TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Aug-2013, 9:43 PM   #1
rpca

Is this the right antenna for me?

Hello,

I am planning to cancel my cable tv and receive OTA channels. According to TV Fool report I need to get an outdoor antenna to receive most of the channels. Some members in the forum have mentioned ClearStream 4 Ultra Long Range Outdoor DTV Antenna is a good antenna. I was wondering if this antenna will help me to get good reception. If so, can I install it in attic?

TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae9333a465fc

Thank you.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Aug-2013 at 9:46 PM. Reason: repair TVFR link
rpca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2013, 9:59 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

You can certainly try mounting in the attic... That will reduce your reception, how much is dependent on the attic and roof construction.

The CS4 is an excellent UHF antenna. But you have several VHF signals to consider also.

Each of the station call sign listed on a TV Fool report is an active link to a profile for that station. Click on any of the stations transmitting from the Sutro tower and you'll see that you are very close to having a direct line of sight to those signals... Can you generate a second TV Fool report using 25' as the antenna height?

It would be great to see the TVFR for the added height before making a specific recommendation.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
rpca

This is the new TV Fool report with 25' antenna height.

Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae6b53bfc16b

Most of the channels that I am interested are in UHF frequency. If I installed CS4, does it mean I cannot get VHF channels?

Beside CS4, any other antennas I should consider?

Thanks.
Old 22-Aug-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Thanks for posting the second TVFR. The signals from the northwest are significantly improved.

If reliable reception of the signals from the Sutro Tower complex are a priority, I would definitely recommend mounting outdoors. A Winegard HD7694P would have both UHF and High-VHF capability. Aimed at about 310° per a compass, you should expect reception from both major groups of signals. This assumes you actually mount outdoors at about 25' AGL, clear of major obstructions such as vegetation and buildings.

I would not expect the CS4 to reliably receive KGO or KNTV.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Aug-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: CS4 - KGO - KNTV
Old 23-Aug-2013, 3:04 AM   #5
rpca

Thanks for your great advice.

I have one more question. Is ClearStream 2V UHF/VHF a good alternative to the Winegard? I am trying to install a "low profile" antenna so that it won't be too standout.

Thanks again.
Old 23-Aug-2013, 3:19 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

I favor the directional characteristics of the 7694 which make it able to receive less interfering reflected signal from the sides.

But the C2V is a good option also. It's going to have lower VHF performance than the 7694 but you have plenty of signal in the air. You won't have a lack of raw signal power.

Old 27-Aug-2013, 5:07 PM   #7
rpca

I installed the C2V on the roof as you had suggested and was able to receive majority of the channels. However, there are few channels experience signal drop-off ( <40% signal strength) periodically. The length of cable from antenna to TV is about 65+ feet. I am thinking the long cable run might have caused weaken signal for those channels. Do you think an amplifier or a preamp would help?

Thanks.
Old 28-Aug-2013, 8:46 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

No. You have ample signal strength, enough to service hundreds of feet of coax. You'll need to work on quality of the signal. Most likely, your problems are due to the hill(s) in your signal path towards SF and you'll need to experiment with antenna height and location.

First, try to identify the specific channels/stations you'd having issues with.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote