Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jan-2014, 7:18 PM   #1
Richarama

Newbie needs some help

Hi there everyone,

Before I start lets get this part out of the way:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94e391712bc6

I would like to start receiving OTA High Def. TV to complement my Roku player. I don't mind how many channels I get, but I'm excited about getting HD reception OTA, I mostly want main affiliates NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, CW and FOX.

I do have an old DirecTV dish on my house (on roof of 2nd story) that has two coaxial cables running from it, although I'm not sure where they end up. I ultimately want TV signals on 3 televisions in my house and don't mind one of those having an indoor wall mounted antenna. I was hoping to use the mount for the DirecTV dish (looks like a universal J pole) to hold an HD antenna. The dish was from a previous owner, I don't know the set up, or quality of coaxial cables.

Please help me decide what Antenna I need. I don't want an amplified antenna because I don't want a power running up there and I don't think I'll need one anyway. I would like to be able to buy the antenna from amazon.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but there are some nearby tree's in my garden south my house that are about 40 feet high.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you experts and finally being able to cut the cable TV millstone from around my neck

Best Regards

P.S. I really am new to this so feel free to ask any questions I may have forgotten to give info on

Last edited by Richarama; 20-Jan-2014 at 7:50 PM.
Richarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 9:28 PM   #2
Richarama

Austin Texas help

Hi there everyone,

Before I start here's my plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94e391712bc6

I would like to start receiving OTA High Def. TV to complement my Roku player. I don't mind how many channels I get, but I'm excited about getting HD reception OTA, I mostly want main affiliates NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, CW and FOX.

I do have an old DirecTV dish on my house (on roof of 2nd story) that has two coaxial cables running from it, although I'm not sure where they end up. I ultimately want TV signals on 3 televisions in my house and don't mind one of those having an indoor wall mounted antenna. I was hoping to use the mount for the DirecTV dish (looks like a universal J pole) to hold an HD antenna. The dish was from a previous owner, I don't know the set up, or quality of coaxial cables.

Please help me decide what Antenna I need. I don't want an amplified antenna because I don't want a power running up there and I don't think I'll need one anyway. I would like to be able to buy the antenna from amazon.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but there are some nearby tree's in my garden south my house that are about 40 feet high.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you experts and finally being able to cut the cable TV millstone from around my neck

Best Regards

P.S. I really am new to this so feel free to ask any questions I may have forgotten to give info on
Old 22-Jan-2014, 1:42 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
Above the High Peak of the Roof install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU44 antenna aimed at about 167 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

----------

No antenna system amplifier is required.

----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.m

Yes the coax cables that are connected to the dish can be used for the antenna.

Disconnect and Remove All satellite system components such as and not limited to , multi-plexers , multi-switches , splitters , couplers , amplifiers , power injectors , power supplies , and etc. .

------

If the dish mount does not work , here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com

-----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Tv reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice is to install the HBU44 antenna and any other antennas at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.
At your location that is . South , West , North West , North , North East.

Is best to have the HBU44 antenna further away from trees in the directions of reception , your main direction of reception is South and a little east.

-----------

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transiting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tuners will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Scan for , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.

Last edited by teleview; 22-Jan-2014 at 2:49 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 22-Jan-2014, 4:26 AM   #4
Richarama

Thank you teleview.
That hbu44 seems huge but if that's what it needs then that's what it needs
Regards
Old 22-Jan-2014, 9:40 AM   #5
StephanieS

Rich,

Greetings.

Teleview gives you a strong powerful antenna for your situation that'll overcome your tree situation.

If those trees weren't present, you'd be a candidate for a smaller antenna like an Antennacraft HBU11 that mounts up to your existing J-Pole from the satellite company. However, trees are fickle business. If you are shooting through them best to go bigger.

Regards.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote