TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Dec-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
pabloj13

Help for newbie in NC

I got tired of paying for 300 channels that I don't watch so I want to just get my locals OTA. I am renting the place and the landlord doesn't want anything on the roof, but I can use the attic. This is my information:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32e959183f4b

I really only need to get the locals coming out of Raleigh (127 degrees). Do you guys have a recommendation for an antenna? Do I need a preamp if I am only splitting to two TV's with a total run of maybe 40-50 feet?

Thanks for your help!
pabloj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-2010, 4:58 PM   #2
pabloj13

Solid Signal recommended the Antennas Direct C4 ClearStream4 Outdoor Digital HD TV Antenna (C4).
Old 16-Dec-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Is this a house or a apt. type building ? Is structure wrapped with any type or kind of metal such as metal siding or stucko with stucko wire ? Are the walls made out of poured concrete ? Does the structure have a metal roof ?
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2010, 1:03 AM   #4
pabloj13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
Is this a house or a apt. type building ? Is structure wrapped with any type or kind of metal such as metal siding or stucko with stucko wire ? Are the walls made out of poured concrete ? Does the structure have a metal roof ?
Two-story house. Frame construction. Single-layer asphalt shingles. Wood/masonite siding. Thanks!
Old 16-Dec-2010, 1:39 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I recommend the Antennacraft U8000 antenna , directed at about 128 magnetic compass. The channels at your location are in the UHF and the high part of the VHF high band channel 11. This antenna will work fine for UHF and VHF High. This antenna does not have much in the way of reflectors , so the UHF stations that are on the back side of the antenna will be received , like WUNC 25 PBS. . Read and understand this about Real and Virtual Tv Channels.

Last edited by John Candle; 16-Dec-2010 at 1:43 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2010, 2:12 AM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Another totally baffling recommendation from John Candle: Why would you use a UHF-only antenna when there is an important VHF high-band station in the market? No one would ever recommend using a UHF antenna in such a situation, especially in an attic situation where there is NO DIRECT line of sight!

I suggest using a VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna like an AntennaCraft HBU-33 or a Winegard HD-7694P mounted in the attic, suspended in such a way that it can be fully extended and not have the elements touching any surrounding materials. Aim the antenna at 135 degrees by using a compass, and you will see all the R-D stations.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

John, while it is true that bow-tie arrays can have positive gain on high-VHF channels, that gain is typically no more than 3 dBi, is limited to only a few channels in the band, and VSWR is a big problem.

An attic install with a 1-edge path, despite the high NM, requires a properly designed high-VHF antenna. Some modelling data to back this up is here and corresponding test data is here.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 16-Dec-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: data to back up the words
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote