TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jun-2012, 5:42 PM   #1
texas1824

Trouble getting a couple of Stations

Hi. I'm new here. Here is my signal analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349c8b4e32877

I recently cancelled U-verse TV in favor of OTA to save money. I purchased a Clearstream 2 antenna and installed it on the eaves of my back porch, which faces SSE. I'm getting all of the channels in the blue range except KCIN and K14LM. However, my main concern is with KSAT and KLRN. I basically get those, but they cut in and out a lot with a lot of pixillation. Whereas most of the stations show about 90%-100% on the tv signal meter. Those are typically showing about 60%-70%. My first thought was that the antenna needed to be higher, but then it occurred to me that the CS2 is a UHF antenna and thus might be having trouble picking up the VHF. What is the solution? A new antenna? A second VHF antenna? Also I have the antenna split between three tuners. I purchase a distribution amplifier. Is this necessary or would a splitter work ok in my case? Any help would be appreciated.
texas1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2012, 6:05 PM   #2
signals unlimited

Contact Antennas Direct and purchase a VHF up-grade kit for your CS2. That will fix both KSAT and KLRN.

You don't need the amplifier unless you have long runs of coax.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2012, 6:09 PM   #3
texas1824

Thanks, Signals. I didn't know I could get a VHF upgrade kit. I'll look into it.
Old 26-Jun-2012, 1:30 PM   #4
texas1824

The upgrade arrived yesterday and worked perfectly. I still wabt to move the antenna to a better and higher location. The gable on the front (NNW) side of the house would work I think, and there a mast (5 ft.) from a previous owner's antenna installation (I think). The location clears the roof to the south and should probably allow us to get a few more stations. The current location has the roof to the west, so I'm presuming that's keeping from getting some of the more westerly stations. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by texas1824; 26-Jun-2012 at 1:37 PM.
Old 26-Jun-2012, 8:01 PM   #5
signals unlimited

Going higher, clearing the roof. These are good moves. The problem is that when you clear the path for reception from other directions, your antenna may need to be rotated also. The CS2 is somewhat dirrectional. Another consideration is the distance to the new group of stations. Reception of stations over 40 to 50 miles may require an amplifier.

A rotor and an amplifier will deliver the other stations, but it's a little tricky to set-up. Let me know if you want to go that route and I will be glad to walk you thru it.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-2012, 8:37 PM   #6
Electron

For reception of Tv stations of more then one direction try a Winegard MS2002 antenna mounted above the roof.

http://www.winegarddirect.com

http://www.solidsignal.com

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Jan-2013 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Deleting 'boiler plate' spam style content
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2013, 6:27 PM   #7
texas1824

Is a second antenna, rather than a rotator, a possible solution?
Old 30-Jan-2013, 9:04 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

There is no reason not to consider a multiple antenna installation. You get the flexibility of selecting the ideal antenna for each direction you wish to cover. In your situation, one option would be to use a rotator mounted DX'ing antenna (a large all-channel) as the second antenna. The majority of the household would not need to be troubled with the control of an antenna if they are connected to the 'local' antenna.

Making use of the signals from two or more antennas can be handled several ways:

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Jan-2013 at 9:09 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2013, 9:17 PM   #9
teleview

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the CS2 with the VHF metal reception rods kit at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Install the antenna -->UP HIGH<--.

Install the antenna so the antenna has the best possible view to the , north west , west , south west , south , south east.

Remove the Reflector Screen.

The reflector screen is not the UHF loops.

The reflector screen is not the VHF metal reception rods.

The reflector screen is the screen , remove the reflector screen.

With the reflector screen removed the CS2 with the VHF metal reception rods will receive 2 directions.

At the front and back of the antenna.

With the reflector screen removed aim the front or back of the antenna at about 300 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Rescan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

Is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCWX being received??

How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Last edited by teleview; 31-Jan-2013 at 2:08 AM.
Old 31-Jan-2013, 9:32 PM   #10
texas1824

Thanks, Ground. That's helpful information.

Thanks, Teleview. So, are you saying that the reflector on the CS 2 is not necessary? I have not yet moved the antenna. Where is it now I do not get KCWX. It is currently blocked by my roof. That will change when I move the antenna.
Old 31-Jan-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
teleview

The reflector screen increases the forward gain of the UHF reception loops in one direction.

Removing the reflector screen will allow the UHF reception loops part of the antenna to receive more Tv stations channels at other directions.
Old 6-Feb-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
texas1824

I finally got the antenna moved facing about 300 degrees without the screen. I'm picking up almost all the major stations. However, KLRN's signal is only around 70 at best. KSAT is in the 80's. During the day it doesn't come in without much pixillation. I am noticing no trouble with the uhf stations. I am getting KMYS at about 70 percent. I am amazed that this angle doesn't seem to be affecting the digital UHF stations to the south. They are still in the 90's as far as strength. Still no KCWX. I think I'm going to have to face the antenna toward KLRN (about 186 degrees) to be able to get it consistently. I'll have to see how that will affect KMYS when I do that. Any thoughts?
Old 6-Feb-2013, 2:38 PM   #13
teleview

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , Digital Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install a antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Removing the Reflector Screen allows the UHF reception loops to receive more signal at the 'back' of the antenna.

