TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Aug-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Quinn

artsy tower mount vs attic

(sixth try posting this - if it tells me I'm not logged in again, I am going to lose it...)

I think I am a great candidate to cut the cable. All major stations are in same direction (64-77 degrees azimuth) with good strength and under 10 miles LOS.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe514bb42a07

Couple issues though. I tried an interior cheap one and it brought in most stations, but placing the antenna was a problem and we have 2 TVs. Not keen on a roof mount: new roof and it would be on the street side of this contemporary ranch so not a good look. Chimney mount is out because the chimney is integral. No gable option because roof is all hipped. There is a huge empty attic, no metal there, BUT no attic on the north-northeast side of the house because ceilings are vaulted there. Is it a deal breaker for signals to have to pass across the great room to get to the attic?

A wacky alternative that just might work involves 2 skylight towers that rise up through the roof in the center of the house. One side of each tower happens to face north-northeast, the direction I need. Is there an unobtrusive antenna I could mount to the wood siding on the further back tower? Or more boldly, something kinda sculptural I could mount to the front side of the very prominent north-northeast tower right above the front entry?

(We have a metal sculpture in the yard and another mounted to the side of the house, so this just might work in an odd artsy way...)

Are there antennae suitable for mounting to a vertical face? And is my situation one where it makes sense to try this?
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Aug-2010, 7:22 AM   #2
John Candle

Reception

Give the huge empty attic a try , the signals are strong , this antenna and a 2 way splitter should do it. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=485 , also note the virtual and real channels , virtual 68.1 is really 5.1 , most people are not aware of virtual and real channels.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Aug-2010, 7:51 AM   #3
John Candle

Reception

Here is a Bold and Artsy Beautiful antenna that you can put on the Outside. . Do not get the optional amplifier , the tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location. . http://www.channelmaster.com , CM3010 Suburban Stealthtenna . . A J Pole mount will work well with this antenna. http://www.solidsignal.com . Solidsignal has antennas , mounts and every thing for tv reception

Last edited by John Candle; 11-Aug-2010 at 4:38 AM.
Old 9-Aug-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
SWHouston
An Old Member

Attic Mounting an Antenna

Greetings Quinn,

I have an Attic Mount, foil backed Plyboard included, which I am very satisfied with. I'd try putting your Antenna in your attic. However, it's a good idea to get an Antenna which is a bit stronger, to compensate for shooting through the materials.

Your chart looks good, but you only need a "Modified" Range (Ch 7-69) Antenna, to get the job done.

There are several Antennas which should do the job well enough like the....
AntennaCraft HBU-22 or
Antennas Direct V-10 or
Channel Master 2016 or
Terrestrial Digital SR-15 or
Winegard HD7694P

There are probably several others (some BowTie's included) which would work also, but, I selected the "Yagi" type, because of it's reliability in the VHFhi range.

When mounting in an attic, take a look at the following Drawings, which may give you some ideas about the mount.

Attic Mount for TV Antenna
Hanging Mount for Antenna

Have a good Day !
S.W.
Typical OTA Reception Houston TX 77033
SWHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Aug-2010, 6:52 PM   #5
Quinn

Very Helpful info!

Thank you both for your help.

John, I do like the darth-vader-meets-bird CM3010, but hubby really doesn't want to do an exterior mount. We live in the frozen trundra, and there is a lot of wind and snow and ice up there. Weather is hard on everything here...

Good news is I have no sense of direction. Got out the floor plans and see now the north leg of this angled house is all attic. No need for signals to traverse the great room with antenna facing north northeast. Bad news is there is a birch tree on that side. Do you think it would be better to place an attic antenna lower and away from the birch LOS interference or higher but with the birch between it and north-northeast? I suspect it is a trial and error sort of thing.

Or despite the snow, etc should I lobby for the exterior CM3010? I really can see it mounted to 'fly' above the chimney wing of the house. Perfect unobstructed LOS there and easy feed to AV wall. If I went that route I'd need an installer. Any tips on finding one - I am in the Milwaukee area.
Old 10-Aug-2010, 1:40 AM   #6
John Candle

Smile Reception

Line of sight is the best. Look at mounting the antenna out side , below the roof line in a way that shields the antenna from the blast of the cold wind and snow. As an internet search I typed in , Structured wiring brookfield wi , and tv antenna installers brookfield wi . . And found several listings of business that install tv antennas and all manner of communications wiring.
Old 10-Aug-2010, 3:45 AM   #7
Quinn

Thank you John.

I have been reading various forums and came across someone well recommended. Spoke to him and he votes for the attic install - says the winters here are extremely hard on outdoor equipment. He'll come have a look. I am feeling positive about this.

This fourm (and you) have been very helpful. Much appreciated.

Quinn
Old 10-Aug-2010, 7:58 PM   #8
John Candle

Reception

The signals are Very Strong at your location. . I do not recommend a antenna amplifier. Many times the amplifier overloads with strong signals and interference in the house. Only use an amplifier in a have to case , not as a matter of course.

Last edited by John Candle; 11-Aug-2010 at 4:49 AM.