TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Nov-2012, 7:32 AM   #1
Netg

Will one antenna suffice?

All my channels are coming from NE and SW of my house, would the following antenna, Channel Master CM 2018R, be able to give me all the channels or should I consider a second antenna?

If I do use two antennas, would the $4 Channel 6 channel master join-tenna allow me to use two antennas aimed in different directions?

Would this result in significant signal loss? Should I look into using an a/b switch instead for the two antennas?

Again those last two questions are assuming one antenna won't get all the channels. I've not heard many good things from "omni" directional antennas, but I may not have heard it all so I'm open to suggestions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CM 2018R
The Channel Master CM 2018R is a compact outdoor TV antenna which will allow you to receive UHF, High VHF, FM and HD signals. For high VHF this antenna has a signal range of up to 60 miles and will pick up available local channels from 174 to 216 MHz. For UHF, it has a signal range of up to 45 miles and will pick up available local channels from 470 to 700 MHz. With an HD television you will pick up any crystal clear HD signals being broadcast in your area.

• Reception Range High VHF: Up to 60 miles
• Reception Range UHF: Up to 45 miles
• Picks up UHF, High VHF, FM and HD
• Antenna Size: 77.625 x 60 x 22 in
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Join-Tenna
Technical Specifications
• Channel 6 Input Insertion Loss: 2 dB
• Broadband Input Insertion Loss: 3 dB
• Bandstop filter isolation: 12.5 dB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All2.png (68.5 KB, 467 views)
Netg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Nov-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Stereocraig

Unless there's some reason you want KLTV, you can go w a UHF only set up.
If your runs aren't too long and you're using only one TV, you shouldn't need a preamp.
I prefer multiple antennas and A/B versus joining them and losing a few db.

A rotor is another option, but they sometimes fail and can be difficult to aim. exact.
Additionally, if your set doesn't offer the scanning option of ADD channels, you lose channels in one direction, when you rotate to scan in the opposite direction.

Maybe consider a couple of 8 bays.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Nov-2012, 6:33 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

The CM-2018 would be worth trying as a single antenna solution. The Shreveport signals are strong enough to expect reliable reception when the antenna is pointed in the Tyler, TX direction.

Try it. If needed, a second antenna can be added later, and the UHF performance of the 2018 is plenty for dedicating to one market or the other.

I don't see any reason to consider a Jointenna in this situation.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Nov-2012, 8:27 AM   #4
Netg

I get more channels from the NW but the channels with better programming are fewer and from the SE...first world problems...

I had thought about a rotator but the rotator alone costs more than two antennas lol.

I'm also looking into a DIY antenna...buuuuut that's another project on top of the many others I haven't done anything with, think I'll buy the channel master

Thanks for the speedy replies!
Netg is offline   Reply With Quote