TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 13-Feb-2016, 6:23 PM   #1
tv4me

Winegard antennas

The HBU55 that I was going to buy off C-list got sold out from under me so i am back to square one and looking at the Winegard 7697 vs 7698. The second is 3' longer with a few more elements but seemingly not much more gain. Both have more gain than the Clearstream 5 by quite a lot. My questions are: 1. Are Winegards well made? And 2. is the 7698 significantly better than the 7697? Price difference is only about $15 but I wonder if the larger antenna would be more susceptible to wind and snow damage. I am 30 +or- miles from towers which are all high VHF except for one low VHF which I can live without. Tall trees nearby to my house in the direction of the signals. See more info in my previous post at http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15896
Thanks, Larry
tv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2016, 3:50 PM   #2
Tower Guy

You have a low VHF station in Bangor. The Winegard HD7084P is the right antenna for you.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2016, 3:54 PM   #3
tv4me

low VHF

As I said in my post, I am willing to live without the low VHF station for the easier installation. The 7084 is a very big antenna, maybe no longer than the others but quite a bit wider and more unwieldy when balancing on a ridge, especially when you are 66 years old.
Old 22-Feb-2016, 1:53 AM   #4
Billiam

Check Ebay. Still can find a HBU55 there.

Also, this antenna will work for all the VHF Hi stations. Cheaper alternative to the HBU 55.

http://www.abilityhdtv.com/product-i...nna-pid65.html

Last edited by Billiam; 22-Feb-2016 at 2:00 AM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2016, 7:25 PM   #5
tv4me

questions

Actually my questions in the post were: 1. Are Winegards well made? And 2. is the 7698 significantly better than the 7697? I was only considering the HBU55 because I found it cheap on Craigslist, but the seller did not hold it for me. Thanks, Larry
Old 24-Feb-2016, 4:38 PM   #6
Billiam

There are virtually no VHF antennas left unless the are part of a UHF configuration. Trying to offer a cost effect solution.

Stellar Labs has a couple of affordable yet fairly well built VHF Hi only antennas MCM Electronics carries them. Google it. May get lucky and still get WLBZ Ch. 2 since I've heard in some cases a VHF Hi antenna can pick up VHF lo if the signal is not too weak. A pre amp will help too.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Feb-2016, 6:34 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Stellar Labs has a couple of affordable yet fairly well built VHF Hi only antennas MCM Electronics carries them
FYI, "Stellar Labs" is MCM's "house brand". The antennas are made in China by Qiaohoa.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
eggman531916

I actually bought a couple UHF antennas from Stellar Labs and they performed pretty well and were decently built. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2415-/30-2415
Granted, I haven't bought any VHF from them, but my own experience in dealing with them was pretty decent. Hope this helps.
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote