TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2013, 2:42 PM   #1
killroy

How Can i improve reception

Like most of us on these forums i recently cut the cord and am looking for some help.I believe this is where i can get it. Here is my current set Up:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae107a6f368f

I have the clear stream2 antenna mounted about 30 feet up
The antenna is pointed roughly at 300-304 degrees where most the local network towers are.
When I ran the channel scan on my HDTV it picked up like 85 channels which was dam impressive.
However, vhf band ABC (7), and KCAL (9) which are located on same mountain are not coming in but my TV seems to know they are there or it would have never memorized them and i did have both for a short time.

My questions are these:

Would an amp help? If so which one? (preamp?, distribution amp? recommended models)

Would moving the antenna help?

Or do I need a different antenna all together? if so which one?

Thank you,
curious in California
killroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-2013, 3:43 PM   #2
teleview

Pratical and Usefull Information.

Install a Channel Master CM5016 antenna aimed at about 320 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------------

Install a Channel Master CM7778 preamplifier.

--------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at www.solidsignal.com

-------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

www.solidsignal.com

www.amazon.com

www.channelmasterstore.com

Last edited by teleview; 25-Oct-2013 at 7:19 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Oct-2013, 4:55 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The general Los Angeles area requires a ClearStream 2V, not a ClearStream 2 due to channels 7, 9, 11, & 13 being on VHF. Reception of those channels with a stock C2 would be very unpredictable.

You can add the VHF element (Accessories > Reflectors on our web site) to the C2 to convert it to a C2V, but your distance and terrain as shown on your plot suggests that you would be better served by a much larger, higher gain antenna system (7-51) plus a capable pre-amplifier.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2013, 2:36 AM   #4
killroy

I actually do have the 2v antenna. sorry for the typo.
would a preamp help me with the 2v?
Secondly, why 320 degrees?

Last edited by killroy; 26-Oct-2013 at 2:40 AM.
killroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2013, 3:01 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

RG-6 has less loss at VHF frequencies than UHF frequencies

To your original question, "Would an amp help? ...", It's possible, but by itself, not likely. I think you need to consider using an antenna with greater gain at VHF frequencies and, I suspect there is more UHF reception to be had if you increase the gain in that band also.

The job of the antenna is to collect enough signal power from the air to ensure reliable reception. The job of an amplifier is to 'push' signal through loss in cable and splitters down stream of the amplifier. No amplifier has the ability to 'pull' signal from the air, antenna or coax. If you have only one TV connected and there is no more than 50' of coax between the antenna and TV, it's not likely that you would see much if any improvement with the addition of an amplifier.

Your post suggests you are getting acceptable reception of some UHF signals... true? If so, one would expect VHF signals to be able to make it to the TV tuner, with less attenuation (RG-6 coax has roughly twice as much loss at UHF frequencies as VHF frequencies)... IF the antenna was receiving a viable copy of the signals.

I would have no qualms about suggesting a much higher performance system. The CM-5016 suggested by teleview is a valid solution. I would suggest an Antennas Direct DB8e + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier. If you have any interest in the programing on real CH-2 though CH-6 in the area, I would select a separate L-VHF antenna that could be aimed as needed. (It can be combined with the other antennas into a single down-lead.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2013, 4:12 AM   #6
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

Directional antennas receive the best in the forward direction.

To a lesser degree at forward angles to the directional antenna.

To a lesser degree at back angles to the directional antenna.

To a lesser degree at the back of the directional antenna.

Directional antennas receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the directional antenna.

Looking at the tvfool Current Plus Pending Applications Included Digital Channels tvfool radar map and channel list and signal strengths and the channel numbers (frequencies) .

The 320 degree magnetic compass aim direction puts the receivable Digital Tv transmitters at the forward direction and angles to the CM5016 type and kind of antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Oct-2013 at 5:48 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Oct-2013, 5:33 AM   #7
teleview

Pratical and Useful Infprmation.

Of the type and kind of antennas such as a CM5016.

The smaller CM5016 receives more at the front of antenna then the C2v antenna.
The CM5016 is less directional because it is smaller , being less directional in the forward direction , the CM5016 receives better at angles to the antenna.

The Winegard HD7084P antenna is a type and kind of antenna as the CM5016 antenna.

For more reception in the forward direction , install a big antenna , install a Winegard HD7084P antenna aimed at the 300 ~ 304 direction.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Oct-2013 at 2:56 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Oct-2013, 2:02 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Swapping to a CM5016 makes little sense. While it will work better on high-VHF, it includes low-VHF element that have nothing to do (KRVD-LP is not on the air with little prospect of ever being built). Likewise, there's nothing coming off Mt Wilson that a 7084 is going to pick up. Plus, the CM5016's UHF performance is less than that of a C2V.

So, back to your original question of "Will a pre-amp help?". The answer is "it depends".

If the problem is simply low signal level coming off the antenna, the answer becomes "Probably some, maybe".

If the problem is local interference typically cause by electrical stuff, the answer is "No".

Try an FM filter first (Radio Shack 15-0024, $5) to see if it's local FM that's the problem. If not, then add a suitable pre-amp such as the CM7778 or the inexpensive RCA pre-amp.

However, as has already been noted twice, your most likely way to improve reception of channels 7-13 is to simply move up to a more capable VHF antenna. Our ClearStream 5 would be suggested (it can be combined with the C2V's UHF section) or your could go much larger with a 10-element high-VHF antenna with it's much increased size and performance. You might also start over with a large (10-14') 7-51 combo.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 26-Oct-2013 at 2:06 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
teleview

Pratical and Useful Information.

KRVD-LP has a construction permit to transmit on VHF low band channel 5.

transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?facid=128327
------

Tv stations are transmitting in the VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

And other Tv stations have construction permits to transmit in the low band channels 2 thru 6.

The CM5016 and HD7084P antennas are All Channel antennas that receive All the Channels.

The Current Tv Channels that are being Transmitted and Received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band Channels 7 thru 13.

UHF band Channels 14 thru 51.

The CM5016 and HD7084P antennas and other All Channel Antennas of the type and kind.

Receive All The Channels that are Transmitted and Received.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Oct-2013 at 3:05 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 4:17 AM   #10
teleview

Practical and Useful Infoation.

The ,Y10713 and the C5 are not designed to receive the VHF low band channels 2thru 6.
Old 27-Oct-2013, 7:38 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

best of the best, ???

I was trying to be gracious when I said the 5016 was 'valid'. With UHF gain of 7.5 dBi, it's a step down from the CS2 which specs at 10.2 dBi. The 5016 would offer some improvement in the High VHF band over the existing dipole. But when there are no L-VHF signals to be received, one has to wonder why so much emphasis is being placed on installing L-VHF capability that may well be pointing in the wrong direction if a future L-VHF signal comes on the air.

It's up to the OP to decide if the UHF performance of the CS2 is adequate in their application. If it is, then the sub $40 Y10713 seems to be a reasonable option to improve H-VHF reception, certainly more reasonable than the $89.99 Channel Master is asking (for a lower performance option).

As ADTech has suggested, installing an FM trap may be the cheapest solution all together.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Oct-2013 at 7:41 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2013, 8:04 PM   #12
teleview

Practical and Useful Information.

Providing clear understandable information about the different aspects of reception by all those involved is Ok.

Last edited by teleview; 27-Oct-2013 at 8:06 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.