TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 6-Feb-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
mwnewberry

Beam or array for weak TV signal

I am 70 miles from Corpus Christi Texas. TV signals fade out at night.
What is best antenna for fringe area - beam or array?
Also - how to combine antennas without losing signal?
Antennas are 40 feet up with RG-8 coax and mask mounted amps.
Mike
mwnewberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2016, 1:16 AM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, mike:

Please post the link to your tvfool signal report for an accurate analysis using your exact address (which will not show) by entering your information here:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

What are you using now for an antenna system?

RG 8 is 52 ohms; RG 11 and RG 6 are more common for TV reception since they are 75 ohms.

Quote:
What is best antenna for fringe area - beam or array?
Every location is unique and requires a custom solution.

Quote:
Also - how to combine antennas without losing signal?
A UHF antenna and a VHF antenna are easy to combine with a UVSJ. Two UHF antennas are difficult to combine without losing signals.

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Feb-2016 at 1:29 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2016, 2:08 AM   #3
mwnewberry

1. I am using beam style antennas. I will look for the paperwork for make/models.
2. I think it is RG-6. I will check when I get back down to S. TX. Thanks for the tip!
3. I have 3 UHF antennas to combine.
4. I can read the signal levels daytime but at night they tend to drop.
5. I have the TVfool signal report but can't attach it yet! This site is new to me. How?
6. Location - Beeville TX 78102 address 3800 S. US HWY 881
Thanks for your help, tips and suggestions
Old 6-Feb-2016, 2:12 AM   #4
mwnewberry

I think I have attached the signal report:
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (71.8 KB, 1058 views)
Old 6-Feb-2016, 2:54 AM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the report image. An active iink is more useful because we can click on a callsign in the report that tells us about the transmitter and the signal path.

I got a similar report when I used your address. This is the active link that is listed in bold type near the top of your report; you copy and paste it.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51346d24645d04

What 3 directions are your antennas aimed?

What preamps are you using?

What channels by callsign are most important to you?

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Feb-2016 at 3:03 AM.
Old 7-Feb-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
mwnewberry

The 3 antennas are aimed -
South to capture Channels 3, 6 and 10 from Corpus Christi.
East to capture signals from Victoria TX. Ch 25
and North to capture San Antonio channels 4, 5 and 12.
My primary channels are from Corpus Christi - KIII, KRIS and KZTV
If I switch from the South antenna to the North antenna I can usually pick up channels 4,5 and 12 - unless a front (Norther) is moving in but the signals are weak to normal.
The Corpus Christi channels are normal to good during the day but at night they get weak to normal and cut out a lot. I'm wondering if an array antenna would be better.
I have recently set up the 3rd antenna to the East to pick up the Victoria channels and they seem to be the best (good) - so far! At least they have not been dropping out at night.
I am surprised that I can't seem to put 2 amps (6 total for 3 antennas)in series to boost the signals to the point that I can combine all 3 coaxes without losing all my signals. It seems the more amps I insert - the less signal I get! Why is that? There is signal there.
I don't remember the Mfg of the preamps - I will check on that when I get back down there. The Victoria antenna (East) only has an amp in the splitter that goes to the TVs. No mast mounted antenna. This is the original South antenna. I replaced it with a new one since the Corpus channels were cutting out so bad - thought it might be bad but it seems to work for the Victoria channels.
Old 7-Feb-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
mwnewberry

The 3 antennas are aimed -
South to capture Channels 3, 6 and 10 from Corpus Christi.
East to capture signals from Victoria TX. Ch 25 KAVU
and North to capture San Antonio channels 4, 5 and 12 KENS, WOAI and KSAT
If I switch from the South antenna to the north antenna I can usually pick up channels 4,5 and 12 - unless a front (Norther) is moving in but the signals are weak to normal.
The Corpus Christi channels are normal to good during the day but at night they get weak to normal and cut out a lot. I'm wondering if an array antenna would be better.
I have recently set up the 3rd antenna to the East to pick up the Victoria channels and they seem to be the best (good) - so far! At least they have not been dropping out at night. This is the original Corpus ant but I replaced it because the South signals were dropping out so bad but it works for the Victoria channels.
I am surprised that I can't seem to put 2 amps (6 total for 3 antennas)in series to boost the signals to the point that I can combine all 3 coaxes without losing all my signals. I understand that if there is no signal - I can't amp it but there is signal.
I don't remember the Mfg of the preamps - I will check on that when I get back down there. The Victoria antenna (East) only has an amp in the splitter that goes to the TVs. No mast mounted antenna. This is the original South antenna. I replaced it with a new one since the Corpus channels were cutting out so bad - thought it might be bad but it seems to work for the Victoria channels.
Old 7-Feb-2016, 1:34 AM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I'm having a hard time with the channel numbers. Real channel numbers don't have a decimal point, and virtual channel numbers do have a decimal point, but you are using numbers without a decimal point for virtual channel numbers. Also, the report doesn't always list the virtual channel number, which is why I asked for callsigns.
Quote:
Quote:
They are some of your strongest channels. You shouldn't be having trouble with them unless there is something in the signal path like trees or another building.
Quote:
I am surprised that I can't seem to put 2 amps (6 total for 3 antennas)in series to boost the signals to the point that I can combine all 3 coaxes without losing all my signals. I understand that if there is no signal - I can't amp it but there is signal.
I remember the first time I did that; I thought there was something wrong with my equipment. What you have is an overload condition. The second preamp and the tuner are being overloaded to the point that the signal is there, but it can't be decoded by the tuner. Too much signal.
Quote:
to boost the signals to the point that I can combine all 3 coaxes without losing all my signals.
What method are you using to combine them?

I still need to know the make and model of the antennas and preamps.

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-Feb-2016 at 1:40 AM.
Old 7-Feb-2016, 1:40 AM   #9
mwnewberry

I will get back to you with the make and model info.
Thanks for the help.
PS - what is the best way to measure signals?