With the Reflector Screen on , the UHF reception loops receive more signal toward the front of the antenna but less at the back of the antenna.

Most reception situations , 1 aim direction will receive all the Tv stations.

However , some reception situation , antenna aiming is Experimental.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

Digital Broadcast Tv tuners can develop , Digital Glitches , that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Channel scan.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

KCWX is transmitting on VHF low band channel 5 , the VHF low band channels are 2 thru 6.

The CS2 UHF channel 14 thru 51 , and with the VHF reception rods channels 7 thru 13 , and is a small antenna.

If not able to get the small CS2 with the VHF high band reception rods to receive the Tv stations.

Will need to go to a Bigger antenna for better reception of the , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 , and VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

And might need to go to 2 antennas.

However give the CS2 with the VHF high band reception rods , a good try first.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Feb-2013 at 2:22 PM.
Old 6-Feb-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
texas1824

I am not having trouble with uhf. So, if after experimenting with the CS2+VHF rods I'm still not able to get KCWX, perhaps use the CS2 for UHF and replace the VHF rods with a larger traditional vhf antenna with more and larger rods?
Old 7-Feb-2013, 5:48 AM   #15
teleview

KCWX Channel 5 , is at 333 degree magnetic compass.

KSAT Channel 12 , is at 164 degree magnetic compass.

KLRN Channel 09. is at 187 degree magnetic compass.

Using a Real big High Gain antenna such as a Winegard HD5030 channels 2 thru 13 antenna , aimed at 333 degree magnetic compass will provide great reception of KCWX channel 5 ,

However that will put , KLRN 09 at 187 degree , and KDAT 12 at 164 degree , on the back of this highly directional in the forward direction HD5030 antenna.

The signal strengths of KLRN and KSAT are Strong , Yes Strong enough to be received through the back of the antenna , however you say there are reception problems with KLRN and KSAT.

And aiming the HD5030 at KLRN and KSAT is not an option because KCWX is Weak Signal Strength , so do not want KCWX on the back of the HD5030 antenna.

And the HD5030 is one big honk'n antenna.

There has got to be a different way to do this.

So I suggest disconnect the VHF High band channels 7 thru 13 VHF reception rods.

And connect a Antenna Craft CS600 channels 2 thru 13 antenna connected to the VHF connection of the UVSJ UHF/VHF Separator/Joiner.

And aim the CS600 at about 333 degree magnetic compass direction.

The CS600 does have long reception rods for the reception of the VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , so will better receive KCWX channel 05. However at lower gain then the HD5030.

However that is some what off set buy the advantage of the CS600 to receive better at the back of the CS600 , KLRN channel 09 , KSAT channel 12.

I recommend give the CS600 a try.

Aim the CS600 at about 333 degree magnetic compass direction , KCWX.

Disconnect and remove the VHF high band reception rods.

And connect the CS600.

Can buy a CS600 at , http://www.antennacraft.net , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.solidsignal.com.

The CS600 VHF antenna can be installed above or below the CS2 UHF antenna.

Seperate the antennas by about 3 feet.

Also the antenna aiming and location is Experimental.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Feb-2013 at 4:13 AM.
Old 8-Feb-2013, 7:10 PM   #16
texas1824

So CS600 would be strong enough to get KCWX? The spec say that it has a low VHF range of about 40 miles. KCWX is about 46 milles from me.
Old 9-Feb-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
teleview

-->As always<-- , mileage numbers are a general target number , mileage numbers are a marketing tool.

The signal strength at you location of KCWX is strong enough to be received by the long metal reception elements of the CS600.

However I can not say for 100% certain that reliable reception will happen.

There are reception situations where the only way to find out for sure is , Try It.

If you buy from places like , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

The price is low for the CS600. And ask if will take the antenna back if it does not do the job.

In part , I am responding with antenna recommendations based on what will work , sometimes I give the reasons why , And I am responding to what you say is happening with reception.

When I give some reasons why , Many people Panic , It does not mean , throw on the brakes and stop and not go forward. (So mostly I do not go into the in's and out's of reception)

Reasons why are not a world stoping event , the reasons of the reception situation are like a balancing act of the situation , and is the Green Light to forward.

If I did not think the CS600 would work , I would not recommend it.

Last edited by teleview; 11-Feb-2013 at 5:51 PM.
Old 11-Feb-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
texas1824

Thanks, Teleview. I was just trying to covet the bases. I'm still pretty new at this. The cs600 does seem like a good deal, especially considering that it's close to the same price I paid for the current VHF rods attached to the cs2. I do think I'll need to get a new mast. The current one is about a five foot, I believe, so it doesn't give me me enought space for 2 antennas 3 feet apart, especially since it only extends about 3-4 feet above the roof. I think a 10 foot should work.
Old 11-Feb-2013, 6:02 PM   #19
teleview

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , reflecting , absorbing , blocking , Digital Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the antenna/s at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The starting aim direction of a antenna is the -->starting aim direction of the antenna.

The antenna can be adjusted/turned to find the best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some Digital Tv's also have a signal Quality meter.
Old 12-Feb-2013, 4:40 PM   #20
texas1824

Thanks, Teleview. Do you think that KPXL 26 is a possibility or is that probably undoable without a larger UHF antenna?