TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Mar-2014, 5:40 PM   #1
ragendem

Choosing an antenna in St. Augustine, FL

I ran this report at 9 feet http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b948ae0d1bd9d because I plan on putting an antenna in my attic/crawlspace.

It looks like the channels I really want to get (CBS, FOX, Ind 4.1, PBS NBC ABC) are in the same direction, but the last three are in the yellow.

I know I am better off installing on the roof, but I would really like to give the attic a chance if there is a fair chance of success. I am looking at the Antennas Direct DB2E, based on the antenna guide and amazon reviews.

Summary:
  • Are my chances of receiving everything in green and yellow, with a 9ft attic install fair?
  • Are all the channels I want (CBS, FOX, Ind 4.1, PBS NBC ABC) in the same direction?
  • Is the Antennas Direct DB2E a good choice for me?
ragendem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2014, 5:47 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Amazon reviews are usually a pretty lousy way to select an antenna since your antenna selection is all about you and your location. The DB2e is the wrong (or incomplete) antenna for your situation as there two major stations in Jax that are on VHF, the PBS and NBC affiliates.

Before recommending any antenna, we really need to know what the signal path looks like back in the direction of Jax. Do you have a clear path, are you in a swamp with tall tees, behind some other taller buildings, etc.

As for your attic, it has been observed that metal roofs and radiant barrier insulation are both quite common in your state. If you have either, that would effectively rule out the attic space.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Mar-2014, 6:13 PM   #3
ragendem

Thank you for your reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The DB2e is the wrong (or incomplete) antenna for your situation as there two major stations in Jax that are on VHF, the PBS and NBC affiliates.
OK, how do I go about finding an antenna? I would like it to be 2 feet or shorter in height, work in the VHF and UHF frequencies, and less than $100.

Quote:
Do you have a clear path, are you in a swamp with tall tees, behind some other taller buildings, etc.
Yes - clear path, no tall trees or buildings.

Quote:
As for your attic, it has been observed that metal roofs and radiant barrier insulation are both quite common in your state. If you have either, that would effectively rule out the attic space.
I don't have a metal roof, and the attic is above the garage - no insulation near the antenna, or between the antenna and the stations.
Old 1-Mar-2014, 9:30 PM   #4
ADTech

A C2V would likely work right out of the box. If you're a handy type person and don't mind doing some work, the VHF element from a C2V can be added to a DB2e with some effort. We'll have a "clip-on" VHF upgrade kit available pretty soon, probably by mid-spring or so that make it simple to do the conversion.

The other option would be to look at small combo antennas from other companies. They will be longer in length as they will have extra VHF elements which, in your case, might (or not) be needed. Outdoors, no. In an attic, maybe.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 1-Mar-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
ragendem

Quote:
A C2V would likely work right out of the box.
This is one of the antennas I was looking at.

However, I just realized that there is stucco between the antenna and the towers. No point trying in the attic, right?
Old 1-Mar-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
-----
The Current Tv Channels that are being transmitted and received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

UHF channels 14 thru 51.

Your location has receivable channels in the , VHF high band and UHF band.

The Tvfool channel list and radar report shows the Real Channels and (virt) virtual numbers.

The Real channels are what is being transmitted and received , the (virt) numbers are not Real channels even if the (virt) number is the same as the Real channel.

I recommend install in the attic a , www.antennasdirect.net , HBU11K , VHF high band UHF band antenna aimed at about 340 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Attics and the Inside of buildings Are Not a reception environment and Never Will Be a reception friendly environment.

If reception issues/problems happen with the antenna in the attic that are not resolvable with antenna aim and location adjustments in the attic then move the HBU11K antenna to above the peak of the roof in such a manner that the roofs and buildings in such a manner that the roofs and buildings Are Not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North North West and South South East.

A antenna system amplifier is not required.
Old 2-Mar-2014, 1:30 AM   #7
ADTech

Only if you approach it with low expectations. The metal screen behind the stucco makes a good signal blocker.