TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Feb-2012, 8:08 PM   #1
reirdrhollander

55 channels in Loveland, CO

****EDIT: After following the advice of this thread I got 55 channels in Loveland CO. I am getting channels from both Cheyenne and Denver. Thanks for the quick response guys.****

After reading about a couple of people getting up to 50 channels in northern Colorado I picked up a DB8 antenna from Antenna Direct. It is mounted to my roof about 20-25 feet above the ground, has a run of about 40 feet of RG6 quad shield that goes directly to a Sony KDF-E42A10 television.

Here is my TVFool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86cd942836cf

All I want out of this setup is ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. When I do do a channel search through the built in tuner in the TV it says it finds 19 analog stations and 11 digital. I get 11 digital stations but all of the analog stations are just static. Here is what I do get:

7.1 - KMGH (ABC)
7.2 - Azteca
7.3 - Cool TV
7.4 - 24/7 news and weather (ABC affiliate)
9.1 - KUSA (NBC)
9.2 - 24/7 news and weather (NBC Affiliate)
12.1 - KBDI (PBS)
12.2 - KBDI+ (PBS)
12.3 - KBDI (world news)
33.1 - KQCK (VasalloVision)
33.2 - KQCK (ValloVision)

Like I said none of the analog stations come in although the TV stops at them only to display static.

Since my goal is to get the 4 major networks what might I do to add CBS and Fox? I don't understand why they don't come in because the tower is in the same place as ABC/NBC and the DB doesn't seem that different.

Any help?

Last edited by reirdrhollander; 2-Feb-2012 at 2:39 PM. Reason: Fixed
reirdrhollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Feb-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your symptoms are of either having the antenna signal fed into the wrong connector or that you are only scanning "Cable" settings. All of the reported channels you're receiving transmit on the VHF band. As it happens, cable channels 7-13 happen to coincide with with antenna channels 7-13 and a cable-capable tuner will often recognize only those channels when connected to an antenna and will usually not recognize UHF channels. It's a pretty common situation that we get when customers call in.

1) Verify you hooked the antenna to the "Antenna" input, not the "Cable" input. Your vintage of a Sony was produced during a relatively narrow period (2004-2007 or so) in which Sony provided separate inputs for antenna and for cable connections.

2) Ensure that you are scanning the Antenna input, not the Cable input, when you select the scan function.

Good luck! If you need assistance with the Sony, please contact Sony directly.

At this point, I don't see any evidence that you have an antenna issue. In the event that symptoms change and it looks like yo might have an antenna issue, please call us directly. We have customer/tech support available from 9 AM to 9 PM (Central) weekdays and 10-6 weekends.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Feb-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Some thoughts , The tv needs to scan for the , Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , also known as the 'Air Channels'. Do not scan for digital cable tv channels , Do not scan for analog cable channels. . Also look inside the connectors on the ends of the RG-6 quad coax , if the foil shields and shield wires are pushed in toward the center conductor , push the foil shields and shield wires away from the center conductor.

Last edited by Electron; 2-Feb-2012 at 4:18 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Feb-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
ADTech

RG6QS is fine to use. It will neither help nor harm your reception as long as it and its connectors are not defective. If you've got it and it's good, use it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 2-Feb-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
reirdrhollander

Thank you so much ADTech. That was exactly the problem.

This is my first foray into OTA TV and someone on another forum discussing this particular TV said to use the cable side. I switched it like you said and ended up with 55 digital stations. Thanks again, I got my goal of getting the 4 major networks plus a few more good channels.

Also, I was at Lowes and 500 feet of the RG6QS was $1 cheaper than 250 feet of regular RG6. No idea why but I figured I couldn't go wrong, other than I now have 450 feet of coax to use up somewhere.
reirdrhollander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2012, 2:21 PM   #6
ADTech

Sweet! Update the thread title, perhaps?

As for the difference in price, I guess it's due more to the volume of RG6-QS sold to the standard RG6 at the big box store. Just keep in mind that you have to purchase fittings that match the coax. You'll go crazy trying to install standard RG6 fittings onto RG6QS cable.

Quote:
Last edited by Electron; Yesterday at 11:18 PM.
How convenient is that?