TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Feb-2015, 3:31 PM   #1
signmastr

Rca tvpramp1r

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c157ec8ea18fd

I have a DB8 and a Antennacraft Y5713 aimed 180 and 147 as recommended with a RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp on one 18' mast. My signal levels vary wildly, going from signal to nothing in seconds. During a recent power outage I lost all UHF stations, but not VHF. Shouldn't I have lost all stations? I'm thinking my problems must be preamp related. I've contacted Audiovox several times and they referred this to technical. They replied they "don't have an answer" for me yet.
signmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2015, 3:53 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
During a recent power outage I lost all UHF stations, but not VHF. Shouldn't I have lost all stations?
No. Your VHF signals are moderately strong and with the gain of the antenna, probably have a reserve of about 40 dB of signal power. Unpowered amps usually turn into attenuators of around 30 dB (+/-10 dB), so there was still sufficient signal making it through the unpowered amp to provide reception of VHF 8 & 10.

Quote:
My signal levels vary wildly, going from signal to nothing in seconds.
Which specific channels? Under what conditions (windy, doesn't matter, etc)?

Do you have trees in front of the DB8 or do you have a clear shot to the horizon?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Feb-2015, 4:57 PM   #3
signmastr

Conditions don't really matter, I intermittently loose all channels, but especially 19 fox and 18 kusi. I have some local trees but do my best to aim accordingly.
Thanks...
Old 9-Feb-2015, 6:28 PM   #4
ADTech

Quote:
I intermittently loose all channels,
\

Including ch 8 & 10?

Quote:
I have some local trees but do my best to aim accordingly.
You have to aim for the horizon where the signals come from. If the trees are in that path, then they likely will affect reception, especially on UHF. Should they be in the required signal path and you try aiming off to the side of the trees so as to avoid them, you won't catch the desired signals because the antenna isn't aimed to accept them.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 10-Feb-2015, 3:03 PM   #5
signmastr

Sometimes I'll lose 8 & 10. Usually it's Fox 19 and or KUSI 18. Fox will drop while every other station is fine, even is it's signal is stronger. I have aimed the DB8 at 147, it's a little hard to tell with a flat antenna.
Audiovox has offered me a preamp exchange, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble if it fixes nothing.

Last edited by signmastr; 10-Feb-2015 at 3:06 PM.
Old 10-Feb-2015, 4:13 PM   #6
ADTech

Quote:
it's a little hard to tell with a flat antenna.
Use the concept of a right angle to your advantage. Add or subtract 90 from your heading, then align the plane of the reflector to that new heading (with the bowties still facing forward). It's a lot easier to get off to the side of the antenna and orient it that way.

As luck would have it, your required aiming direction for the VHF antenna is almost exactly perpendicular to your roof's main ridge line. The UHF antenna's aiming direction is going to be about 21 degrees to the "left" or east of that azimuth. Based on the aerial photos of your property, I don't see a tree-free path to Mt San Miguel, though.

Your location makes a pre-amp for UHF absolutely mandatory. VHF amplification isn't required, but it's unlikely to harm anything.

Old 10-Feb-2015, 5:32 PM   #7
No static at all

I seriously doubt it's the preamp. How far apart are the antennas? I am assuming the DB8 is on top?

Unfortunately the UHF stations are running mediocre power levels & you are 50 miles away. They are only running about 200-300,000 watts which isn't great for UHF. The signals are weak & unfortunately susceptible to dropouts.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Feb-2015, 9:41 PM   #8
signmastr

I did use TV Fool satellite pics to align to landmarks, VHF was easy.
Thanks for the right angle formula for UHF. I'll check that.
My antennas, DB8 on top are 3 about feet apart.
Old 12-Feb-2015, 7:43 AM   #9
signals unlimited

PA. DTV reception

I use the RCA amplifier in all of my U/V installs. It works great but I have noticed power supply sensitivity. Since the system failed after a power outage and possibly an electrical surge, I would take audiovox up on that exchange offer.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote