TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Dec-2013, 2:44 AM   #1
tfRR

Reception issues -- looking for advice

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6899d6db07

Equipment: Antennas Direct - Clearstream 4 and a PA-18 pre-amp.

It's mounted to the roof.. many trees and a house in the general direction of towers I am trying to aim at.

I was able to barely get channel 13.1 (KCPQ Fox) last two days ago. Now with the rain, it's completely gone. Is there anything wrong with my equipment? Did I completely buy the wrong gear?

Top channels I am trying to receive are: 4 (komo), 5 (king), 7 (kiro), 13 (kcpq)

Thanks all!

Last edited by tfRR; 14-Dec-2013 at 3:18 AM.
tfRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2013, 1:41 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Most likely, the rain has made trees wet and the wet leaves are blocking the weak signals from downtown UHF 22 translator.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2013, 3:41 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
------
So are you saying that

KOMO Real UHF channel 38

KING Real UHF channel 48

KIRO Real UHF channel 39

KCPQ Real VHF channel 13 and Real UHF channel 22

Were being received and are not being received now , and or , are not being received reliably??

And are other Tv stations channels also missing , and or , not reliable??

-----------------------

The number 1 cause of - Declining Reception - that gets worse as time goes by is

Water in the connections and water in the coax.

The water corrodes the connectors and connections and gets in to the coax.

When water gets into the coax , the coax is then defective and needs to be replaced.

As a Test of reception , Connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax that has the Compression Type Connectors on the ends of the coax , to the antenna and run the New Continues Length of coax through a open door or window , direct to 1 Tv , no splitters , no ground blocks , no amplifiers , no etc. .

----------

Remove and Discard All Coax Boots , coax boots , take in and hold water at the connections , holding water at the connections , Is Not Good.

----------

Aim the C4 antenna at about 190 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointomg/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

----------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

-------------

What is reception like now??

Last edited by teleview; 15-Dec-2013 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 14-Dec-2013, 5:52 PM   #4
tfRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Most likely, the rain has made trees wet and the wet leaves are blocking the weak signals from downtown UHF 22 translator.
I understand that and I should have been more clear. I cannot get 4.1, 5.1 or 7.1 and was barely able to get channel 13.1 before the rain.

My questions:
1) Is the gear I have able to pick up these channels
2) if so, what guidance does anyone have?
3) any other suggestions?
Old 14-Dec-2013, 6:12 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Yes, it (the gear) should adequate before considering the external factors of wet trees blocking signals.

When the trees dry out somewhat, your reception is likely to improve. Being Seattle, that might be a really long while though.

There are likely other factors, notably VHF vs UHF, but the description of "many trees" and rain sticks out like a sore thumb that cannot be ignored.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 14-Dec-2013 at 6:15 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Dec-2013, 8:07 PM   #6
tfRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Yes, it (the gear) should adequate before considering the external factors of wet trees blocking signals.

When the trees dry out somewhat, your reception is likely to improve. Being Seattle, that might be a really long while though.

There are likely other factors, notably VHF vs UHF, but the description of "many trees" and rain sticks out like a sore thumb that cannot be ignored.
Thanks. I am just confused at how I was able to get 13.1 that is 30 miles out, yet I couldnt figure out how to get 4 or 5 even though they are around 9 miles.

I am going to see if I can get this antenna a bit higher because the direction needed is possibly blocked a little by the next house.

Last edited by tfRR; 14-Dec-2013 at 8:10 PM.
Old 15-Dec-2013, 3:53 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

A bunch of thoughts...

How high above the roof is your antenna? Have you tried adjusting the aim, scanning for channels after each adjustment? Are you aimed into trees or other obstructions when looking toward Queen Anne & Capitol Hill?

Unless your TV tuner gives you the ability to see which of the KCPQ signals it locked on, you don't know if you are seeing the primary signal broadcast on real CH-13 or the translator signal which is broadcast on real CH-22. I expect the CS-4 would do better with real CH-22 than real CH-13.

I'm in the same reception market as you. My personal experience has been that the largest antennas are not over-kill. The ClearStream 4 is enough antenna on based on the report you've posted, but a DB8e or 91XG for UHF and a Y10713 for 9 & 11 (if you want them) is not going to be excessive.

I'm a bit concerned that the PA-18 may overload if you're getting hit with FM from either Tiger or Cougar Mt. The RCA TVPRAMP1R is far more tolerant of stronger signals.

Before you buy anything else, please run this test: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2013, 4:04 AM   #8
teleview

+=>
-------
As always , the Best Reception happens when , nothing is , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , Have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv signal bouncing all around.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

The Antennas Direct PA-18 preamp is designed for Very Low Signal Strength Areas where All Tv channels are less then 30 NM(dB).

And No close strong FM radio transmitters.

The PA-18 preamp can Overloaded from strong signals , and will make reception worse on some channels.

Disconnect and Remove All parts of the PA-18 amplifier , remove the preamplifier unit , remove the power injector , remove the power supply.

Recommend , Correct the other reception situations/problems and Test reception without a amplifier.

A New Continues Length of coax from the antenna connected direct to 1 Tv.

Last edited by teleview; 15-Dec-2013 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 15-Dec-2013, 6:05 AM   #9
tfRR

Thank you all for the help! I have a bit of work ahead of me. This definitely gives me direction. I will report back after I have some time to test when the weather is better.
Old 17-Dec-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
tfRR

Hey everyone. I really appreciate the help. All the advice worked, except for one main channel (KCPQ) and sadly the main reason I was trying to get this hooked up.

Currently moving the antenna to a higher spot helps tremendously. Removing the pre-amp probably helped to. My question is now.

Should I look into getting a better VHF antenna? I have been reading that the clearstream 4 is not very good for VHF.

I will also be testing the pre-amp this weekend to see if it helps.

I also noticed I cannot get KONG (31) but that isn't as important to me as KCPQ.

Thanks again all!
Old 18-Dec-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
teleview

+=>
------
Run a new continues length of coax from the antenna direct to 1 Tv ??

Did you do a Double Rescan??
Old 18-Dec-2013, 8:15 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

In an effort to get real CH-9, 11 & 13, I'd add an Antennacraft Y10713. I'd change out the PA-18 for an RCA TVPRAMP1R which has separate inputs for the existing UHF antenna and the added VHF antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote