TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Mar-2014, 7:56 AM   #1
f3d

Please help me understand this analysis

Hello folks,

I've tried my best to understand my reception analysis but it's like Latin to me. Any help in picking the right antenna, etc is much appreciated. I don't have any equipment yet and need input on everything I would need to get as many channels as possible.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9433c9189f31

Last edited by f3d; 8-Mar-2014 at 8:12 AM.
f3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2014, 8:33 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your report shows that the available broadcasts are from the same general direction. That's very helpful because you can expect to find a single antenna that will receive all available signals without the need to rotate when changing channels. Also shown on your report are the real channels used by each station, this helps determine the type of antenna.

In this case, you have signals in the UHF band (real CH-14 and higher) as well as a few signals broadcast on High-VHF channels (real CH-7 through CH-13). You'll want to use an antenna that is designed to receive both bands (UHF and H-VHF).

Next, the report lists the predicted signal strength of each signal. The NM value is easiest to use IMO. Up to a point, the higher the number the better... almost all are double digit positive values, which means you should not need to use a extremely large antenna to get enough signal.

If I was in your situation, I'd opt for an antenna such as the Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU-33. I'd start with the antenna pointed at about 315° per a compass.

Mounting outdoors, clear of obstructions such as buildings (including your house) trees or other vegetation will give you a far better opportunity for reliable reception.

After looking at the list of stations in the Hilo area (as shown at http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=KHAW#station), I expect you'll see the major networks and possibly a religious station and locally produced station.

Are you planning to connect more than one TV? if so, how many?

How long a cable will be needed to get from the antenna to the farthest TV?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Mar-2014 at 8:37 AM. Reason: A couple of questions
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Mar-2014, 3:05 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
The Winegard HD7694P and Antenna Craft HBU33 , will most likely not be found on any of the islands and shipping costs from the main land are very high.

The Tvfool report is showing the Tv stations are in the Green and Yellow reception zones and are LOS=Line Of Sight , the best type and kind of reception because their are no natural land obstructions between the transmitting antenna and receiving antenna.

Best Buy stores have the Antennas Direct , Clear Stream CS2V , C2-V-CJM antenna.

Aim the antenna at about 290 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Install the antenna Above The Peak Of The Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , West and North West.

------

A antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

------------

As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location the has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

--------------

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

And the Tvfool report is also showing , Analog Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

In the Tv Setup Menu , look for a full channel scan , selection/option , so the Tv will scan for , digital and analog broadcast Tv stations channels

Do Not channel scan for Analog Tv channels only.

And Do Not channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 9-Mar-2014 at 5:58 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 10-Mar-2014, 7:51 AM   #4
f3d

Awesome!
This ought to help me get started in my process of cutting the cable. Thank you guys for spending the time to help me through this.
Old 10-Mar-2014, 7:53 AM   #5
f3d

Oh forgot to mention that I intend to connect three tvs to the antenna. My house is wired with coax to each room and there are two of those multi room splitters outside. One from directv and one from the dish. Would those be helpful to use?
Old 10-Mar-2014, 7:57 AM   #6
f3d

Also, the run to the furthest tv is probably 70'
Old 10-Mar-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
two of those multi room splitters outside. One from directv and one from the dish. Would those be helpful to use?
No, do NOT use them unless you know exactly how they will affect TV signals. Many satellite-specific devices that LOOK like splitters will block TV signals. It's simpler and less frustrating to buy and install the correct part the first time.

You can use a splitter specified for cable TV. They will work fine.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
-----
To reduce problems with reception and distribution of the Tv antenna signals.

Disconnect and Remove All satellite devices , such as and not limited to , receivers , multi-plexers , couplers , combiners , splitters , amplifiers , power injectors/power supplies and etc. .

Yes is Ok to use the satellite system coaxes for the antenna system.

It is important to keep in mind that coaxes and connections can be defective even if the coaxes and connections look ok.

Test reception with 1 Tv connected , No splitter.

Then use a splitter to connect the other Tv's.

A Winegard LNA-100 Boost , antenna system amplifier can be installed before any splitters - if required - .

Notice that the word is - if - , not , will be .

Last edited by teleview; 11-Mar-2014 at 5:04 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.