TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Apr-2012, 10:00 PM   #21
samve33

Got the hint, USE the A/B switch. The antenna came in today and I was going to put it together, but the rain vetoed that. The wind finally died down, so weather premitting I'll have plenty to do tomorrow and hopefully let you know something tomorrow evening. Anything else you can think of?
samve33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
samve33

Let me ask you this, the picture for the 98P shows the short boom at the top. I thought it was suppose to be on the bottom. Does this make any difference? Should I put the short one on the 55 at the top too?
Old 28-Apr-2012, 1:03 PM   #23
No static at all

The short boom of the 7698 goes on top. Otherwise it will be in the way of the snap on cartridge the coax connects to on the bottom.

The HBU-55 support boom should stay as is on the bottom.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2012, 1:34 PM   #24
samve33

I seen that as I was putting the 98P together. I just wasn't sure if I had it right on the 55. I wasn't sure if that short boom had any effect on signal or support as to where it was mounted. I suspect is for support and has little if any effect on signal.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 2:41 PM   #25
No static at all

Correct, the boom keeps the antenna sturdy & prevents sagging.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 4:07 PM   #26
samve33

So far I've been disappointd with my test runs. I've seen no improvement over the HBU55 and the radio shack preamp. Seems to be about the same. I'm slightly lower because I'm doing these test without the rotor in place. I did catch WSB off the side one time but I lost it and haven't been able to get it back. I was at 335 then. Was only about 40%. About to try it 10 foot higher.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 4:22 PM   #27
No static at all

Are both antennas on the same mast? If so, how much vertical separation?
Old 28-Apr-2012, 4:38 PM   #28
samve33

As of now I'm only dealing with the 98P. THAT 10 foot made a world of difference. The very best I had been able to do was75%, I'm at 86% now. Before I was 20 feet. At 25 feet I lost WSB altogether. I'm at 30 feet now. Must had got over something.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 4:46 PM   #29
samve33

I do plan to put the 55 on the same mast. How far would be good? Think I'll try to add that 5 foot section also. It getting a little hairy doing this bymyself and the wind has picked up.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 4:52 PM   #30
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by samve33 View Post
How far would be good?
4 feet of vertical separation with those 2 antennas would be my recommendation. You can then fine tune vertical height once both are installed for overall best performance.

I have found just a few inches can make a substantial difference with UHF frequencies.
Old 28-Apr-2012, 11:00 PM   #31
samve33

This has been interesting. I ended up having to get some help. Kinda figuered it would be too much for me when I got everything mounted. Still ended up with a sexy looking mast, got a little curve to it. I've got the HBU55 on top as sugested and the 98P mounted 5 or 6 feet below. I'm going to try to go another foot or two up when I get the other ladder on the roof. At the moment the 98P is not connected or aimed. I'll go in the attic in the morning when it's cooler to run the coax. From what I'm seeing so far I think I did better when I was testing the 98P on the 30 foot mast. The HBU55 is at about 32 feet right now. I was able to get WAGA on the 98P at 30 feet, so far I've been unable to get it with the HBU55. Think I should put the 98P at the top?
Old 28-Apr-2012, 11:15 PM   #32
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The plan is/was to have the HD7698P antenna aimed at the north group of stations and the HBU55 rotate to look to the south west and south east. The antennas can be put on different mounts. You install the antennas the way you think is best.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2012, 11:36 PM   #33
samve33

That should work best really. I already know WSB won't come in at the height the 98P is/will be at, so north would be better for it. Got a great signal on WSB at 86% on the HBU55 right now. Got my lost stations back plus some. Haven't checked north much yet. I've got the 98P pointed in the general direction but it's not zeroed and didn't pick up much when I tested. Now I've got to play with the tv and rotor and see what all I've got. Let you know soon.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 12:24 AM   #34
samve33

Well, it's looking more and more as if the plan is going to be the way to go. The extra height has greatly helped me on the Atlanta stations, but it's hurt the weaker chattanooga stations. Right now the 98p is at about the height they came in better. I really would like to get good signal on channel 61 since tha will be my FOX station. I think the 98P can do that the best. Guess I wanted my cake and to eat it too. Hard to get all the stations guess I better take what I can get.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 1:38 AM   #35
Electron

Fox Virtual channel 61 is REAL UHF channel 40 and is in the gray reception zone and is Very Weak at minus -11.0 NM(dB).

Concentrate on receiving the Digital Tv stations of the Pending Applications Included in the , green , yellow and red reception zones , Reliably , and then go after the stations in the gray reception zone.

Last edited by Electron; 20-May-2012 at 8:52 PM.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
samve33

These radio waves are some strange critters. I was expecting the signals to be much better this morning and Atlanta is coming in very strong. Even got WAGA at 77%, but Chattanooga is a flop this morning. WRCB has always been one of my strongest stations, didn''t think I could hurt it, but it's not really watchable this morning. Came in fine last night. I believe once I get that lower antenna going they'll be ok. I did get several more Atlanta stations programmed in. This set-up is much better than what I had.I hope I can get 5 or 61 to be reliabe since those are my two FOX choices.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
No static at all

Enhanced tropo activity is likely responsible for some of the inconsistent reception you are seeing.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 2:10 PM   #38
samve33

Inconsistant is the key word. I had some glowing numbers on WSB and suddenly it' dropped to 15%. Wonder if something else has went wrong. I tried that link you gave me, but it said not found.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 2:13 PM   #39
No static at all

Type in "Tropospheric Ducting Forecasts" in your search box & you should be able to locate the website.
Old 29-Apr-2012, 3:27 PM   #40
Electron

.We can do this step by step that way you are not going 60 directions at the same time.

Using the DIGITAL CHANNELS LIST - PENDING APPLICATIONS INCLUDED as a Guide.

The plan is/was to have the HD7698P antenna NOT Mounted on the rotor and aimed at about 355 degree magnetic compass to receive WKSY IND. to the north west , WNGH PBS to the north east and the Tv stations/channels in between WKSY and WNBH .

QUESTION NUMBER ONE --> are the Tv stations/channels being received and what Tv stations/channels are being received reliably .

QUESTION NUMBER TWO --> And also any Tv stations/channels being received reliably that are outside of the spread of Tv stations from WKSY to WNGH with the HD7698P ??

With the HBU55 out of the way you can raise and lower and turn the HD7698P antenna to to the left and right find the best one mounting position for reception day and night.

Last edited by Electron; 20-May-2012 at 8:54 PM.