Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Apr-2010, 2:58 AM   #1
grison

Indoor Antenna Advice

Hello,

I'm seeking an indoor or attic antenna for HDTV use. My profile is as follows:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9c6b45287aaaa2

I'm really just interested in the green channels, which seem to cover all the major networks. I plan to split the signal to two or three tuners.

I have a two-story stucco home with a tile roof, and I could mount the antenna in the attic if needed. If there's something that could just sit on a shelf next to the entertainment center, then that would be fine too.

Thanks very much!
- Jeff

Last edited by grison; 21-Apr-2010 at 6:27 PM.
grison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2010, 1:14 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

I don't have any direct experience with the indoor models, but I do have couple of observations that may be helpful:

1) If you ran your TVFool with an antenna height of 10 feet (the default), then I think you should have enough signal inside to use the smaller designs.

2) You have a couple of VHF channels in the list - be sure what you buy has rabbit ears integrated with it.

3) Don't mount the antenna too close to the entertainment center. How close is too close? Not sure, but 10 feet would certainly do.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2010, 2:39 PM   #3
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
whatever indoor antenna you use is likely to have a problem with channels 9 and 10: if you install a Winegard HD-7694P or a AntennaCraft HBU-33 in your attic, you should see all the Sacramento stations clearly.

http://antennacraft.net/pdfs/HBU33.pdf
http://winegard.com/kbase/upload/1450290.pdf
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/AntInstallGuide.pdf
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2010, 6:27 PM   #4
grison

Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to go with the Winegard HD-7694P in the attic, and if that doesn't work out I'll have the option to move it up to the roof.

One more question (please forgive my ignorance here)...

I currently have cable TV throughout the house, and my ultimate goal is to ditch the subscription. If I do so, can I connect the antenna to the existing coaxial distribution lines that the cable TV was using (after physically disconnecting the incoming cable, of course)? In other words, is it "worth trying" to see if the signal is good enough, so that I can avoid running new coax to individual locations -- or is it just universally unworkable?

Thanks again for the assistance!
grison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2010, 7:39 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

I reused the house wiring for my attic install. I may be having some issues with local electrical interference, but I don't have as much signal to work with than you do. It's certainly worth trying!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2010, 2:16 AM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
If you have multiple TV sets currently connected to cable TV, you can reuse the wiring, and, if there is a splitter somewhere on or inside the house, it should divide the signal for you without much of a problem. However, if you are using more than 2 TV outlets currently, it would behoove you to add a small distribution amplifier like a Winegard HDA-100 or a Channel Master CM3410 in the coax line after the antenna and BEFORE the splitter to minimize splitting and line losses inherent in multiple TV set operation.

A word of warning, however: Stucco exteriors and tile roofs are real signal killers, and even a high-quality TV antenna installed in the attic may have issues seeing enough signal. Your BEST alternative is always an outdoor installation, preferably as high as you possibly can go.

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 22-Apr-2010 at 2:19 AM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote