Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-May-2010, 5:36 PM   #1
axdenied

Trying to figure out what antenna I should purchase

Hi all,

First, here's the TVFool signal report :

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c2012ad5274fa9

I am new to OTA TV, and I'd like to know what antenna you suggest that I buy. I currently live in a condo, so I can't install an antenna outside.

Are there any good antennas that can be used inside ? I searched on Futureshop's website and I found this one:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...2c52be31f6en02

Is it any good?

Thanks
axdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-May-2010, 7:21 AM   #2
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

My one word answer to the antenna from futureshop is , NO!! . Any way here are some questions. The Condo and your unit , does it have a window or a balcony (preferably not ground floor) that looks to East at 87 degree magnetic compass reading , that is where the transmitters are located Monteral . The transmitters are CBFT 2 Analog , CFTM 10 Analog , CBMT 20 Digital , CFCF 12 Analog , CIVM 27 Digital , CFJP 42 Digital , CKMI 46 Analog , CFTU 29 Analog , CJNT 62 Analog. . . You can find the exat locations of the transmitters at the >>START Maps<< part of tvfool. . The web sites that every one goes to find antennas and more is http://www.solidsignal.com . and http://www.starkelectronic.comThis is next question to answer because I am gathering information so as to better under stand what to do in your situation. Are there Any small satellite dishes mounted on the out side walls or on the roofs of the condo buildings? Are you the owners and or paying for the condo? Is there a tv antenna on the roof of the condo building ? .. .. In what direction does the living room face? ALL these are common questions. One more question , does the out side of the building have metal siding , metal blocks television signals.

Last edited by teleview; 16-May-2010 at 7:38 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 16-May-2010, 7:15 PM   #3
axdenied

Hi Teleview,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

To answer your questions:

1) There isn't a window / balcony pointing at 87 degrees east.
2) There are no satellite dishes mounted on the outside walls or on the roof of the building. We are not allowed to mount any unfortunately.
3) I am the owner of the condo.
4) There isn't a TV antenna on the roof of the building
5) The living room faces in the South / East or North / West direction (the back of the living room points to North / West, and the TV is positioned on a wall that points to South / East)
6) I am not sure what you mean by metal sidings / metal blocks television signals ? There aren't any metallic columns or anything on the walls outside

I hope I answered all your questions, let me know please if I can be of any help!

Thanks
axdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

My suggestion is a Plain Jane Rods and Loop Indoor Antenna , sometimes called rabbit ears. To understand how to adjust the antenna Extend the rods out horizontal , now with your arms extended out horizontal from the left and right side of your body , face the the television transmitters at Montreal. Adjust the television antenna the same way. This is the starting point for adjusting the antenna. Now you can adjust rods up and down , in and out and turn the antenna this way and that way for best reception. . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 Here is my comment on what is happening here in the USA and In Canada. . . . So much HATRED of Tv antennas and any other antennas. I feel Very Sad in side. Many humans are Mentaly Ill because they hate antennas. O they will present all kinds of reasons why you or any one else can not have antennas , the truth is they are Mentaly Ill.

Last edited by teleview; 19-May-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 17-May-2010, 4:58 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

There's a forum at Digital Home (a Canadian site) where you will likely find people who have dealt with your situation. I highly recommend checking them out before buying anything. Do avoid that RCA antenna - the one customer review was less than enthusiastic.

You've got stations on all parts of the TV spectrum. A design that has been recommended for indoors is the Terk HDTVi.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote