TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2015, 3:37 PM   #1
rafulton1944

Help on antenna selection for attic

Here is my info: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3f738c58104b

Are there any set-top or attic anntena options for us at our location? We'd like to be able to receive the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.). We live in a 1-story house (attic is around 15' from the ground.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Rich
rafulton1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 5:07 PM   #2
Tower Guy

I doubt that you'll get all the major networks with an attic antenna. If you want to try it anyway, get an HBU-55 and a TVPRAMP-1R preamp. If you are not happy with the results, be prepared to mount it on the roof.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Feb-2015, 5:15 PM   #3
rafulton1944

What networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) would you expect we would get with the above equipment in the attic?

Rich
Old 19-Feb-2015, 5:18 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

You can probably get some reception from inside an attic. But the predicted signal levels and path profile of the major network affiliates such as WXIA (NBC) and WSB (ABC) call for an antenna system to be mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions such as buildings (including yours) and trees.

I'd opt for an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + a high input preamp such as the Antennas Direct 'Juice' + separate UHF/VHF combiner or an RCA TVPRAMP1R.

The Y10713 is needed for it's ability to receive real channels 7 through 13. In you application, it's needed for receiving real CH-10 and possibly real CH-8 (WXIA & WGTV). I'd point it toward 115° per a real compass as a starting aim point, then fine tune the aim from there.

The DB8E covers real channels 14 and higher. one panel should face 110° (compass) and the other panel adjusted to achieve the best overall reception, including the main group at 110° as well as the scattered signals to the NE.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 4:13 AM   #5
rafulton1944

In my graph all major networks (abc nbc cbs fox. Pbs) are in green. Is it not likely that they would be viewable with a set-top antenna?

Rich
Old 24-Feb-2015, 8:57 AM   #6
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafulton1944 View Post
In my graph all major networks (abc nbc cbs fox. Pbs) are in green. Is it not likely that they would be viewable with a set-top antenna?

Rich
Since TVF doesn't offer filters for calculating signal loss for attics, set tops, or bank vaults, the only option, is to try your preferred location and see if you're satisfied w/ the results. If not, keep trying.

You should probably expect to lose 7-13 db in the attic and even more set top, since it isn't as high.

You may be better off, just mounting it outside and be done w/ it.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafulton1944 View Post

Rich
Very doubtful you will see any channels reliably with a set top antenna.

At the very minimum you will need a good attic mounted antenna. Hard to say how well it will work w/o trying. I would say you have a 50/50 chance at best.

I agree with the HBU 55 recommendation if you want to try the attic first. Check with your local Radio Shack(if they are still open). The HBU 55 is selling for $50.00.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2015, 1:59 PM   #8
rafulton1944

For those who responded to my cry for help, thank you! It will be a great adventure to start into this project. It would be wonderful to say goodbye to Directv!

Rich
Old 28-Feb-2015, 4:32 PM   #9
Galt

I live 8 miles from most transmitters in my area. Picked up a HBU 55 at a closing Radioshack for $9. I put it in my attic. I have a clay tile roof. I am using that single antenna to feed 5 TVs in my house and I get 80 digital channels. I also use a Channel Vision powered distribution panel, works much better than a pre-amp. A note about the HBU 55 - it is HUGE! make sure you have room for it.

Last edited by Galt; 28-Feb-2015 at 4:35 PM.
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Mar-2015, 7:57 PM   #10
rafulton1944

Signal quality fluctuation

Tv Fool graph: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0a303ec340f

I'm using a flat-mount hdtv antenna in our living room. Able to get 31 channels. Problem is, signal quality has significant fluctuation at various times and on various channels. A channel might go from signal strength 100 to 0 and back again off and on, so reception is inconsistent. Any suggestions?

Note: Signal quality on most channels is around 60.

Rich
Old 1-Apr-2015, 8:57 AM   #11
Stereocraig

Not only are indoor antennas going to have roughly half of their signal blocked, but they may also be too low to "see" a reliable signal.
Electronic devices and people moving around, will also degrade the signal quality.

At very least, you should experiment w/ different antenna locations.
Don't bee too disappointed, if you need to place the antenna outside.

If you're using an amp, it may also be overloading.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2015, 2:32 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

For the sake of clarity, I've merged your posts into a single thread.

All I can suggest at this point would be a repeat of of my previous thought's and to agree with he comments made by No static at all & Stereocraig.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote