TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-May-2013, 1:33 AM   #1
antennanewbie

50 miles away

My map link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda585baddad4

I just installed a RCA 43 Element TV Antenna Model Number: ANT3038XR using a 3 ft tripod over my attached garage. The antenna is 35 feet from power lines, which are just north of my house. I have a Winegard AP8275 Chromstar 2000 Series Antenna 29 Db Pre-Amplifier installed on the mast with a Antenna Auto Rotator with Remote Model Number: VH126R. I brought the cable through my garage attic to a junction box I used for the cable TV which still has cable hook up for the internet. In the box a Sonora HFS-3D DBS Satellite Diode Steered 3-Way Splitter (HFS3D) is used to go to 3 TV's, one in the kitchen, spare bedroom, and living room.

The reception in the kitchen and spare bedroom is good, which is about 10 to 15 feet away from the splitter, but wthr is the best reception of all channels. wish-tv is the worst, and I don't get wrtv-dt, wxin, and whmb-tv at all. The tv in the living room doesn't have good reception at all. The only channel with ok rception is wthr.

Please give me some pointers on how to get godd reception on all three tv's.

Thank you,

Antennanewbie
antennanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
elmo

Before we get into details, you are not mixing the antenna with the active cable internet connection, right? Those cannot be mixed.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2013, 4:41 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

..and do *not* use a diode-steered splitter intended for satellite.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
antennanewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
Before we get into details, you are not mixing the antenna with the active cable internet connection, right? Those cannot be mixed.
No mixing. The box is used to keep the connection out of the weather. If they were mixed would a get any reception at all?

Last edited by antennanewbie; 12-May-2013 at 1:06 AM.
Old 12-May-2013, 1:04 AM   #5
antennanewbie

I have two connections in the box. One is my cable modem that I use for internet, and the other is the three way splitter for the tv antenna.
Old 12-May-2013, 3:56 AM   #6
teleview

Tv antenna rotators Are Not Channel Surfing Friendly - must wait for antenna to rotate and there Will Be Domestic Issues about the direction the antenna is aimed.

The RCA ANT3038XR antenna is a Big Highly Directional antenna that is not a good choice for reception at your location.

To get the best reception of the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels using the ANT3038XR antenna of the Tv stations to the , west ->WTIU-DT PBS and from WTIU going from WTIU , clockwise to the , north ->WNDY-TV MyNetwork and the Tv stations in between those 2 Tv stations.

Aim the ANT3038XR antenna at about 330 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The aim direction can be adjusted for best reception.

Most digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

Also as a -Test- to Prove Reception by Eliminating active and passive devices that can cause trouble with reception.

Disconnect and Remove All parts of the AP8275 Preamplifier , Remove the preamplifier unit at the antenna , Remove the power injector , Remove the power supply. Actually disconnect and remove so there is no temptation to connect it in any way shape or form.

Replace the matching transformer (balun) at the antenna and connect a New coax to the New matching transformer and run the New single long continues length of coax through a open door or window to 1 Tv.

No grounding couplers , No couplers , No splitters , No passive or active devices.

________

Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

What Tv stations are and are not received now??

Are the channels your are having problems receiving , received now??

Is the weak signal strength WNDY received??

Is WTIU received??

((Best reception means , aim the antenna to find the best reception at one direction and leave the antenna aimed at that direction.

Do not keep rotating the antenna to improve reception on different Tv stations channels.))

The idea is to improve/eliminate issues that cause problems -> to certain point.

Not create more problems.

What is reception like now??

Last edited by teleview; 15-May-2013 at 1:22 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 14-May-2013, 3:57 AM   #7
teleview

Can also try aiming the ANT3038XR at WNDY MyNetwork at about 2 degree magnetic compass direction - north.

With the ANT3038XR aimed at WNDY , is WTIU PBS received reliably also??

Are your problem channels received reliably??
Old 15-May-2013, 1:42 AM   #8
antennanewbie

Television switch

I took the tv from the spare bedroom, 19 inch sanyo, did the tv rescan per your instructions in the living room where I am having reception problems and found the sanyo got all the same number of channels it was getting in the bedroom, 29 digital channels, which I checked out. I hooked up the 46 inch panasonic that is ussually in the living room and resanned the the TV, but no difference. there were anly 18 channels scanned and still got poor reception on all channels except 13. Since I rotated the antenna to the position you suggested the kitchen and spare bedroom are receiving all the channels I expected to get down to channel 8.

Do you suppose it is my TV? When I had cable the TV got hit by lightening and blew out the HDMI board. I called the support line and they suggested to switch to the RCA connection, which worked, so I never had the TV fixed. Do you suppose it damaged the tuner also, or other boards in the TV that hurt the TV's reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Tv antenna rotators Are Not Channel Surfing Friendly - must wait for antenna to rotate and there Will Be Domestic Issues about the direction the antenna is aimed.

The RCA ANT3038XR antenna is a Big Highly Directional antenna that is not a good choice for reception at your location.

To get the best reception of the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels using the ANT3038XR antenna of the Tv stations to the , west ->WTIU-DT PBS and from WTIU going from WTIU , clockwise to the , north ->WNDY-TV MyNetwork and the Tv stations in between those 2 Tv stations.

Aim the ANT3038XR antenna at about 330 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The aim direction can be adjusted for best reception.

Most digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

Also as a -Test- to Prove Reception by Eliminating active and passive devices that can cause trouble with reception.

Disconnect and Remove All parts of the AP8275 Preamplifier , Remove the preamplifier unit at the antenna , Remove the power injector , Remove the power supply. Actually disconnect and remove so there is no temptation to connect it in any way shape or form.

Replace the matching transformer (balun) at the antenna and connect a New coax to the New matching transformer and run the New single long continues length of coax through a open door or window to 1 Tv.

No grounding couplers , No couplers , No splitters , No passive or active devices.

________

Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

What Tv stations are and are not received now??

Are the channels your are having problems receiving , received now??

Is the weak signal strength WNDY received??

Is WTIU received??

((Best reception means , aim the antenna to find the best reception at one direction and leave the antenna aimed at that direction.

Do not keep rotating the antenna to improve reception on different Tv stations channels.))

The idea is to improve/eliminate issues that cause problems -> to certain point <- not create more.

What is reception like now??
Old 15-May-2013, 2:18 AM   #9
elmo

I think you have to strongly consider that any TV that took a surge, that now doesn't tune as well as the others, likely has a compromised tuner at this point. Options would be a repair, replacement or an external tuner.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote