TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Oct-2015, 4:42 PM   #21
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
So what this seems to be telling me is that there could be KTMF signal at my mast location, but without the added strength from the reflection the antenna doesn't pick it up.

2) What numbers do I need to get from the Stacker manufacturer on its UHF gain to be able to compare with other UHF on the market? (i.e. if they tell me that its UHF gain is ~10 db then I would think I need something 20-30db gain to pick up a signal at my current location).

FC
Correct.

The estimated gain of the HD Stacker of 10 db seems about right. It's UHF section is similar to the Winegard HD9075P. Here's the data on that antenna.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

If the ground reflection is the ONLY difference, you'd need an antenna with 6 db more gain than the Stacker if installed at your less than optimum location. That narrows your selection of antennas to the 91XG (or one of the clones of that design) or a DB-8e.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2015, 5:52 PM   #22
FrenchConnection

Thanks Tower.

On Monday I'll see if the seller can provide any additional information on the UHF gain for the antenna which should let me know what my antenna options are.

I realize that I benefit the most from the antenna; however, out of curiosity, if the Kitztech KT-200 provides 24 db of gain, and my current Winegard LNA 200 provides 18 db can the 6db of gain be made up solely from the pre-amp?

Thanks for all the help, now I just need to get the household accountant on board with some additional spending .

FC
FrenchConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2015, 6:39 PM   #23
Tower Guy

No, the extra gain of the 24 db preamp offers almost no improvement.
Old 18-Oct-2015, 8:48 PM   #24
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The difference in gain between the amps, as far as picking up a very weak signal, is largely irrelevant. The important factors in that particular circumstance is the cumulative effect of the antenna's net (realized) gain and the noise figure of the preamp.

When it comes to noise figure, the KT200 will offer almost a 2 dB improvement based on memory. It's been a few years since I tested one.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 18-Oct-2015 at 9:16 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Oct-2015, 2:14 AM   #25
FrenchConnection

So I spoke with a rep today about the HD Stacker and they indicated that the antenna has a UHF gain of 16.2dB (they stated that one can test in a number of ways, but the representative indicated that the 16.2dB would be consistent with how Winegard would test an antenna).

Based upon this information, the testing that I did Saturday and Tower's info on how much gain (up to 6dB) I could have been getting due to wave reflection off of the pavement it would appear that I would need an antenna with a UHF gain in the range of 22dB to receive in my current mast location.

From Tower's earlier post it appears that the best UHF gain on the commercial antenna were in the 16-17dB range.

Unless there is other test data that would indicate that the UHF gain on the HD Stacker is less than 16dB it would appear that my best option would be to relocate the mast. However this would need to wait until at least next spring/summer.

Based on keeping the antenna at the current mast location:
It is possible that upgrading the pre-amp from the Wingard LNA-200 to the Kitztech KT-200-COAX could reduce noise by 0.5 to 2 dB however based on the testing this doesn't appear to have a high percentage chance of solving the problem.

I'm not opposed to trying a two antenna system; however before investing in that test the household accountant wants decent odds it may work.

Based on the information presented, do folks think that trying a 2 antenna setup as previously discussed by MikeBear and Rabbit in posts #7 & #9 have a decent chance of success (at the current location)?

Thanks

FC
Old 20-Oct-2015, 6:17 PM   #26
Tower Guy

In my opinion the HD stacker does not have 16 db gain. I stand by my original observation that it looks much like the Winegard HD 9075P and therefore should have about 11 db gain.
Old 13-Feb-2016, 1:41 AM   #27
FrenchConnection

Hello to anyone still following this thread.

Winter is starting to ebb a little up here, which is getting me to the point of acquiring parts to try in a new assembly similar to what was posted by Rabbit 73 and using an antenna of a gain on the order of 16-17 db for my UHF signal.

Based upon Tower's post above I was looking at either:
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html (As linked in Tower's Post)
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=HDB91X (From an earlier post)

Other than the $50 list price and different vendors it appears the gain is similar ~16dB. Is the extra $50 worth it?

The other question is since I delayed in purchasing materials it appears MCM has stopped carrying (or is out of stock) of the FM Trap proposed. Would this one from Amazon appear equivalent? If not can anyone point me to an appropriate item?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

FC