TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
bgastineau

cannot get 1 channel from cluster of towers

I am approximately 9 miles from the Houston broadcast towers. The primary channels and signal strengths according to my television are are

KPRC 2 (35) - 100%
KUHT 8 - 100%
KHOU 11 - 92%
KTRK 13 - 86%
KRIV 26 - 47%

KRIV 26 is the weak one. It is barely watchable normally, and any sort of bad weather makes it unwatchable. The TVFool report indicates that it should be one of the stronger signals (based on NM) so I am confused why my television says it is much lower than the other 4 channels of interest broadcasting from roughly the same location.

I currently have an RCA ANT751 yagi style antenna mounted on the roof (15-20 feet above ground level). There is a 100' cable run between the antenna and TV. My neighbor 2 houses over toward the towers has some moderate sized trees on his land. I put a variable attenuator near the TV and adding attenuation only caused the signal strength to decrease, so I do not think that the signal strength is too strong.

Thank you

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4bdae6ca581

Last edited by bgastineau; 21-Jan-2017 at 11:28 PM.
bgastineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

This is not a problem of too much power. It's a problem of a very localized dead spot for one particular frequency caused by its unique signal path to the spot where you placed the antenna.

I run into this all the time. The solution is as simple as it is annoying for the customer to hear.

Move the antenna and try again. It might take a mere 6 inches, it might take 6 feet or it might take 6 yards. You might need to raise the antenna or you might need to lower it.

You will need patience and persistence. Don't drill any new holes until you're happy with your newly selected location.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2017, 8:13 PM   #3
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Yep, sometimes you can move 1/4 wavelength up or down the mast and go from nothing to great.

Also 100 ft of coax has considerable loss at UHF frequencies so if you can shorten it up it would help
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2017, 9:14 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

KRIV is calculated to have, before signal path impairments, antenna gain, and distribution losses, almost 70 dB of margin. That's 10,0000,000 times the amount needed for reception at the tuner input.

An amplifier isn't what's needed, one is more likely to cause new problems than to fix the issue with this one station.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote