer, satellite and OTA can share a common coax.
Some can, some cannot.

In the "cannot" column would be just about anything HD from Directv after the H/HR-20 due to overlapping frequencies. Those are the systems that use the BBC, whether internal or external. SWM installs also cannot use diplexers. Older D* systems that used the Slimline 3 and older dishes worked fine with diplexers but those systems are not as common anymore. as the penetration rate of the HD systems improves.

Dish, I don't know about. Perhaps someone knowledgeable can provide such details.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 18-Dec-2012 at 6:34 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2012, 9:34 PM   #12
mateo1978

I am having second thoughts about climbing into the attic with all that vermiculite. Would I stand a better chance of getting decent reception if I put it on the corner of the house near the roof line pointed at the main cluster of station antenni? From what I have seen that north west corner is fairly unobstructed. This would extend my cable run about 15 ft or so. I figure being outside and only blocked on the rear is better then it being inside the attic anyway.
Old 21-Dec-2012, 7:10 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

Outside the attic is almost always a better antenna location.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2013, 4:51 PM   #14
mateo1978

Sorry for the delay.. life got busy. I ended up putting the antenna on an old direct satellite mast that was laying around. it's below the roof line. I seem to have a pretty stable signal for winter, we'll see what happens when the trees grow the leaves back. Does it need to have the lightning arrestor installed being that it's out side, but below the roof?