TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > General Site Feedback / Discussion

Notices

Old 3-May-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Mark_O

Smile Suggestions--TV Signal Locator

I think the current tools are amazingly excellent, and a very valuable resource. However, after using them a while, a couple things occurred to me.

1) Tweaking - I.e., making small adjustments, to gauge the effect that alternatives could have. The most frequent would simply be adjusting the antenna height. However, currently things are set up as a "Start Over", with a blank slate every time. This makes it tedious to re-enter everything that HASN'T changed, just to modify one aspect that has.

2) Focus - I.e., typically a large number of channels will be listed, which is great for DXing purposes. But usually there will only be a subset of those that are "Channels of Interest", that one really cares about getting (or can get) on a regular basis.

If there was some way to tag those specific channels, that would significantly "clean up" both the lists and the radar map, allowing one to focus on the primary channels. In this view, the only thing that would cause any of the remaining channels to be listed would be if they presented a possibility of AdjChan, or CoChan interference to the Primary set.

3) Sort by Region - I.e., the lists are currently sorted by NM, which makes the most sense in the general case. But when it comes time to consider the need for a rotor, or multiple antennas to service several divergent DMAs, sorting by Azimuth would more easily cluster "neighbors" than the current method of similar-color tagging.

I don't know who we have to thank for the great system that's already in place, but you might consider whether you think any of the above are worth your time to implement. Thanks!

- Mark

P.S. As it is right now, I'm tempted to export the main list into a spreadsheet, for additional modification and tweaking (to implement 2 and 3 manually). Which also isn't possible.
Mark_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-May-2010, 3:42 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Tweaking is possible by using the "start MAPS" option. At the page with the Google map showing the receive location, the predictions are updated each time either the location or the antenna height is changed.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-May-2010, 9:39 AM   #3
Mark_O

Thanks, Dave! I'll give StartMaps a try.

- Mark
Mark_O is offline   Reply With Quote