TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Nov-2010, 7:11 PM   #1
rabbitears

OTA reception is not that difficult these days

Hello everyone : I just thought it would be nice to share my story with all of you . I've been watching TV since the late 40s . Rabbit ears, Rabbit ears with tin foil , Roof antennas, Cable boxes, Direct TV , Dishnet, FTA boxes, you name it I've had it . Most recently I switched to HD sets and enjoyed a basic cable setup @ $ 19.95 a month . However they got greedy , didn't appreciate the idea that HDTV sets were able to receive 150 + channels with only a basic connection so they threw out blockers . I decided to experiment . I went in the attic , disconnected my Comcast cable and connected an old set of Rabbit ears from the 70s. Low and behold , I'm enjoying 35 locals channels within a 75 mile radius on all 5 sets . All crystal clear HD reception . Needless to say goodbye Comcast and yes goodbye ESPN, CNBC, FOX NEWS , but we are getting use to the local shows and certainly enjoying the after tax savings of $ the $ 276 yearly cable bill . In addition , I'm pointing my old dish towards 61.5 where my neighbor is enjoying CNBC, FOX, and ESPN free to air . I'll let you know the results .
rabbitears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 8:58 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

Yes I agree it is much easier to receive broadcast tv now days. The new people coming on board think it is hard. And they believe all the fantastic claims of 150,000 mile broadcast reception tv antennas. They end up here on tvfool. I have been on this planet for 61 years. I remember when there were no cell phones , no cable tv , no satellite tv , no vcr's , no dvd , no cd's , no video games , no internet , no internet protocall tv , no toilet paper , and we did not have a tv on the farm.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Dec-2010 at 10:41 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Nov-2010, 9:20 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

My first satellite dish was a 10 foot C-Band fiber glass wire mesh with a screw type jack dish mover and manual tune receiver and manual polerizer adjustment. For you new people that do not know what manual control is , in this case means , it's a metal box with a electronic circuit inside and a actual knob that you turn on the outside of the box. There are no computers , it's a simple direct acting electronic circuit. HBO was new at that time and was transmitted in the clear. Think it's easy , I did it ALL my self , The dish was a 10 foot Prodlin.

Last edited by John Candle; 21-Dec-2010 at 10:42 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Dec-2010, 3:57 PM   #4
rickcain

In my days we didn't have TV reception, we went to plays, concerts and theatre lit by candles, and we LIKED it!
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote